FTB Update. (New launcher + FTB Omnia released.)

celsiusqc

Apr 21, 2020
TLDR

FTB App Beta released today.

FTB Omnia (First FTB Kitchen Sink Pack released today)

Downloads available at https://feed-the-beast.com/

So it has been several months now since we made the announcement that we were going to start working on an upgraded version of the FTB App. With this in mind I wanted to write a post that contains all of the information about all of these changes.

FTB App

Today sees the launch of the new FTB App. This has been created by the team at CreeperHost and has been designed to follow the same principles as the original launcher. The new launcher retains the simplicity of the old launcher and updates the interface to more modern standards. In addition to this the entire back end of the launcher is now designed to be much more efficient with your resources. Whilst the launcher itself is running it should use a minimal amount of RAM, in addition to this when downloading updates to packs you will only download the mods you actually need rather than an entire modpack every time you need to update a single mod.

In addition we have also designed the new launcher to run both FTB Packs and also third party packs. Upon release, the launcher will only carry FTB packs. This will be quickly opened up to allow third party pack makers to release mod packs on the FTB App if they wish to do so. Whilst we are still finalising the details of how this will happen our intention is to remove the distinction between FTB Mod packs and third party mod packs on the new launcher so that all mod packs are listed together.

The new launcher will no longer directly run Minecraft, but will instead create a new profile within native Minecraft launcher (similar to the way the twitch app works). This is one of the steps that we want to do in order to improve our process moving forwards. It should also be noted that the new app is designed for the installation of complete mod packs and is not intended to be used as a tool for the downloading of individual mods. Whilst it is possible to add or remove additional mods to or from a modpack, updating the pack will reset the pack back to default.

For people downloading the launcher on the first day, you may see a warning from Microsoft or anti-virus warning you that the software is an unrecognised app. This should however resolve itself fairly quickly. You may also see slower download speeds that normal initially but these should also resolve themselves quickly and should speed up both as we balance the network and also you build up a cache of mods.

Finally I wanted to mention that with the new launcher, this is now essentially split into 2 projects. The first project is the launcher itself, which we have already discussed. The second is a new back end where the mods themselves will be hosted. This back end is controlled and run by CreeperHost. Our intention here is to at some point open up this back end so other people can access it. However this is still in early planning. When more news becomes available we can release it.

(NOTE:- For any issues with the launcher, please post them at https://github.com/FTBTeam/FTB-App/issues

Twitch

As previously announced, once we have ensured that the New FTB App is stable, we will be closing the FTB Account on Curseforge. With regards to the mods that FTB have created, these will still be available for use in mod packs via the account of Latvianmodder. However FTB mod packs will only be available through the FTB App. Currently released mod packs will still be available on the Twitch launcher for around a month.

1.12 Mod packs.

Whilst modding for 1.15 is improving daily, we still want to spend some time on looking at some of our older packs. So over the next month or so we also intend to go back to some of our 1.12 packs and where appropriate release updates for them. These updates will be exclusively available on the new FTB App. In addition for people who played FTB Sky Odyssey we are hoping to release a Pro mode of this pack for those that want an additional challenge.

FTB Omnia

FTB Omnia is the latest modpack from FTB. Built on Minecraft 1.15, Omnia brings together some of the best mods released on the latest version of Minecraft. Omnia focuses mainly on mods that revolve around tech and exploration, including some of our old favorites such as Refined Storage, Industrial Foregoing and RF Tools as well as adding popular mods like Mekanism and mods new to FTB such as Powah and Mining Gadgets. In addition we have had new mods created to further enhance and refine the pack.

Omnia follows a traditional Kitchen Sink style of gameplay and is suitable for both single player and server play. For single player we are recommending 4 gig ram and for servers we are recommending 4 gig Ram for an 8 player server.

Other news.

Over the next few months we are going to be looking to redesign the FTB Website frontpage to enhance the features available to visitors.

Personal Note.

A massive amount of work has gone into bringing together all of the projects we have going on and I want to take a little time to thank a few people without whom it would not be possible for us to continue. First for Jake, Cloudy, Travis, Rushmead, Gaz and everyone at CreeperHost for helping to put together the new launcher. Even though along the way we had many ‘discussions’ :D I really think in the end we are going to be able to release an excellent new launcher. I also want to give special mention to both Paul and Dray. In addition to the work they themselves have done, they have also allowed FTB to essentially commandeer staff and repurpose them to help out with the launcher. In the 7 plus years that FTB has existed, they continue to prove that the partnership we made with CreeperHost is the one really great decision that we made.

With regards to mod packs, there are many people who continue to help out but there are a couple of people who stand out. Both Sunekaer and Naxanria have continued to work on a daily basis. Lately making sure that FTB Omnia is as polished as it can be and of course LatvianModder who continues to somehow find a way to make every mod I need as well as a bunch of mods that I don’t need.

For maps, there again is a whole bunch of people that have helped out but special mention needs to go to Loneztar who makes sure that stuff gets done even if I do scare her at times. I also want to say thanks to KooDan our principle builder and everyone who has helped out making the maps (Yes even the dinners).

Finally a quick mention for Hubert who continues to make all the artwork for FTB despite the fact that he has a family and job to take up all of his time.

Finally

I also think it is appropriate to mention LexManos, Cpw and everyone else that continues to work on Forge, but also all the other mod and mod pack creators within our community. Without all these people nothing we do would be possible. Since day one, we have always resisted creating a Patreon account at FTB despite numerous requests. For anyone that wants to make a donation for anything we do, please choose one of these mod developers and make that donation to them.
FYI there is no way to make rubber/get rubber to make plastic for industrial forgoing mod. No trees are in the mods, meaning the industrial forgoing machines cannot be crafted due to not being able to get rubber, pls fix

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
FYI there is no way to make rubber/get rubber to make plastic for industrial forgoing mod. No trees are in the mods, meaning the industrial forgoing machines cannot be crafted due to not being able to get rubber, pls fix
That's not how you make plastic in industrial foregoing - JEI is in the pack and you should be able to follow the instructions on how to create plastic using JEI.

adinhos

May 12, 2020
I can't open the FTBApp on my Apple Mac, when I click to open I get a popup that says it can't be opened because Apple cannot search for malware in the app. Below that it says that the software needs to be updated and that I should talk to the developer.

Hoshiko

May 7, 2020
I'm wondering if some modpack update like Revelation will be planned on FTB ? Because Omnia isn't "quite stable" (FTB description quote) and most of mods need a fresh update even on 1.12.
I'm just asking if someone have some news :) Nothing else !

Cwilcox0916

Jul 29, 2019
I know what you mean. Pack updates where said to go out 2 weeks ago as said in the last update from them. But still no word from the team for over a month its a bit frustrating.

Hoshiko

May 7, 2020
Well as i see today they work on the main website :) and it looks cool, discord too !

buncheesy

Jul 29, 2019
Please confirm that all FTB modpacks are to be tranferred to the new launcher. Otherwise I will start loading any modpacks I may remotely want to play into MultiMC.

PS I do really really appreciate the work the FTB team does by the way.

Reactions: jamierocks

Toa56584

May 4, 2020
Please confirm that all FTB modpacks are to be tranferred to the new launcher. Otherwise I will start loading any modpacks I may remotely want to play into MultiMC.

PS I do really really appreciate the work the FTB team does by the way.
this ^

KiwiSoup

May 21, 2020
Hello! Please release an archive of your server package. Cant' say I trust you enough to blindly run this 9MB ELF file.

KiwiSoup

May 21, 2020
Feel free to check out the source code behind the installer. We do not provide archives of the server files, this API is designed around downloading individual files.

I'm not sure compiling a ELF version of a shaded jar is the best way to go about this, probably a python script would have sufficed - and been human readable. But hey, I'm not gonna bother to write said script and it's not going to write itself, and neither did this - which worked perfectly on the first run. So thank you for putting this together.

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
probably a python script would have sufficed - and been human readable.

And then tell windows users that they need to install python to install FTB packs?

Rushmead

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure compiling a ELF version of a shaded jar is the best way to go about this, probably a python script would have sufficed - and been human readable. But hey, I'm not gonna bother to write said script and it's not going to write itself, and neither did this - which worked perfectly on the first run. So thank you for putting this together.

As Jikuja already said, creating a script that would run on every platform without the need to install any extra software or programs is a tricky task, hence our current solution. I know other people in the community have written scripts like the one you have mentioned :)

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Play Offline doesn't seem to be an option yet? I know for most people this isn't a problem, but I often travel and don't always have internet. This has forced me back to the old FTB launcher which has this function. Will this eventually be added to the new launcher? Otherwise thanks for the hard work and other than this small issue for me, everything seems to be working well. I'll just keep migrating my game when needed.

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Is there documentation for how to transfer instances onto the new launcher that were previously hosted on the Twitch app?
I have not transferred an instance from Twitch, but I have transferred an instance from the old FTB launcher to the new one after I watched a couplle youtube vids (I dont recall which ones). the instructions aren't an exact template due to differences in versions of Windows but I made it work after a couple tries. Basically you will be going in to your game files looking for saves then copying and pasting (after you unzip the file) those into a new instance you create on the new launcher.

LuckyLMJ

Jul 30, 2020
This is amazing, because as a mac user, the Twitch launcher doesn't work for 1.13+ modpacks. However, this new launcher does. Thank you so much!