FTB Tutorial Map

BeardlessBrady

Jul 29, 2019
This is a really good idea for New people to ftb. You should work with Slowpoke to actually make a tutorial map ,would be great

runlvlzero

Jul 29, 2019
Hey! I just wanted to say thanks and good luck. I am really looking forward to this.

A quick overview of the multiblock structures for railcraft, IC2, gregtech, and others mods is really important to me. Functional barebones demos of each structure is all that is needed. Nothing elaborate. There does not need to be block for block or step by step instructions, just examples!

As a complete newbie to these modpacks unkown optional multiblock structures are the biggest hurdle I have! With it all in one handy in game place to reference it would help immensly in planning and development of the different tech trees through the mods.

A great example is railcrafts steam boiler which can be used to power just about any MJ using machinery! If I had known about this from the getgo it would make things allot more fun and easy. NEI has no good place for discovering all the hidden goodies in regards so your tutorial would be an exellent alternative. http://railcraft.wikispaces.com/Steam+Boiler+(Device)

I just want to say thanks very much again for tackling this project and sharing it with us!

ividito

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, so I'm reaching completion. Not until Monday at least, massive projects are due Friday and I really don't have time to finish completing the map. However, I have an issue to work on.

I can wait for Thaumcraft 3 and RP2 to release. This will allow me to create a far better experience, as well as revamp several areas regarding storage. It will also cause some delays, based on the scattered rumors about the RP2 features. So, I can release sometime late next week (Hooray for semi-firm ETAs!), or wait, hope for a RP2 release and a pack update, and release near the end of the month give or take. I'm leaning towards waiting, but if nothing happens in the next two weeks, there will be a release without the two mods.

maylith

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft 3 is available in the Magic Pack on the launcher.....unknown when it will be added to the beta pack. If the beta pack updates to MC 1.4.5, many folks will be adding Thaumcraft to the beta pack if the FTB folks don't do it. RP is anyone;s guess....the "feeling" is that it is close.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, so I'm reaching completion. Not until Monday at least, massive projects are due Friday and I really don't have time to finish completing the map. However, I have an issue to work on.

I can wait for Thaumcraft 3 and RP2 to release. This will allow me to create a far better experience, as well as revamp several areas regarding storage. It will also cause some delays, based on the scattered rumors about the RP2 features. So, I can release sometime late next week (Hooray for semi-firm ETAs!), or wait, hope for a RP2 release and a pack update, and release near the end of the month give or take. I'm leaning towards waiting, but if nothing happens in the next two weeks, there will be a release without the two mods.

Actually, TC3's been released, it just won't be in the final FTB. It will be in the "FTB Ultimate" modpack.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
You might consider the alternative option C.

Use what is presently available and release a beta version tutorial so you can start getting feedback and see if there's ways to improve upon it while you wait for the mods to finish updating.

It's what Slowpoke did with FTB, afterall... :D

albioncutter

Jul 29, 2019
i agree with Banz get the map out now and update it as we go... i am realy looking forward to your map so i can learn so much

ividito

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, based on the news update thingy, mods won't be updated until a couple weeks in the future. As such, we're looking at release next weekend.

The release will include multiblock structures, introductions to all forms of portal travel, introduction to worldgen, common methods of gathering resources automatically, power generation systems, and some specific mod-based sections for Factorization, Railcraft, and Thermal Expansion. Gregtech is covered, and it is assumed that expensive recipes are left on. The tutorial will not cover anything, and with mods such as Railcraft, Twilight Forest, Steve's Carts, top-tier items and features are completely ignored. However, the content being taught would be enough to carry a survival playthrough for weeks, plenty of time for advanced tutorials, modpack updated tutorials, etc.

albioncutter

Jul 29, 2019
hehehe ok here it is give us the map all ready i want to play it and learn some things
i been stuck with tekkit for so long i have forgotten so much..... let me put my hands on this and learn it again

ividito

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf20 has tutorials for Thermal Expansion, and is my main resource for many of the mods. since thermal expansion is a great basic mod and should be the first thing you tackle, it should be enough to get you until next weekend. If you cannot possibly wait for release, watch those. Otherwise... too bad.

Oldbombadil

Jul 29, 2019
Just a suggestion or you: Get in touch with a mod or slow and get this included in the launcher! It would get your work a way bigger audience and open up the FTB pack to those with little to no experience, or those who want to learn more!

ividito

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty sure having a release is a prerequisite, once I have that I will most certainly try to get in touch the the appropriate parties.

DaNerd27

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to see this map released,NOW! :p

One would assume putting a map together of this magnitude would require quite a bit of builder input, not to mention the OP has this strange, foreign concept known as "real life" to attend to, taking away from the time he could be putting into the project. Be patient, he'll release eventually.

MandayZ

Jul 29, 2019
One would assume putting a map together of this magnitude would require quite a bit of builder input, not to mention the OP has this strange, foreign concept known as "real life" to attend to, taking away from the time he could be putting into the project. Be patient, he'll release eventually.
I know,duh :confused:

ividito

Jul 29, 2019
Just so that people are in the know, the FTB update might break things entirely. I don't know what or how or anything yet, but if release is delayed significantly, please don't be too surprised.