FTB Should be able to run in Offline Mode!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

GamerX129

May 21, 2020
I don't know why this isn't a feature but I am on a metered internet connection and thus will not turn on my Internet unless I have to.

When I load FTB it won't load unless I have an internet connection. I only play a few mods on FTB so I would like to be able to play them without having to turn on my internet. This is very frustrating. Thanks. I know wrong forum but I couldn't post it in the right forum. Don't have the privileges.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
The FTB app is using the Mojang launcher and doesn't control the features on that one.

GamerX129

May 21, 2020
The FTB app is using the Mojang launcher and doesn't control the features on that one.
I don't suppose there is a work around for that one. Mojang will let me work offline in Java all the time and no problems. I'm only playing sky factory and there is no option for it unless I go trough FTB.

LoGaL

Aug 4, 2013
I think once you launched your minecraft and all the mods are correctly loaded ( even before, perhaps), you can turn off the internet without problems. This feature is there to prevent some "alternative" version of minecraft being used.

GamerX129

May 21, 2020
I think once you launched your minecraft and all the mods are correctly loaded ( even before, perhaps), you can turn off the internet without problems. This feature is there to prevent some "alternative" version of minecraft being used.

'Alternative" minecraft mods? if that's the case FTB could keep a Hash of all the mods that it is using and verify it when in starts FTB APP that the mods have not been changed. It could also then verify Minecraft is also a valid app by checking to see if it was signed by Microsft and/Mojang. It can also check the hash of any java files that might be associated with Minecraft (For the Java addition) and thus mitigate the problem of Alternatives! I'm no programmer but I do know about this stuff from listening to security podcasts!

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
No no no.. 'alternative' versions is a nice way of saying cracked Minecraft.exe... so... no pirated games allowed.

GamerX129

May 21, 2020
No no no.. 'alternative' versions is a nice way of saying cracked Minecraft.exe... so... no pirated games allowed.
Again... If that's the case then hash checking minecraft.exe would solve that problem also. If FTB finds a hash that isn't the original exe than it will not run the programs or mods. That would solve that issue. Also making a warning sign saying that your minecraft.exe is not original and FTB will not run unt they fix the issues.

LoGaL

Aug 4, 2013
then verify Minecraft is also a valid app by checking to see if it was signed by Microsft and/Mojang.
This is exactly what it is doing through the mojang server, that is why you need internet connection. As i said, once you loaded minecraft, you don't need connection anymore. Perhaps even while it is loading the mods you can turn it off. I

GamerX129

May 21, 2020
And if you're worried that they might hack or modify your FTB app then also do a hash check on the FTB app and verify it hasn't been tampered with.

GamerX129

May 21, 2020
This is exactly what it is doing through the mojang server, that is why you need internet connection. As i said, once you loaded minecraft, you don't need connection anymore. Perhaps even while it is loading the mods you can turn it off. I
Well I don't understand why you can't save the hash figures offline onto the computer and use them to verify that minecraft.exe isn't hacked or changed? It's like a 1 byte of information.

Last edited:

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Well I don't understand why you can't save the hash figures offline onto the computer and use them to verify that minecraft.exe isn't hacked or changed? It's like a 1 byte of information.

If that was a thing then that hash could be changed, so if the client was hacked - the offline hash could match the hacked client. So it's not so strange that isn't a thing.

The validation needs to be done against a source that's not controlled by the client side.

GamerX129

May 21, 2020
Again, It doesn't need to be done because if someone wants to play a mod pack they will figure out a way. Nothing you do will ever changed that. I have seen kids playing minecraft on school computers. It isn't going to stop people from doing just that. I have did a quick check and saw this post:

if you are trying to keep it safe, I see no reason why someone else will figure out a way to make it work in another way. I've seen this time and time again. If you tell a kid it can't be done they will figure out a way. If someone wants to do it then it will happen, you won't stop them from doing it. I guess I'll figure out a way to play this in offline mode without FTB. I'm sure I can' figure this out just like others. It would be nice to make it a thing with being in offline mode but who am I to suggest a feature or product being more userfriendly.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
You're barking up the wrong tree, contact Mojang - it's their launcher - the FTB app just uses the Mojang launcher in the process.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Also, it is not "just using Mojang's launcher in the process" for the fun of it. Mojang WANTS every launcher to make use of theirs. I am not aware of a time they took action against a launcher not doing this, but I also didn't look for it and I agree with FTB not wanting to take that risk.

Also, you have to get online at least once to download the mods anyway. Is it really that bad to require you to login at this time and from that point on you are free to do whatever?

brokennex

May 27, 2020
Once you've run the pack at least once, you can always copy over your instance into a version-matched new instance from another launcher. You can find out which Forge version you need by looking toward the bottom of the instance's version.json file for the targets{...} block, but other mod loaders can be a bit more tricky. Best place I can find to look for those versions is in the instance's logs/latest.log file; it'll usually list versions somewhere toward the top (for instance, my ATM Fabric log lists [email protected]+build.175 among the list of mods it's loading).

Hope this helps; I get the whole DRM nonsense but once you've gotten the pack normally you've proven that you have a legit install so further checks don't make much sense.

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
I have issue with this also. I travel a lot, and one of my homes is remote with sketchy internet at best. When the net goes down, I better have FTB app launched or I'm playing vanilla in the evening. If this is a Mojang problem, why can I play vanilla offline? The old FTB launcher also worked offline.

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
I was reminded of this again last night when I lost power and decided to play minecraft. I can play games in vanilla, the old FTB launcher, and I can also load games from the twitch launcher, all while offline, and all of which use Mojang. If the new FTB app is already open, I can play offline. It's not minecraft or mojang that is the problem. The app will not load if you are offline.

shoilo

Jul 26, 2020
I was reminded of this again last night when I lost power and decided to play minecraft. I can play games in vanilla, the old FTB launcher, and I can also load games from the twitch launcher, all while offline, and all of which use Mojang. If the new FTB app is already open, I can play offline. It's not minecraft or mojang that is the problem. The app will not load if you are offline.
iirc u can find the minecraft file that ftb downloads itself (thru task manager) and launch from that launcher when offline to see ur modpacks

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
iirc u can find the minecraft file that ftb downloads itself (thru task manager) and launch from that launcher when offline to see ur modpacks
Are you talking about the old launcher or the new app? The old launcher works offline. It's the new app that doesn't load while offline. If the app is open, you can load and play offline. I would be leery of corrupting my game by manually loading an instance without the new app.