FTB Should be able to run in Offline Mode!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Wait so the ftb launcher uses the mojang launcher?
Wouldnt it be best to have the launcher launch the modpack using custom arguments?

Regards
loster31345ORlobster

Mojang specifically requested every custom launcher to use theirs to do the authentication and launching. I'm not sure if they actually took action against launchers that do not comply but even if they don't it probably is a good idea to honor that request.

As for why Mojang wants this: Probably to make sure user accounts are somewhat save as users don't have to rely on random third parties dealing correctly with remembering their user details as this is now done using Mojang's launcher.

Jul 23, 2020
Norway
Mojang specifically requested every custom launcher to use theirs to do the authentication and launching. I'm not sure if they actually took action against launchers that do not comply but even if they don't it probably is a good idea to honor that request.

As for why Mojang wants this: Probably to make sure user accounts are somewhat save as users don't have to rely on random third parties dealing correctly with remembering their user details as this is now done using Mojang's launcher.
But using the mojang launcher, would that make it theirs launcher instead of yours? Because basicly the authenticate and launch process is more than 60% of the launcher. What you have without those pieces is jsut a frame that downloads zip files and extract them

Regards
loster31345ORlobster

Dex Luther

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know why this isn't a feature but I am on a metered internet connection and thus will not turn on my Internet unless I have to.

When I load FTB it won't load unless I have an internet connection. I only play a few mods on FTB so I would like to be able to play them without having to turn on my internet. This is very frustrating. Thanks. I know wrong forum but I couldn't post it in the right forum. Don't have the privileges.

Unless you're downloading mods/modpacks/starting minecraft a million times a month, then it shouldn't really matter that you're on a metered connection. I could be wrong, but the check that the client makes with Mojang to verify that it's legit is probably bytes or a few kilobytes in data. Your posts in this thread probably used more date.

Wait so the ftb launcher uses the mojang launcher?
Wouldnt it be best to have the launcher launch the modpack using custom arguments?

Regards
loster31345ORlobster

Doesn't the FTB launcher pass the command line arguments and other settings to the Mojang launcher?

From what I understand the FTB (or Twitch) launcher doesn't just start Minecraft directly anymore because Mojang don't want. They want their own launcher to be used for whatever reason. Rather than make enemies of Mojang, they followed the request.

I was reminded of this again last night when I lost power and decided to play minecraft. I can play games in vanilla, the old FTB launcher, and I can also load games from the twitch launcher, all while offline, and all of which use Mojang. If the new FTB app is already open, I can play offline. It's not minecraft or mojang that is the problem. The app will not load if you are offline.
Because your account was verified when you were online. The old FTB/Mojang launchers don't check/care if you're online or not. It could also be that your token that was validated while you were online and the launcher open hasn't expired yet. Once it expires, I would expect you to be unable to play until you go back online and reauthenticate.

Then again I don't see the big deal in a few people playing less than legit copies of the game while offline. I'm sure there are enough versions/copies that are completely unused or not used anymore floating around to more than make up for it.