FTB Server Won't Start. JAVA exceptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stealthbird97

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

I keep getting an error after trying to run the FTB server on my DEBIAN 7 64bit Linux server.

Refer to Pastebin for Errors

http://pastebin.com/0vZjhGPc

Please help me, I have no clue why I'm getting these errors. Support team doesn't seem to know either.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
No, 'support team' (ie. me) is not good with helping linux users, any help I give you without secondary input is me just guessing. I'm trying to learn, thus why I asked you to post here.

Stealthbird97

Jul 29, 2019
No, 'support team' (ie. me) is not good with helping linux users, any help I give you without secondary input is me just guessing. I'm trying to learn, thus why I asked you to post here.

If that's the way you want to put it. But I would still class "not good with helping Linux users" as not being able to come up with a solution to my problem... which is a java exception, not necessarily linked to the fact I'm using a Linux OS.

artdude543

Jul 29, 2019
This is a simple error of the forming of that the minecraft server does not have enough permissions to load it self. So when CCC tries to load it can't because the mod does have enough permissions to read/write from its own config files. It's really easy to see from the crash-report :) So my advice is to check the permissions on the user you are using and the ch-mod is correct (I.E:777) then It should solve your problem here :)

I would also suggest that some more support is added for Linux users as it's become more popular with FTB servers as they perform better on the OS. I could right some post for FAQ's for troubleshooting if people want something like that :)

Reactions: Stealthbird97

Stealthbird97

Jul 29, 2019
Although, I will say if the support staff here actually knew java and the forge mod better. Honestly you should know it. You would have been able to read the java exceptions (JAVA) to pick up the fact that the java instance couldn't write to the correct files, which would have suggested a permissions issue.

I'd really recommend you create a bespoke linux guide for installing the FTB server as it is not the same as a simple minecraft server. Had I followed your knowledge base, I would have still had problems as the minecraft wikis guide doesn't even mention chmod-ing the files.

Thank you anyway.

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Although, I will say if the support staff here actually knew java and the forge mod better. Honestly you should know it. You would have been able to read the java exceptions (JAVA) to pick up the fact that the java instance couldn't write to the correct files, which would have suggested a permissions issue.

I'd really recommend you create a bespoke linux guide for installing the FTB server as it is not the same as a simple minecraft server. Had I followed your knowledge base, I would have still had problems as the minecraft wikis guide doesn't even mention chmod-ing the files.

Thank you anyway.
You're free to apply to be part of the "support staff"

Honestly, some people just don't realize that the support aren't almighty, all-knowing human beings here NOR ANYWHERE. They're normal people. If you think they should know something better, go ahead, join them. If you don't know the thing yourself either, then shut up and accept the fact that they're trying to help you voluntarily without getting anything out of it except a shitty feeling because someone like you can't appreciate it.

Peace.

Nessiroj

Jul 29, 2019

Thank you anyway.

The thing is, yes we (me and Ash) don't know much about nix based systems, simply like the majority of the internet is using it not enough. We like most users use windows. Although i have a Debian web and database server running at home. This still doesn't mean i know all commands and debug tools of unix.

General speaking users who run unis systems know how to google and or how to help themselfs if they encounter problems. Otherwise they didn't have unix installed in the first please.

For all the tickets (1000+) in the supportdesk i did i have seen a total of 2 or 3 unix based questions. All the others are Windows or Mac based.

And as Moasseman pointed out we are doing this all for free, asking nothing for it nor getting anything for it. We all have jobs and our own personal lives. But besides that we choose to help people who are having problems instead of playing games (minecraft) ourselfs.

Stealthbird97

Jul 29, 2019
Ok.... Put it like this.
Really, I don't care whether you know about linux systems or not. It's besides the point.

You should know how to read java if you're acting as support for something that is java based. I certainly hope that some of you guys actually put FTB together and are not some completely proprietary help consisting of anyone and everyone in the community who think they know how FTB works simply because they have used it for ages and thus, simply has the knowledge of errors they have only had themselves. If you are that, I suggest that you learn Java so you can actually help people.
On the Other Hand, If some of you are developers of FTB then I really think you should know more and should have seen the problem I had.
Waiting a whole day (although it doesn't seem much to you) for being told what is effectively "I don't know, ask on the forums" when I could have just asked some I personally know who has written their own Minecraft server management client (they aren't even a professional programmer) and get an answer within 10 minutes of sending the error.

It didn't even seem if ash even asked anyone else within the support team. I'm sure you can pass tickets around in your support system. I would have been more satisfied and this [rant] certainly wouldn't have happened if I got a bit more interaction. It would have made it seem like you actually tried to help me. Also, the backchat from ash in the first reply was unnecessary. What was implied was not what was interpreted, which has resulted in what was interpreted to be exactly what is now implied.

Don't hide behind the whole idea that "You aren't being paid to do this job and that you're not getting anything from it", because if that's the case, don't bother unless you can actually do the job, not just use some knowledge you've accumulated over time. I know people shouldn't expect much from anything listed as "free". It doesn't look good on you if you are unable to understand the fundamentals of the language the product you are providing.

I'm going to end my rant here but I suggest you take on the points which I have stated. It would make your support much better and you will be able to avoid another encounter like this.

Good Day

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Let me put it to you a different way:
If I don't understand how to properly troubleshoot with your OS, then i can't rule out that it isn't a problem with your set up.
Every single Ubuntu/Linux user I have attempted to help has had a different version of Java, used a different directory, etc.
Right now, the "support team" is 95% me. Would you have preferred I send you to someone who might not even log in until next month?

We do it for free. We're volunteers. We have jobs, we go to school, we have families just like you. We aren't manning the desk 24/7. We don't have to help anyone at all. I cannot provide support for Linux users. I am the person who responds 95% of the time. I am not going to provide support to someone when I can't even rule out basic set up issues.

I spent several days looking at tickets that I didn't know how to answer. Over the course of that several days, I Googled the issues, checked the forums, and also noted that no one else had been on the desk answering tickets.

Edit: Also, the support we can offer for installing servers is in this article. It redirects to the Minecraft Wiki. We have vanilla-styled servers, therefore all installation is exactly the same as a vanilla server. The only difference I've found is when you're adding RAM, and you need to use [Modpack]_Server.jar instead of Minecraft_Server.jar.
Edit, but not regarding your problem: The most "developer" we get presently is one person who is part of the modpack team. As far as I know, none of us are developers.

I would also suggest that some more support is added for Linux users as it's become more popular with FTB servers as they perform better on the OS. I could right some post for FAQ's for troubleshooting if people want something like that :)
I have openly asked for people's input for what could be added to the Knowledgebase in the past. It is ALWAYS welcome, because we don't know everything. We can't provide support for things when we don't know how.

Reactions: Nessiroj
Status
Not open for further replies.