Problem FTB Server keeps freezing.

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

TheBoy3

Jul 29, 2019
I made an FTB Server and I was able to run it for a while without any freezing errors, but lately the server has just stopped sending info to the client, freezes, and I end up disconnecting because of lag. When I check the console, no errors or "Can't keep up" messages are logged, but I can't send any commands (because it is frozen of course). I keep having to terminate the server and start it up again. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

melar09

Jul 29, 2019
Java could be crashing on the server, no errors or messages in the console sounds like a problem with Java / or maybe even running out of memory which is a java problem. We need more info to help you out; Are you Running Java 6 or 7? have you tried updating Java? Whats your java runtime commands? Which Mod pack are you running. Did you recently update or change anything on the server? Can you run a Java Profiler to see what java is up to?

cjm721

Jul 29, 2019
If java crashed the server would turn off not just freeze. Freezes are usally from infinite loops in code which there are quite a few in the current versions used in FTB packs (most are fixed in updates already)

TheBoy3

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, I haven't replied in a while.

Are you Running Java 6 or 7? have you tried updating Java? Whats your java runtime commands? Which Mod pack are you running. Did you recently update or change anything on the server? Can you run a Java Profiler to see what java is up to?

1. I'm not sure, but I may be running java 7 (which could be the problem)
2. I have tried updating java, and it says that I have the latest jre, but the jdk is Java 6, because I have run into many Java 6-Java 7 problems in the past relating to minecraft and ftb.
3. I'm not sure I know what you mean?
4. FTB Ultimate
5. Yes, I did have some problems with the MinecraftForge state engine corrupt or something like that, so I restored a time machine backup of my world.
6. (I can't install the java profiler because my eclipse is kinda funky when it comes to installing plug-ins)

Also, I left out some critical information by accident! The server freezes up when I'm on the server and I go near Factorization Ore Processing machines. These machines are the Mixer, the Crystallizer, the Slag Furnace and the Grinder.

melar09

Jul 29, 2019
Can you go in and remove those machines and see if it still freezes, it sounds like you may have an issue with the factorization mod if it only happens then. Are you pure ftb or you running a Bukkit or MCPC+ ? if so could be causing a loop somehow. Just like cjm said there could be a infinite loop thats just eating up memory. I would have to say update factorization then and see if it persists.

TheBoy3

Jul 29, 2019
I'll try removing them, and I'm also using BukkitForge (I was told that MCPC+ is better, so I may be trying it and see if it works). Thanks!

cjm721

Jul 29, 2019
If it happens when you get near a spot then you know it has to do with that spot so as for what melar asked originally would be needed if it was all the time and you had no real clue, but since you know its when you get near that one area look into that first before dive headlong into alot more complex stuff.

Side note:
You should/need to be running java 7 (don't update to 8 yet as there are still some large bugs) which is a huge performance boost from java 6. As for runtime commands he is talking about start script what is between java and -jar ftbserver.jar. Also you dont need to add it to eclipse to do any profiling (are you running your server inside your dev environment?) if you have any jdk go to where it is installed and inside the bin folder is a program called visualvm, that is a profiler.