FTB server Co-operative informational effort!

STYXTRIBE

Jul 29, 2019
The title says most of it. But here goes. I am doing my first MC server. I am part of a gaming portal that has a Vanilla MC server. I will be hosting a FTB server for the gaming portal. I would like to start a collaborative effort to share admin information and knowledge for server admins. for the newest version of FTB 1.4.2 for questions like====

1. What do you use for griefing?
2. Why do you ban players?
3. What settings do you use on the server?
4. When do you give ops permissions?
5. What is your solution for creeper damage?
5. What do you do for prices in the economy?

Etc etc etc. Everything and anything server related. What mod ad on do you use for admin stuff etc.

You get the idea. Together we can help each other make our servers smoother and better run. I am taking my time starting the server. I have a test server going now. Which I can experiment around with and see how things work. This being my first server I have a lot of questions and maybe just a few answers I have already come up with myself.

Knowledge is power folks and the more the better!

Feel free to contribute to this thread. Or PM me for a personal chat about FTB and MC in general.

TY! STYX

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
Keep in mind this section is under my iron fist :p I like to keep this a very clean section, only with fixes, guides, tips and tricks. Any questions will get moved to "server tech support" since this is a section for admins that want to teach others or share there kwolledge. So do add info in your main post since i do not like any "dead posts" in this section that have no use for and OP.

Hope you put some intresting items in here :)

Bnagers

Jul 29, 2019
Right now, with no plugins or the like...

1. What do you use for griefing?
My own smarts, with a little bit of cunning. Also a white-list and recommending people live far from spawn and share coordinates only with people they trust.

2. Why do you ban players?
Haven't needed to yet, but on past servers it's been when someone doesn't listen, ie they're a repeat offender, even it's a repeated minor offence. I also ban people who have no genuine interest in playing the game such as people who join just to grief or join and say they're from PMC to do a review.

3. What settings do you use on the server?
Right now it's all on the default settings.

4. When do you give ops permissions?
Probably never. I did have a couple of good mods on my old tekkit server though and may consider opping them but I'm not sure it's necessary yet, the white-list is keeping everything safe and most players are building far enough apart from each other so as not to interfere.

Tough luck princess. Have fun rebuilding. If you want an actual solution though for your own server, vanilla 1.4.2 has /gamerule mobgriefing off

5 6. What do you do for prices in the economy?
Nothing yet. It's a new server and we're still in the bartering stage.

Reactions: Chakyl and Johnley

Johnley

Jul 29, 2019
Tough luck princess. Have fun rebuilding. If you want an actual solution though for your own server, vanilla 1.4.2 has /gamerule mobgriefing off
Make sure you capitalize Griefing:
Code:
/gamerule mobGriefing false

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Heh I find it slightly amusing people want creeper damage off, it's part of the game and there are plenty of ways to keep creepers away.

Reactions: Chakyl

TheMap

Jul 29, 2019
Heh I find it slightly amusing people want creeper damage off, it's part of the game and there are plenty of ways to keep creepers away.
People want creeper damage off because some servers have a spawn to protect. And some players are not so nice as to kill them, rather drag them inside of spawn with intent to destroy it.

Bnagers

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah... kiting creepers to an enemies/strangers house and letting them explode can be a problem too.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Like I said plenty of ways around it, spawn in the air, under the sea, plenty of lighting, problem solved. As for griefing well the only way to stop that is the ban stick whilst we get some anti-griefing tools.

TheMap

Jul 29, 2019
Like I said plenty of ways around it, spawn in the air, under the sea, plenty of lighting, problem solved. As for griefing well the only way to stop that is the ban stick whilst we get some anti-griefing tools.

Anti-griefing tools? The spawn ideas only affect the spawn itself. Its obvious you never played factions. As this doesn't fix anything. I run an open pvp server that promotes raiding, and the only way to protect your base is with regions or MFFS. Sadly creeper explosions bypass this protection which is an exploit to the server rules. That is why creeper protection is off as well.

Without bukkit anti-griefing tools are minimal at best. I cant log blocks to find out who broke what rule and I cannot monitor the server in my sleep. This thread is about what you use to prevent griefing? Why do you ban players ect.

Not about your opinion if people turn off creeper damage.