FTB Runs Slow When It Should Not

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Your GPU is fine. Your problems lie elsewhere. Priority for minecraft is CPU > RAM > HDD/GPU/Everything else. Based on that, your system should run minecraft great.

Something else is causing your issue. it shouldn't be hardware related since you are seeing good performance "sometimes"

edit: this gpu will run minecraft. it'll play bf3 for god's sake.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Desktop. I want to go buy a GTX now haha

Your GFX card more than meets the threshold for very good minecraft performance. Replacing it would be a waste of time.

The last, plausible, hardware issue I can think of is overheating: have you checked your CPU and GPU fans for dust?

Otherwise I think it is a configuration issue with your operating system: reinstall. Windows 7 or Windows 8 because even if "10%" improved performance was real, and it isn't because its a completely bogus micro metric focusing on some cherry picked OS feature and not general application performance, its not big enough to make an actual perceptible difference.

I have a x64 Windows XP running on my gaming rig for crying out loud. It runs the latest OpenGL drivers, and despite continued claims of "improved performance" from each subsequent generation of operating systems, boots like its running off a SSD. Which it isn't.

Reactions: pc_assassin

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I recommend this as well. There's a bunch of other parameters that might be useful too. Check out this post by Eyamaz for a start:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/jvm-arguments-for-modded-minecraft-updated-12-30-13.28994/

No. None of those parameters are useful. There are only two parameters that really effect minecrafts performance in any way and they are:

-XX:MaxPermSize=128m

Java starts its VM with a small, but usually adequate, "permgen" allocation. This is a space that java classes are loaded into. If you run out, Java can't load more classes. With a lot of mods (such as in monster) the default allocation of 64m (iirc) is insufficient. So this MUST be increased on the cmdline to allow all the mods to load successfully. Outside of allowing minecraft to start it has no performance impact, unless you set it larger than it needs to be.

-Xmx2G

This specifies how much memory Java will allocate to the application in the VM for general use. Set it too low and the application will run out of memory and crash. Set it too high and garbage collection will happen infrequently and take too long - and depending on Operating System virtual memory availability - "steal" process address space from other tasks such as OpenGL.

Outside of these two parameters, there are NO java flags that are going to increase the performance of java applications, minecraft included.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Why all the hate on Windows 8? :(

I have now migrated all my machines to 8.1, and I'm in love with its performance over Windows 7. Slap an SSD in there, and you're in for a treat!

Can't handle the new Metro Start thingy? Just install a 3rd party start menu - Classic Shell (free) or StartIsBack (something silly like €2 for a 2-machine license).

Dezz

Jul 13, 2013
I'll have to check the temp on my cpu. It probably isn't ober-heating, but I'll make sure.
Your GFX card more than meets the threshold for very good minecraft performance. Replacing it would be a waste of time.

The last, plausible, hardware issue I can think of is overheating: have you checked your CPU and GPU fans for dust?

Otherwise I think it is a configuration issue with your operating system: reinstall. Windows 7 or Windows 8 because even if "10%" improved performance was real, and it isn't because its a completely bogus micro metric focusing on some cherry picked OS feature and not general application performance, its not big enough to make an actual perceptible difference.

I have a x64 Windows XP running on my gaming rig for crying out loud. It runs the latest OpenGL drivers, and despite continued claims of "improved performance" from each subsequent generation of operating systems, boots like its running off a SSD. Which it isn't.
I play a lot more games than FTB. One of the most intensive being Planetside 2. Running that on Ultra (Which my god it looks so good on ultra) has always been a dream of mine. The thing is Planetside 2 is very inefficient with whatever you give it.

I used to play a lot of Skyrim as well, but that was a few years back when it first came out.

Also bought Battlefield 4, so there is that.

Dust may very well be the problem btw

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
The hell man, a desktop processor and mobile graphics card.

Just to confirm, your getting the high FPS and low FPS on the same pack? Also, that's not really a very nice card, its dedicated buts its also quite low in terms of performance. If you haven't already, try disabling the graphics chip integrated into the processor. Also check temps, make sure nothing is overheating and throttling back.
you are wrong ,it is desktop gpu.he has radeon 8570 not radeon 8570M.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
Try Java 8
Some people have said that Java 8 gives them before performance overall.

I haven't tested this myself due to the fact I haven't had time yet. Once the FTB test server is up I will be running 1.7 pack with Java 8 to test it.

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
I had simiar problem with my laptop and it turned out to be software issues. Try going directly to manufacturs websides and dowload drivers for your gpu,cpu,hardrive etc. For some reson windows autoupdate messed my drivers when I done that I went from 10 fps on tppi to 80-90 fps.

VileGit

Jul 29, 2019
Try lowering your smooth lighting settings, this did it for me. I read somewhere some AMD users are affected by it. I have an nvidia GPU and AMD CPU.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk