Bug FTB Retro 1.2.5 insane lag

L

Link0

So... Some time ago I decided to play FTB insanity map (was inspired by Dorewolf20, of course). At first everything was normal, 20-30 fps, but 3.5 hours later I noticed some lag spikes, that become more and more frequent. So, after five hours of gaming lag was so huge that I have somewhere between 0-1 fps and 1-0.5 tps (tps was calculated by hand). At f3 menu 95% of my runtime was used by "tick" event, so there no space for render. I thought that my machine was too slow to handle that (MacMini 2011 i7 config).

Than I've switched to my PC. First 8 hours of gaming was very smooth. And again "tick" event took over my machine on 10-th hour of session. I've tried to restart it couple times... Nothing. I was very surprised considering that I have only dark room and couple IC2 machines.

So attempt number three. I've installed FTB retro SMP server on MacMini and client to my PC (I thought that there was many tile-entities and so server only care about entities and PC about render). I've dedicated 3Gb of RAM to server (And yes. I knew that FTB retro doesn't take that much RAM). And again after second hour of gaming enormous lag spikes! Server told me that it was skipping so many ticks.

Well... I left it to run over night (maybe it was cashing something, or there ware some crazy actions at pyramid). NOPE! What is more interesting it took only about 20% of CPU usage (and as so run very cool). I know that problem is not within server being not powerful enough. It can easily run heavy 1.10 modpacks at stable 20 tps (but 1.6.4-1.10 modpacks use a LOT of RAM).

To sum up. At some point there is massive lag that come from nowhere (And I couldn't track where it comes (No OPIS for 1.2.5)). And unfortunately I cannot find a way to solve this problem :(

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I would check or break the pipe you may be using to automate things. Usually that is where most lag comes from. But, on a pack this old it is going to be hard to find support for it.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
This is highly likely to be a flaw in your dark room design. Back in 1.2.5 items dropped did not merge into stacks so every item on the floor is an extra entity that your server and client has to deal with. Make sure that everything in your darkroom is being picked up promptly.

L

Link0

This is highly likely to be a flaw in your dark room design. Back in 1.2.5 items dropped did not merge into stacks so every item on the floor is an extra entity that your server and client has to deal with. Make sure that everything in your darkroom is being picked up promptly.

Yeah... I know about that, but in that case turning off timer would solve all problems in 5 minutes (or more accurately 1000 ticks, because of tps rate). I think that there is something wrong with RP tubes, because with BC pipes everything worked pretty fine. But again if problem is that there was over 9000 item entities, RP tubes should be better, because I think that RP tubes don't transport items itself, just a visual representation of it. But again, RP tubes (for some unknown reason) made it worse.

Anyway! I should do a some kind of research to determine what is causing that lag... Later... Somewhere in the future...

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
I can assure you that I've played this map often enough and built enough dark rooms to know that RP tubes work fine, yes they do make it smoother overall. It's extremely easy to make a mistake while messing around with dark rooms and your symptoms sound like entity overload and not a bug with tubes.

L

Link0

Ahhh... Yep... A single backlogged transposer... The problem was so simple... Now I feel miserable :(... Even when I was writing this thread, the problem became obvious for me... I'm sorry for bothering you all (especially The All Mighty Quetzi™)... There was no need to dive that deep in game mechanics.

P.S. At this time The Dark Room Of Wandering Items™ has been successfully closed (With help of /remove drops command)