FTB performance fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreshlyBaked

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, this is just something I wanted to throw out there in the forums and see what the reaction was.

As many people will know, going from vanilla Minecraft to Tekkit/FTB brings about a drop in performance. Some people seem to have no issues, while others (many with high-end PCs) are faced with something that is pretty much unplayable.

With Tekkit, I originally thought: "Fair enough. You're adding a load of mods so the performance is bound to go down. Maybe you really do need a monster computer to run it."

I was going to uninstall, but then I came across a quick fix. For anyone that doesn't know, see this link:

Basically, the fix involves "merging" Tekkit into the original vanilla folders, so that the Tekkit launcher is by-passed. It does mean that you cannot access vanilla any more, but it worked like a dream. Looking back on it, it seems crazy that I was ready to dismiss the capabilities of my PC, when it pretty much ticks all the boxes on paper. However, what is even crazier, is all this faffing about with launchers that create so many problems. Is it really just to allow people to go back to a game that they've already decided they're bored of? My questions are:
  • Can something similar be done with FTB?
  • Why don't more people know about this fix?
I realise the majority of people here are going to be more clued-up, when it comes to computers, than I am. Therefore, these might be stupid questions and the same fix may not be possible for FTB. However, if it is, it'd be great if someone could detail how to go through the same process with FTB.

Karimiri

Jul 29, 2019
umm... tekkit ? HERESY !

what do you mean "merge with vanilla files" ? performance will improve when i put FTB-pack files into .minecraft instead .minecraft/packname ?
and how this will dont affect vanilla instalation since many of those files are the same by name...

edit: somehow i didnt get much out of this vid, plz paste step by step howto :(
edit2: does this work for 1.4 FTB ?

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
I believe what this is doing is tricking the graphics card into thinking you're running normal Minecraft, which it will run with by default. This works because graphics cards usually won't run with mod launchers by default. You change change this in your graphics card settings, which most cards have.
I have a Nvidia graphics card, it's fairly simple to get to the settings for me. Just go to Control Panel (Windows, in case you didn't realise) and open Nvidia Control Panel. From there you can specify programs that should use the graphics card and which shouldn't. I can also right-click on programs and click Run With Graphics Processor > High-performance NVIDIA processor.

This is an alternative that should work just as well as what you've described, unless something else happens when using the vanilla .minecraft folder, which I highly doubt.

Another solution that works is to rename your launcher from "FTB launcher.exe" or "Technic Launcher.exe", whatever you happened to be using, to "Minecraft.exe". This is another way of tricking your graphics card into thinking it's running Vanilla.

Also, "maybe you really do need a monster computer to run lots of mods". This is a myth, the amount of mods you use doesn't matter at all, or only marginally. What really matters is what these mods change/add.

FreshlyBaked

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the replies. Like I said, I'm not all that clued up when it comes to stuff life this....I usually just follow some step-by-step instructions and cross my fingers.

Tadpole may well be right. Although it seems like a rather lengthy method for just altering your graphics card settings. Who knows! :S

Meroge

Jul 29, 2019
Where in the Nvidia Control Panel do I change which programs use the graphics card ?

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, here are some instructions.
1. Open the NVIDIA Control Panel
2. Select "Manage 3D Settings" on the sidebar
3. Change to the "Program Settings" tab
4. Under "Select a program to customize", select the launcher from the dropdown list. If it isn't there, use the "Add" button to add it.
5. Under "Select the preferred graphics processor for this program" select "High-performance NVIDIA processor".

As there's no "Save" button that I can find, I assume it saves the settings automatically.

To test whether this worked, follow these.
1. In the NVIDIA Control Panel, click on "Desktop" on the top bar.
2. Check "Display GPU activity icon in Notification area".
3. Start Minecraft through the launcher you've just changed the settings for. If the icon has lit up, it means Minecraft is using the graphics card.

Leaorem

Jul 29, 2019
I am also taking a major hit to performance (30-40FPS down to 4-5FPS upon the last update)
It has made FTB unplayable and if a solution or aide is found it would be a life saver to me.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
I am also taking a major hit to performance (30-40FPS down to 4-5FPS upon the last update)
It has made FTB unplayable and if a solution or aide is found it would be a life saver to me.
Look one above your post.

Leaorem

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, my apologies x3, I do not run an Nvidia card, I run an Intel Integrated, so that info is useless to me.
Thank you though I had read that and tried to find something similar in my Gfx control panel.

Im thinking it might be to worlds leaking but I honestly dont know how to tell, so for now Im going to try to fix that

Status
Not open for further replies.