FTB Pack Comparison

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Mh... This is not good! I love to play along with Dire but he's not using Greg Tech and Thermal Expansion! That's a pretty hard dilemma!
I agree and mindcrack doesn't have mystcraft, portal and I think some other mods from the main list.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry - I missed Thermal Expansion in DW20's pack, don't worry, it's in there! I'll fix it later; it's pretty late where I am.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Thanks for the comparison. Hmm. Direwolfs pack seems the closest to my 1.4.2 setup. A few mods in there that I need to research what they are. Initial glance shows no Rei_Minimap in the DW pack?

Now I just got to finish the 1.2.5 retro challange map (Normal mode) before diving into the update. The fun never ends!

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
I think I have fixed everything up now in the table. Tell me if there is still anything wrong.
Thanks for the comparison. Hmm. Direwolfs pack seems the closest to my 1.4.2 setup. A few mods in there that I need to research what they are. Initial glance shows no Rei_Minimap in the DW pack?
Direwolf has never used Rei's Minimap, and he probably does not intend to, so it won't be in his pack. But it's really easy for you to add in. It's only client side.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Must admit, having watched tons of Direwolf stuff, never noticed the absence of the mini-map :D
Not a problem, just thought my aging brain was missing something.

Saw in another topic that the mini-map may be causing FPS issues, which I do currently get under 1.4.2, plus I am now unsure about having a mini-map. Removes the sense of discovery and getting lost. No longer need to build landmarks to find your way, etc. Hmm, pros and cons.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe I'm weird, but I like the mechanics of the vanilla maps. They're missing some important features, but those will be added eventually, I'm sure. Icons on the vanilla maps exist, they're just not implemented. I'd rather have a mod that provides a way to place those icons than the minimap.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, if you put a map in an item frame, it will appear as a green arrow on any other one of the same map.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
That is awesome. I did not know that. Sounds really handy for locating multiple bases with the largest map size.

madaffacca

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone tried to put Mystcraft in the Mindcrack pack? I tried just moving the mystcraft .zip folder from DirePack to MindCrack one and everything seems to work fine. Do I have to expect some issues?

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, expect it to crash when you go to an age. You have to update the Forge it is using because mystcraft doesn't work with the one currently in the pack. Even with the updated Forge though you can't log out in an age because it will freeze then also. Don't know how to fix that atm.

madaffacca

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, expect it to crash when you go to an age. You have to update the Forge it is using because mystcraft doesn't work with the one currently in the pack. Even with the updated Forge though you can't log out in an age because it will freeze then also. Don't know how to fix that atm.
Thanks! Disabled for now, waiting for future updates for slamming it into the pack ;)

thezeronumber

Jul 29, 2019
Mindcrack seems to be the closest to Beta A so I will be sticking with that. I will miss Portal but RedPower and ExtraBees make up for that.

Morvelaira

Jul 29, 2019
/slap thread with slimeball as indication of support. Yes, that's how you make a sticky thread.

Also, some more details. The Magic World pack is staying. The Beta A pack is not. The Lite pack is intended for lower end servers - basically looking to give as much bang as possible for as little lag possible. GregTech in the MindCrack pack is set to all hardmodes on - the Mind crack guys wanted a big challenge. GregTech should also be included in the Ultimate pack, though either on easy mode or disabled by default.

thezeronumber

Jul 29, 2019
How would someone re-create the Beta A GregTech experience with the MindCrack pack? Would we manually have to compare configs or is there a list somewhere that notes the changes and alterations?

Morvelaira

Jul 29, 2019
You'd have to change the configs for GregTech manually to what you felt was right. There were /massive/ changes to the configuration file in GregTech between 1.4.2 and 1.4.6, so its not the easiest to make a direct comparison.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
GregTech in the MindCrack pack is set to all hardmodes on - the Mind crack guys wanted a big challenge.
Are they aware that there are ~matching alternative recipes for Thermal Expansion machines as well? The configs for that seem to have been overlooked.

Morvelaira

Jul 29, 2019
I am not sure what they are aware of - I have not had direct contact with them myself. I just know they specifically requested GregTech turned up to 11 :)