FTB News 25/01/2015

Lgweaver

Jul 29, 2019
It was not my intent to demand anything. It was my intent to voice my frustration, and my point of views. I used the few capitals I did because I was trying to emphasize my detest for quests in minecraft. I was not attempting to shout my voice louder than any one else, though in hindsight I can see where it may seem that way. It is just frustratingly disturbing for me when genres mix.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
It was not my intent to demand anything. It was my intent to voice my frustration, and my point of views. I used the few capitals I did because I was trying to emphasize my detest for quests in minecraft. I was not attempting to shout my voice louder than any one else, though in hindsight I can see where it may seem that way. It is just frustratingly disturbing for me when genres mix.
I am opposed to HQM being in EVERY pack. But packs that have a custom map, or theme, where the progression line has been altered... yeah, HQM is needed. But in a kitchen sink pack, or one where all but a few recipes are the same/same progression line-different recipes, NO. JUST NO. For example, I am working on a new pack at the minute. Does it have HQM? Yes. Does it NEED HQM? No. BUT because the progression line has been altered quite a lot, and there are new ways to get stuff (e.g. putting new materials into a crucible to get a new liquid) it is SORTA needed, but not to the extent of QUEST EVERYTHING!

Reactions: goreae

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
For example, I am working on a new pack at the minute. Does it have HQM? Yes. Does it NEED HQM? No. BUT because the progression line has been altered quite a lot, and there are new ways to get stuff (e.g. putting new materials into a crucible to get a new liquid) it is SORTA needed, but not to the extent of QUEST EVERYTHING!
So you're using HQM more as a tutorial there?

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
I am opposed to HQM being in EVERY pack. But packs that have a custom map, or theme, where the progression line has been altered... yeah, HQM is needed. But in a kitchen sink pack, or one where all but a few recipes are the same/same progression line-different recipes, NO. JUST NO. For example, I am working on a new pack at the minute. Does it have HQM? Yes. Does it NEED HQM? No. BUT because the progression line has been altered quite a lot, and there are new ways to get stuff (e.g. putting new materials into a crucible to get a new liquid) it is SORTA needed, but not to the extent of QUEST EVERYTHING!
Quests are also useful if you want your pack to tell a story. I doubt Let It End or Running Red would've been nearly as great if there wasn't quest books to supply the story behind everything. I wholeheartedly agree that HQM doesn't belong in every pack. But it's hard to tell a story through gameplay without HQM.

Yulife

Jul 29, 2019
It is silly to say that HQM does not fit into ANY pack. It is a mod that needs to be configured by the author and can be used in many versatile ways, whether it is a tutorial, a story or a complete gameplay changer like it is in the "The Breach" by @Iskandar.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
So you're using HQM more as a tutorial there?
Yeah, only because the progression line is altered very greatly (for example, you are starting out in spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace)

It is silly to say that HQM does not fit into ANY pack. It is a mod that needs to be configured by the author and can be used in many versatile ways, whether it is a tutorial, a story or a complete gameplay changer like it is in the "The Breach" by @Iskandar.
Yeah, I am not saying that it doesn't have it's place in mod packs. But there are some packs which seem to be adding HQM just for the hell of it.

Lgweaver

Jul 29, 2019
The thing that bugs me is the mixing of genres doesn't that bug other people? A RPG should be a RPG. a Sandbox game should be a Sandbox game... they shouldn't mix or am I just totally off base?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
The thing that bugs me is the mixing of genres doesn't that bug other people? A RPG should be a RPG. a Sandbox game should be a Sandbox game... they shouldn't mix or am I just totally off base?
HQM doesn't fit into vanilla gameplay, you are right. But if a pack is more "RPG" based (quests are a viable option, it has lore, etc.) then it fits.

Lgweaver

Jul 29, 2019
But if a pack is more "RPG" based (quests are a viable option, it has lore, etc.) then it fits.
this my problem. I just don't see this ever as a viable thing, but apparently some do. because these paces have at least some people downloading them. RPG and Minecraft to me seem like oil and water, its a mix of genres and that does not compute in my aged brain.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
this my problem. I just don't see this ever as a viable thing, but apparently some do. because these paces have at least some people downloading them. RPG and Minecraft to me seem like oil and water, its a mix of genres and that does not compute in my aged brain.
Dude. Please tell me you're joking. Do you not see the heavy RPG influence in Minecraft? Medieval technological status, encahntments, potions, it even has XP for frak's sake.

Reactions: Beeze23 and Yulife

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Oh, another thing, this game wouldn't be nearly where it was now if people just adhered to the build things gameplay. The beauty of minecraft is it does have something for everybody. You like FPS games? Shotbow and MCPVP have servers that host FPS minigames. You like GMod-type minigames? plenty of servers host those. Hardcore survival? Lots of mods make survival harder, and some packs blend these together for a harder experience. Like RPGs? There' the NPC mod, plenty of maps, then there's HQM.

The point I'm trying to get across here is there's something for everybody, but everything isn't for everybody. Some people don't like RPGs. Some don't like shooters. The basic rule of thumb is, if you don't like it, don't play it. Simple as that. Nobody's forcing you to play agrarian skies or tolkiencraft. A lot of people like HQM packs. That's enough to keep making them.

Lgweaver

Jul 29, 2019
I love RPG's, and have been playing them since before they were available on computers. and I owned one of the first on PC, Wizardry. I still play RPG's now, it's the idea of mixing genres that gets me. at this point i'm just going to drop this ball. before I upset someone. that is not my intention, really it isn't. I just don't understand the concept of mixing things like this.

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft is in essence a sandbox game. Meaning there is very little in terms of limitations on what the player can do or create. So in other words, if roleplay is how you play, go for it, if collecting everything is how you play, go for it, if building the scale model Enterprise is how you play, then go for it.

-----------------------------------------------
Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: goreae and Yulife

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft is in essence a sandbox game. Meaning there is very little in terms of limitations on what the player can do or create. So in other words, if roleplay is how you play, go for it, if collecting everything is how you play, go for it, if building the scale model Enterprise is how you play, then go for it.

-----------------------------------------------
Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2
Make remixes of music? GO FOR IT!

Reactions: pc_assassin

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
I like when HQM is used for a sort of reward system; "feed the beast" to get epic loot (AgS hinthint). But I digress...

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I like when HQM is used for a sort of reward system; "feed the beast" to get epic loot (AgS hinthint). But I digress...
Or if you are playing some packs you will get a load of crap from the reward bags, and get the odd diamond in the rough... which I like more, as it means players aren't relying on rewards, and aren't going to fall behind a youtuber (if they are watching one) because the youtuber got <uber op item> and you got <crap item>

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Or if you are playing some packs you will get a load of crap from the reward bags, and get the odd diamond in the rough... which I like more, as it means players aren't relying on rewards, and aren't going to fall behind a youtuber (if they are watching one) because the youtuber got <uber op item> and you got <crap item>
If that's a reference to MQ, well yeah, things are still being balanced and all that. If not, carry on!
Still though, the rewards should be items that actually count toward something a lot of the time. Then there's that bag that spawns creepers but we don't talk about that one.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
If that's a reference to MQ, well yeah, things are still being balanced and all that. If not, carry on!
Still though, the rewards should be items that actually count toward something a lot of the time. Then there's that bag that spawns creepers but we don't talk about that one.
It's actually a reference to Let it End. There's very few items which give you an advantage at the stage which you get them. All bags up until the 3rd quest line are no higher than greater for that reason only :p