FTB Monster wither head/nether star farm?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

firstwaswhen

Jul 29, 2019
I really want a way to farm nether stars. They aren't obviously able to be farmed but I believe there is a way to farm wither heads. Does anyone have any tips? Preferably not with bees.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I really want a way to farm nether stars. They aren't obviously able to be farmed but I believe there is a way to farm wither heads. Does anyone have any tips? Preferably not with bees.
Skeleton spawner in the nether
Wither stars can be farmed with CC and MFFS

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
I can see the crash log now.. "Computercraft was killed by a Witherboss!"
Farming Witherheads can be done in the overworld as well. Just have a MFR spawner spawn skeletons and have them drop into some witch water where they will turn into wither skeletons. Farm with your usual mob killing methods.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
MFR spawner set to exact copy.

I have had many ideas. Obsidian room with arrow dispensers hidden into deep channels (thus reducing the chance that they get owned by explosions to a minimum). Auto refill with AE or routers, activate when redstone signal sent.

CC to place the blocks, then run the turtles the fuck away.

Activate MFFS + arrow dispensers.

CC to pick all the shit up.

-Yeaaaaaaaaah-

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I can see the crash log now.. "Computercraft was killed by a Witherboss!"
Farming Witherheads can be done in the overworld as well. Just have a MFR spawner spawn skeletons and have them drop into some witch water where they will turn into wither skeletons. Farm with your usual mob killing methods.
It would not crash. Turtles placing wither heads, going into a little hole, and then MFFS killing the wither

Reactions: Niels Henriksen

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
edit: this only works if you are in peaceful...thanks to yx33a for pointing that out

challenge accepted ;)

2014-04-23_185911.png

what is this you say? well apparently you CAN farm nether stars...without the boss fights. this is the matrix. everything is grown.

in monster, theres a recipe to make a nether star. it requires 4 soul sand and 3 wither skulls, just like youd made the boss. but it also requires a bow and a diamond sword. so, with magic crops and a tree farm, it can be done, fully automated. get diamond, nether, spider and wither soul seeds and grow them, process nether essence into soul sand, wither essence into skulls, and you should know how to build the rest.

2014-04-23_185952.png

the crops have cyclic assemblers taking the crop essence and crafting the item off that crop. the mac handles autocrafting everything else

as usual, automation comes with the package:

2014-04-23_185926.png

ae level emitters control a piston that extends a redstone block over the harvester for that crop, effectively shutting it off till the threshold set in the emitter drops and that crops item is needed again.

its not very fast, even with the lilypads and the fertilized dirt, but it works ;)

Last edited:

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
oh wow did not know that. i r derp then

even the reliquary recipe for nether stars is out of order...nerfed?

Last edited:

FizzX

Jul 29, 2019
I farm Wither Skulls with a Cursed Earth Spawner in a nether fortress. This also generates lots of blaze rods and mob essence.

I make Soul Sand with Magic Crops.

I've set up a wither cage with Thaumcraft warded blocks and Iron Spikes at the top to kill them. Water flows through the bottom of the cage to sweep the drops out, where they're grabbed by a vacuum hopper.

I use a turtle to build the Wither then retreat through a hole in the cage. The program sleeps for 100 s after each cycle, plenty of time for the wither to die.

There's an extra utilities transfer set up with a rationing pipe to keep a stack each of coal, skulls and soul sand in the wither.

I'm sitting on about 750 nether stars at the moment, and still have a couple thousand wither skulls sitting around. :)

SixOnTheBeach

Jul 29, 2019
I farm Wither Skulls with a Cursed Earth Spawner in a nether fortress. This also generates lots of blaze rods and mob essence.

I make Soul Sand with Magic Crops.

I've set up a wither cage with Thaumcraft warded blocks and Iron Spikes at the top to kill them. Water flows through the bottom of the cage to sweep the drops out, where they're grabbed by a vacuum hopper.

I use a turtle to build the Wither then retreat through a hole in the cage. The program sleeps for 100 s after each cycle, plenty of time for the wither to die.

There's an extra utilities transfer set up with a rationing pipe to keep a stack each of coal, skulls and soul sand in the wither.

I'm sitting on about 750 nether stars at the moment, and still have a couple thousand wither skulls sitting around. :)
What pushes the wither into the spikes, and what stops the wither from blowing up the water?

FizzX

Jul 29, 2019
What pushes the wither into the spikes, and what stops the wither from blowing up the water?
The wither cage is just big enough to hold the wither, so it ends up in the spikes and takes damage. The water source is outside the main cage and around a corner, so it's protected from the wither itself; there's only flowing water at the bottom of the cage.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
If you aren't using bees you're tryharding.

Modded minecraft that doesn't use apiarism and/or exothermism is emasculated and sad :(

I just found there's a bee in Monster that makes Dragon Eggs. I'd have it running but I don't have a need for Dragon Eggs yet. I don't even know if there is one in Monster. I know in Ultimate there was a power generator that required one dragon egg.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
I just found there's a bee in Monster that makes Dragon Eggs. I'd have it running but I don't have a need for Dragon Eggs yet. I don't even know if there is one in Monster. I know in Ultimate there was a power generator that required one dragon egg.
It actually only makes pieces for a dragon egg; you also need the bee that generates soulful wax, I believe it's called. (I have both, went on a mad bee breeding binge...have close to 200 species now. Protip: don't bother with vengeful/vindictive/etc., the irradiated comb does nothing and the effect will destroy your base quickly if you leave them be.) Unfortunately, dragon eggs aren't good for much other than using bees to spawn more ender dragons.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
It actually only makes pieces for a dragon egg; you also need the bee that generates soulful wax, I believe it's called. (I have both, went on a mad bee breeding binge...have close to 200 species now. Protip: don't bother with vengeful/vindictive/etc., the irradiated comb does nothing and the effect will destroy your base quickly if you leave them be.) Unfortunately, dragon eggs aren't good for much other than using bees to spawn more ender dragons.
Or Oblivion Frames. They need Dragon Eggs. And the Dragon Egg doesn't even spawn Dragons without mods.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Or Oblivion Frames. They need Dragon Eggs. And the Dragon Egg doesn't even spawn Dragons without mods.
Ah, right, forgot about the oblivion frames, I've been using Gendustry so frames haven't been put to use. (Next time I'll combo both systems, one gene per bee gets to be a pain.) Bees can spawn dragons, though, using the Resurrection effect. Only downside is each dragon spawns another portal when it dies, at least in the end. I also had an odd visual glitch when I used this, it spawned a second ghost dragon that was stuck on a block and just flapped its wings constantly. Was extremely amusing but sadly my friends couldn't see it.
(This effect can make life very interesting if you unwittingly use a looting weapon on a nearby cave spider...)