FTB monster Ore distribution

.The.Worms

Jul 29, 2019
Hi ive been wondering if there's a way to know the ore level distribution for the FTB monster pack ?

I started branch mining to get thing started off but i seems to be lacking some basic ore, for example i have a very low supply of iron for some reason i barely cant find any...

With the previous pack ( ultimate, Direwolf and others ) i used to start branch mining at y42 and y12 to cover every ore possible but right now it doesnt seems to be doing the trick so far

so does anyone have any clue on the ore distribution or simply why i cant seems to find some damn iron ore ..

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
Take a look at the CoFHWorld-Generation.cfg file in your \minecraft\config\cofh folder

It specifies the level (min-Y to max-Y bands) and quantity (number and size of clusters) to generate during world generation for most ores.

e.g. in Monster 1.1.0 - iron generates between several y levels: 19-34 is the densest concentration, medium between 48-63, and moderate 93-117 and 142-171

Ironically, your search at y12 is too low, while y42 is right in the middle of no-mans-land for Iron (but great for copper, certus & ferrous)

Last edited:

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
here's a simple graphic to illustrate*

SwMQsom.png

* note: y levels are approximated, for the purpose of representing the bands. Monster 1.1.0

Last edited:

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome chart!

But does anybody know, why the FTB folks decided to leave these strange gaps in the ore distribution? Between level 25 and 38 no Tin or Quartz? And should you make your branch mine at level 50, then you won't find any copper? Then move your mines to level 40, but then there is no iron? It just doesn't make sense.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
To force users to mine at different levels. Oregen in 1.7 is going to be radically different and you will be able to see a prelude to the style of oregen I'll be moving to when I release the 1.0.8 update of BnB.

Reactions: un worry

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
To force users to mine at different levels. Oregen in 1.7 is going to be radically different and you will be able to see a prelude to the style of oregen I'll be moving to when I release the 1.0.8 update of BnB.

Thanks, Eyamaz. And understood. :)

But wasn't that already the case with he original ore gen? You would normally have a mine at 45-50 for the common ores, like Iron, Copper and Tin. And then another mine further down for the rarer stuff like Redstone, Gold, Diamonds etc.

Probably it's just me being lazy, but with the new ore gen I didn't dig more mines. I just got turtles and a quarry earlier than before. The Ender Quarry is especially good, since it mines each block from top to bottom before moving to the next, the scattered bands for the ores don't matter much this way.

And since you mention BnB, that mod pack sounds amazing. Definately something on the to-do list ... as soon as the addiction for Agrarian Skies goes down a bit. :) The FTB team created some really fun packs for 1.6.4.

Reactions: Eyamaz

.The.Worms

Jul 29, 2019
here's a simple graphic to illustrate*

SwMQsom.png

* note: y levels are approximated, for the purpose of representing the bands. Monster 1.1.0

Wow awesome graph answer all my question ! Explain why im not getting any iron since the two level i chose are in the gaps between iron spawning level !