FTB Mindcrack Pack Ore Heights

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Thermal Expansion has fully configurable ore gen for TE and vanilla ores. Slowpoke and the team have tweaked the generation so that you should have enough ores for all your mods. I don't quite understand how the config works, but as far as ore level goes, this seems to be correct

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
I think most people are probably mining at ~Y=12, which, according to your list, you won't be finding Silver and Led there (the main ones for Factorization).

The only ore I can say I am low on is Copper, but with my temporary hole in the ground being surrounded by water that isn't surprising. I'm not far from mainland though, so it won't take long to set up a secondary hole for a bit of higher mining.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Slowpoke and the team have tweaked the generation so that you should have enough ores for all your mods.

From what I can tell, the TE config for copper, lead, silver, and tin are TE defaults, and not tuned for this package. If you delete that section of the config, or do a download from TE's wiki and install that, it gets recreated to the exact same numbers. The only tuning done by FTB is for the vanilla diamond/iron/gold, and seems to decrease all three

It should be noted that the Direwolf package does not change the vanilla spawn rates, but has the exact same numbers for copper, lead, silver, and tin (which once again I believe to be the TE defaults)

I think most people are probably mining at ~Y=12, which, according to your list, you won't be finding Silver and Led there (the main ones for Factorization).

I'm using a number of turtles (in creative, for testing) to tunnel down, getting every single block between the sky and bedrock. Tin and copper and lead are much less than 1.4.2, and silver is incredibly less.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
Silver being less isn't a surprise. In the BETA pack there were 2 different silver veins being generated, one of them being factorization where their veins are huge.

Bavalos

Jul 29, 2019
Well, who doesn't like a challenge? It's more realistic this way. You shouldnt be able to get a ton of ores on one caving exploration. This encourages players to explore more! Yay for adventure!

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
Well, who doesn't like a challenge?
Many people. (Or, to put it another way - is your current world hardcore/vanilla/not using any pickaxes? If not, why? It's more of a challenge that way.)
It's more realistic this way.
This is Minecraft you're talking about. The game where you can hold >3000m^3 of stone in your inventory, hold water back with signs, make a mountain with a single cubic meter each of lava and water, and can have floating islands in the sky.

Also, realistic != better. Many people play games to get away from real life.

You shouldnt be able to get a ton of ores on one caving exploration.
Why not?

This encourages players to explore more! Yay for adventure!
Actually, this encourages players to explore less - to instead of having fun casually mining just giving up and just using a frame quarry.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
Lava generation is way way lower (maybe that's a vanilla change)

So far, three different lava lakes, each separated by more than a 100 blocks, starting under y15 and ending on bedrock. Bedrock?! Never seen that before in lava gen. Just saying.

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
Lava generation is way way lower (maybe that's a vanilla change)

So far, three different lava lakes, each separated by more than a 100 blocks, starting under y15 and ending on bedrock. Bedrock?! Never seen that before in lava gen. Just saying.
That's vanilla, I think. Interesting, though - makes geo generators less desirable early-game.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
You can turn the RP and Factorization spawns back on with no problem - and I've verified that the RP and BC ores happily worldgen together, but IC2 as configured conflicts with BC and can't have its spawn turned back on.

Buildcraft does not have any ore worldgen whatsoever. The only thing it adds is oil. Whatever you confirmed, it's something else :p

The only tuning done by FTB is for the vanilla diamond/iron/gold, and seems to decrease all three

From watching the streams just prior to release, it's more likely that they are increasing it. Unfortunately we don't have any explanation for the settings, but what I think is happening here is that TE adds extra iron/gold/diamond clusters on top of what vanilla generates. That's why the numbers are so small. It's in all likelyhood a bonus to vanilla worldgen, not a replacement.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
That's vanilla, I think. Interesting, though - makes geo generators less desirable early-game.

Except, volcanos have pools beneath their shaft down don't they? And/or Nether more desierable. Railcraft should work just as well in nether gates as myst gates, right?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Railcraft should work just as well in nether gates as myst gates, right?

Correct, minecarts can travel through nether portals just fine. It was added a while back, but actually bugged out and only got fixed now with 1.4.6.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
From what I can tell, the TE config for copper, lead, silver, and tin are TE defaults, and not tuned for this package. If you delete that section of the config, or do a download from TE's wiki and install that, it gets recreated to the exact same numbers. The only tuning done by FTB is for the vanilla diamond/iron/gold, and seems to decrease all three

I'm using a number of turtles (in creative, for testing) to tunnel down, getting every single block between the sky and bedrock. Tin and copper and lead are much less than 1.4.2, and silver is incredibly less.

So now diamond, iron and gold are MORE than vanilla now. We have tested that with many worlds and against vanilla spawn rates!
Silver is less than it was because the Factorization one was turned off, that is correct. Both Tin and Copper should be more or less equal to the amount of the Beta A pack.

What most people do not realize is that with the amount of mods added that all use the same ore it FEELS like there is less. But there really is not, you just burn through it faster! And we like to keep it that way, so you actually have to think a little bit how you do things.

Bavalos

Jul 29, 2019
@
TheLoneWolfling no need for bashing. I was just stating my opinion. Thanks for disecting my post and analyzing each major point and then arguing against it. That was a great use of time! It really added to the overall thread topic. Thank you for your contribution.

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
no need for bashing. I was just stating my opinion.
Really? The first sentence of your post was either a question or a negative assertion, both of which invite an answer.
Thanks for disecting my post and analyzing each major point and then arguing against it.
I often do this - it means that I can actually thoroughly respond to a post.
That was a great use of time! It really added to the overall thread topic. Thank you for your contribution.
You're welcome, and thank you for yours. I feel that it added to the overall topic just as much as mine did.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
So now diamond, iron and gold are MORE than vanilla now. We have tested that with many worlds and against vanilla spawn rates!
Silver is less than it was because the Factorization one was turned off, that is correct. Both Tin and Copper should be more or less equal to the amount of the Beta A pack.

What are the chances of you (as in, the modpack team) or King Lemming himself posting a little guide on what the config options actually mean? I am extremely enthusiastic about having these options and would love to know more!

Like, is it true the vanilla numbers are bonuses in addition to vanilla spawns, not replacements? If you change the vein size, does that only affect the bonus, or also the vanilla vein sizes? Regarding vein size, is that number always generated, or is it a maximum and the actual vein size is randomized for each vein? If so, is the lower bound 1, or something else? And is each size equally likely (linear distribution) or is there a peak somewhere (normal distribution)? Where's that peak? If I halve the number of ore veins but double the vein size, do I get the exact same amount of ore, or just roughly the same, or really not anywhere near the same amount? What if it's the other way around, double the veins but half the size? Can I simply compute the expected average ore per chunk by doing vein size * vein number, or is there additional math (like the aforementioned randomization) going ito it?

And that's just spontaneously off the top of my head, I bet I can come up with more if I try :p

Bavalos

Jul 29, 2019
Really? The first sentence of your post was either a question or a negative assertion, both of which invite an answer.

I often do this - it means that I can actually thoroughly respond to a post.

You're welcome, and thank you for yours. I feel that it added to the overall topic just as much as mine did.

Once again, completely necessary.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
What are the chances of you (as in, the modpack team) or King Lemming himself posting a little guide on what the config options actually mean? I am extremely enthusiastic about having these options and would love to know more!

Like, is it true the vanilla numbers are bonuses in addition to vanilla spawns, not replacements? If you change the vein size, does that only affect the bonus, or also the vanilla vein sizes? Regarding vein size, is that number always generated, or is it a maximum and the actual vein size is randomized for each vein? If so, is the lower bound 1, or something else? And is each size equally likely (linear distribution) or is there a peak somewhere (normal distribution)? Where's that peak? If I halve the number of ore veins but double the vein size, do I get the exact same amount of ore, or just roughly the same, or really not anywhere near the same amount? What if it's the other way around, double the veins but half the size? Can I simply compute the expected average ore per chunk by doing vein size * vein number, or is there additional math (like the aforementioned randomization) going ito it?

And that's just spontaneously off the top of my head, I bet I can come up with more if I try :p

We would need King Lemming to answer those. We have a rough understanding of how it works, but i do not want to spread false information at the moment.

Reactions: TheLoneWolfling

SublightNova

Jul 29, 2019
Tbh for the direwolf pack which i'm currently playing tin and copper ores are so extremely rare at any height that i'm thinking about giving up altogether. I've been running and mining through an insane amount of caves last couple of days combined with some intense strip mining (or whatever its called) and all I had to show for copper, tin wise was about 12 copper ore and about the same amount of tin.

Someone before said... it has to be challenging... Yeah right.. mining 24/7 is really just that.

Either something is really broken inthere or they have tuned it down to insane small amounts... Either way.. the fun is gone.

Oh and obviously no diamonds either..

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
Many people. (Or, to put it another way - is your current world hardcore/vanilla/not using any pickaxes? If not, why? It's more of a challenge that way.)

I've played hardcore, vanilla, hardcore vanilla, etc. Not using any pickaxes is silly as that isn't making things more difficult, that's just limiting your options in game. Disabling armor/weapons would make things more difficult, or no beds. That being said personally on our multiplayer server we ignore beds other than to set spawns as well.

If you want things quick and easy there's always mystcraft accelerated worlds on easy/peaceful settings with disability disabled, or just go creative...

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
My own experience in one world using mindcrack-

I haven't started really mining yet, because I've found 2 ravines near my house. One of the ravines connects to an extensive cave system that goes up to just barely underground in areas and down to layer 12 at others. It's extremely easy to get lost in... So far, I've found a fairly good balance of all the ores. Tin and silver look nearly the same, and the glowing aluminum is the ore I mostly walk past. I'm not finding diamonds though.. Found some in dungeons, and village blacksmiths, but only one vein of 7 in all my non-extensive travels. I'm sure that will change when I get around to doing some proper mining.