FTB Mindcrack Pack Ore Heights

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
These are the heights that I know of for ore spawn heights on the Mindcrack pack. If someone could help me track down the rest of them, that would be great.
  • Copper: 40-75
  • Iron: 20-40 (+0-63)
  • Lead: 20-40
  • Silver: 15-35
  • Tin: 25-50
  • Diamonds: 0-16
  • Gold: 0-32
  • Ruby: 0-32
  • Sapphire: 0-32
  • Apatite: 16-88
  • Emerald: 4-32
  • Coal: 0-110
Nether:
  • Pyrite: 0-64​
This means that instead of mining on one layer, it looks like people will have to mine on three different heights at a minimum to get all ores. My suggestion would be y14, y30, and y45, at least at a quick glance. It's mainly the copper that's really annoying, though, as it's so much higher than anything else.. Of course, this all becomes mostly irrelevant when one gets a quarry going.

Reactions: Bevo

Bavalos

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome information! This will induce a more thorough world exploration that's for sure instead of diving straight down to y 12. Of course, like you said, all you need is a quarry to get everything, but that will have to be set fairly high if a player wants to get all of the copper.

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome information! This will induce a more thorough world exploration that's for sure instead of diving straight down to y 12. Of course, like you said, all you need is a quarry to get everything, but that will have to be set fairly high if a player wants to get all of the copper.
Thank you!
I'm more concerned about RP2 Tunnel bores...

danny75

Jul 29, 2019
i have posted this on a separate thread, but didn't slowpoke say you were able to configure ore gen (neptunepink was working on it)...or did i misunderstand?

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
It's in the Thermal Expansion config somewhere, and it allows you to customize the generation of TE and vanilla ores.

lewtz

Jul 29, 2019
I've gotten sapphire just now at 50, along with iron. I have not tweaked anything. This is default Mindcrack FTB.

Zaik

Jul 29, 2019
I believe Thaumcraft's infused ores start at 50 and go down to 15 or so?

At least they did in the magic world pack, dunno if that's changed.

Totalepicfailz

Jul 29, 2019
Can you confirm that tin generates at level 45? it says it can show up between 50-25 but i have been mining at level 45 for ages and not found any...

Totalepicfailz

Jul 29, 2019
I found just a little bit of Tin very close to level 50.

guess i will have to just keep looking then, or try a bit lower down xD I love that there is less generated but at the moment i'm finding it hard to find enough ore to make even the most basic stuff

madaffacca

Jul 29, 2019
Tin is a pain! It's almost rarer than diamond for me! I usually hang around in cave systems, so no y12 tunneling, but I found 10 diamonds and 6 tin so far (mined for around 1 hour)

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I presume the rarity is because all but one mod (bc?) has worldgen for tin, copper, lead and silver disabled, in addition to the height limitations. Anybody using factorization is going to be crippled by lack of lead and silver

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
They used the very powerful ore generation customization options added to Thermal Expansion to adjust ore levels to where they thought it was appropriate. The rarity is more of a problem of ores not being where people are used to digging, and mining habits have yet to be adjusted accordingly.

Factorization is the only potential problem, and that's IF they actually disabled its generation.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I can guarantee they disabled factorization spawn, because its in the config, and the amount of silver for mirrors and lead for everything else will make this an issue if you use factorization.

I've seen the config for Thermalcraft to set where the metals spawn, and other messages here about it, but it's either affecting how much spawns as well, or Buildcraft is itself. BC seems to spawn less tin and copper than IC2 or RP individually would. And much much much much less than BC+IC2+RP would normally in combination. So if you're using all three in your game, then you're going to be out of metals. I know in 1.4.2 I was constantly out of tin and copper both, and that was of course without RP.

You can turn the RP and Factorization spawns back on with no problem - and I've verified that the RP and BC ores happily worldgen together, but IC2 as configured conflicts with BC and can't have its spawn turned back on.

Alternatively, you can expect to mine more. A lot lot more.

Alterna Altneratively, is the Gregtech industrial centrifuge of lava which now provides copper instead of iron.