FTB Launcher: incorrect java detection on OSX

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
Note: I can't put this on the support site as the OpenID providers are not showing on the login screen.

The FTB launcher's options page states "Your system does not contain Java 7(Minecraft does not support Java 8 on Mac)."

This is incorrect, as I am executing the launcher with "Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_55-b13)"
Launcher log Pastebin

As well, the text display for this appears to not be rendering correctly. Screenshot:
Screen Shot 2014-05-07 at 0.40.03.png

Note that this doesn't interfere with operation, it seems to work just dandy.

Reactions: Kanahan

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
... huh.
It's not often that something posted in Launcher Feedback even looks like a bug, normally it's people who did something wrong that think they've found a bug.
However, I legitimately can't see anything you could have done wrong here. Good job, this your bug actually looks like a bug :p

Not sure who I should mention in for the OpenID thing, but I'll take a guess at @Captainnana ?

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
... huh.
It's not often that something posted in Launcher Feedback even looks like a bug, normally it's people who did something wrong that think they've found a bug.
However, I legitimately can't see anything you could have done wrong here. Good job, this your bug actually looks like a bug :p

Not sure who I should mention in for the OpenID thing, but I'll take a guess at @Captainnana ?
It's because most openID isn't even enabled on the support site right now, you need to signup to the site manually to post there

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Works fine for me ;)
Edit: Just double-checked, I guess I just never noticed it- I am also having the error.
Edit 2: Also, the error isn't even correct. Java 8 works fine for MC on OSX.

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
... huh.

Thanks :) I'll just say that I spent a couple years with a job title of "Beta Analyst"

Has anyone else running into this actually been unable to launch? As Santa says, it seems to work fine even if you are using it. In my case I have a suspicion (based on the bad text overdraw) that the label widget (or whatever this toolkit calls that) is just getting enabled by accident and it's not actually barking at you.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

progwml6

Launcher Dev
Launcher Developer
Mod Developer
Nov 15, 2013
i need to know where these java's are installed so i can try to fix this

progwml6

Launcher Dev
Launcher Developer
Mod Developer
Nov 15, 2013
Java 8 is not supported on osx due to lwjgl stuff, and any fixes have not been vetted properly by Mojang, thus we cannot support java 8 on osx

Kanahan

Jul 29, 2019
I'm also using Java 7, I also tried to download the recommended build(also if I'm already using it) and it doesn't helped me in any kind of way...

expertgamersHD

Jul 29, 2019
I think I know your problem draeath.
I also had this problem and I figured out how to fix it.
1. Download and install JDK 7 for MAC.
2. After Installing go to Terminal and execute this command EXACTLY HOW I PUT IT:
/usr/libexec/java_home v 1.7
3. After pressing RETURN or ENTER it should say where your JDK File for 1.7 is. Example for me it said: "/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_60.jdk/Contents/Home"
4. Going back to the Terminal execute the command:
export JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_60.jdk/Contents/Home
or whatever your Terminal said when you did that last command.
5. After this you can close Terminal and open up your FTB launcher. It shouldn't have any errors.
6. Profit!

If this helped I was happy to help anyone else who had this problem!
:) :) :)

EDIT: For anyone thinking that the FTB launcher was detecting your Java wrong... well your wrong. You just didn't tell the FTB launcher where your Java is located. Soo, yea.

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
4. Going back to the Terminal execute the command:
export JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_60.jdk/Contents/Home
or whatever your Terminal said when you did that last command.

I have one question. What component will use JAVA_HOME environment variable? Does OS X' check that variable when selecting which java is used to launch .jar when use starts .jar from GUI or is configured or does OS X read default JVM from some other place?

expertgamersHD

Jul 29, 2019
I have one question. What component will use JAVA_HOME environment variable? Does OS X' check that variable when selecting which java is used to launch .jar when use starts .jar from GUI or is configured or does OS X read default JVM from some other place?
Well OS X uses JAVA_HOME to locate which java version to use. And if you want to use most java orientated programs than you HAVE to set this variable.