FTB Infinity Skyblock 1.7.10 Help, Venting and Discussion Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

krazy_kow

Jan 9, 2014
No RF (no matter how it's generated) - that's my rule for magic playthroughs. I'm not gonna loosen that, because once you open the gates there's usually no stopping me :D

I'm also gonna miss the magnum torch, but there is a blood magic ritual for that I believe

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
Another question: I was using the squeezer to make seed oil. I never used upgrades before.
This page here https://forestryforminecraft.info/crafting:squeezer
says that slot 2 is used for circuit boards, but some sentences below it says I can upgrade with specific electron tubes. I am a bit confused now. I can't insert both into the slot. So what exactly do I need to upgrade the machine? Or do I need specific circuit boards?

krazy_kow

Jan 9, 2014
You insert electron tubes into circuit boards to get specific effects. The different kinds of boards only have increasing numbers of slots for tubes.

Reactions: Sandstroem

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
And I insert them by crafting them together or do I need a machine for that?

There are 4 grades of circuit board - supporting 1 thru 4 installed tubes.
The circuit boards are programmed by using the forestry Soldering Iron.

This gives a very confusing UI that makes it very easy to mess up the circuit board: The way to use it it:

* With the soldering active on your action bar, right click to open the UI.
* Toggle the mode between Manual Farm, Automatic Farm, Upgrade etc.
* Drag tubes from your inventory to the slots to set their function *1
* When, and only when, you are 100% happy with your selection, drag a circuit board - ensuring it supports as many tubes as you have inserted - into the appropriate slot. It will immediately consume the 0 - 4 tubes and appear, programmed, in the output slot.

1: Fill the slots from the top to the bottom if you don't intend on using the diamond (4 slot) circuit board. Also each of the the slots have a default function that requires no tube, and can be used in devices that support that function even if a smaller circuit board is used.

For example, A forestry multiblock farm always has 4 quadrants, so if you with to create a full sized Tree Farm (manual or automatic) you can used the cheapest quality circuit board as the default function for the slots that cannot be programmed is tree farm.

The other use of the Soldering Iron is to remove circuit boards from devices prior to moving them. Breaking a device with an integrated circuit will typically destroy the circuit, however if you open the device UI, and drop a soldering iron onto the circuit slot the circuit will be returned to you.

Last edited:

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Rant: So, as it turns out - having chosen Immersive Engineering for its cool looks and stylish alternative to redstone / whatever RF duct / conduit...

IE LV cables suffer from a 5% loss per 16 blocks traveled. But - and this is important - non diminishing. So its not 5% on the first chunk, and then 5% of the RF remaining on the next and so on. Instead - loss is a flat 5%*distance/16. Means that - running a copper (LV) cable over 320m you will literally get 0RF/t out.

Or - if you build (say) a windmill at Y=201 and need to get the power down to your workshop at y=72, you will loose 40% of the RF/t over the 128 blocks. But wait - theres more - the distance penalty is greater if the cable is carrying less than capacity. A LV cable carrying 100RF/t has a 6.5% loss penalty per 16 blocks traversed . So, probably a ~60% power loss trying to get the RF down from a windmill.

yay. @#*$ me for not bowing to convention and spamming survivalists or making cheesy waterwheels.

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
But that would be one cable right? If you place blocks in a 10 block distance or so up to your windmill and put a connector on each and connect them via a new cable, you shouldnt loose anything. You just have to pillar up to get the blocks placed.

Energywise I usually go for culinary generators directly. With a large field of sojbeans you can produce a nice amount of RF to get your basic machines going. I don't even bother for a while to get into better foods, the silken tofu produces a decent amount of RF and I have generators spammed all over the place.

Sometimes you see those DW20 fanboys who do the hobbyist engine and then directly go to waterwheels, only to abandon those 2 minutes later. :D

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
But that would be one cable right? If you place blocks in a 10 block distance or so up to your windmill and put a connector on each and connect them via a new cable, you shouldnt loose anything. You just have to pillar up to get the blocks placed.

Energywise I usually go for culinary generators directly. With a large field of sojbeans you can produce a nice amount of RF to get your basic machines going. I don't even bother for a while to get into better foods, the silken tofu produces a decent amount of RF and I have generators spammed all over the place.

Sometimes you see those DW20 fanboys who do the hobbyist engine and then directly go to waterwheels, only to abandon those 2 minutes later. :D

It doesn't matter how you try and subdivide it. IE computes the effective wire distance traveled and (for LV cable) produces a loss of (at minimum) 5% per 16m traversed. Crossing 128m requires a minimum of 8 segments (LV cable can only be 16m long before a connector is required) but you could put in 127 LV connectors with 128 1m lengths of wire and the loss would be exactly the same.

Reactions: ICountFrom0

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Can this not be mitigated with higher voltage cables and transformers? That is what they are for, right?

Nope. The mod author wants to ... motivate people to not just spam the highest tier cable. So there is an efficiency penalty for underusing the cable. So, while HV cables nominally only have a 2.5% loss per 16m, as the 50RF/t I'd be generating falls way WAY short of the expected 4096RF/t the extra penalty will be huuge.

Depending on how the mechanics are done - it might be possible route the input into an HV capacitor at the top of the tower - which will charge up but hopefully only emit RF when it has collected 4096 RF - i.e. a packet every 4 seconds... but as that single RF bundle will be 4096 RF for that tick, it might be transmitted with optimal efficiency.

--
Some empirical stuffs:

If I just build 2 windmills at Y=71, hook them up with LV cables to a capacitor - it charges up at 48RF/t.
If I build a tower all the damned way to Y=201, build two windmills and route their power into a MV capacitor and run MV cable down the side, I get a whopping 69 RF/t - a whole extra 21RF/t or 44% power boost. It would have been way cheaper and easier to just build a 3rd windmill.

*sigh*
--
What the hell are IE transformers for anyway? It seems one can easily put any connector on any capacitor, which effectively converts to the new RF/t with the benefit of adding a buffer, and multi ins and multi outs.

Last edited:
Reactions: ICountFrom0

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Nope. The mod author wants to ... motivate people to not just spam the highest tier cable. So there is an efficiency penalty for underusing the cable. So, while HV cables nominally only have a 2.5% loss per 16m, as the 50RF/t I'd be generating falls way WAY short of the expected 4096RF/t the extra penalty will be huuge.
Looking at the code, it looks like that efficiency penalty caps out at 1.4x the normal loss. So with 2.5% base loss it'd be a max of 3.5% loss after the efficiency penalty.