FTB Infinity mod choices

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It's not really a matter of being nice or civil. Stating it that way seems to say you expect all mod creators to behave in the way you do or they are not'nice or uncivil. Not all people handle getting the same impatient "ARE WE THERE YET????!" type of question, over an over. I totally understand the frustration of many delvelopers when every 3rd poster is asking for a status update. Especially when the same people don't bother to scroll up or read a couple of pages back to see if they can find the info themselves.

The question was: do you have an eta? the answer was 'no'. I don't see how this is being uncivil in any way. Hell, I'm surprised he even saw the question in the first place to answer it.
Amusing opinion noted.

I'll still provide ETAs to people who ask however. What other developers do for their users is their issue.

Reactions: Padfoote

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
Amusing opinion noted.

I'll still provide ETAs to people who ask however. What other developers do for their users is their issue.

I wasn't in any way suggesting you shouldn't do things how you prefer. My point was that you seem to not want other developers to do things the way they prefer.

Glad i could amuse you.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Excited Fan: Can you tell me when the next version will be released?
Some devs: No
Better devs: I'm not sure at this time, sorry/I can't disclose that at this time, sorry/I want it to be a surprise, sorry.

I've been developing professionally and casually for 20+ years, 15 of which where at least thousands of people are using my applications. One thing I've learned is that feeling "harassed" by questions isn't an excuse. And to be clear, this is addressing your point, not Reika or any dev specifically. Average devs will be curt. The best will rise to the top still conduct themselves like kind people no matter what.

You're suggesting that I want people to do things the way I do them. If the choice is between being kind and not being kind, then yes: other people are wrong, I'm right. Its that simple.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
the twitch streamer Sevadus is actually working on a pretty interesting modpack concept right now.
it's similar to how Resonant Rise 3 works, you've several modules that you can match together, each module containing certain mods, and by putting them together you're basically creating your own modpack.
with RR3 you can pick configuration settings out of a few choices which will make the game either easier or harder but Sevadus is taking it a step further and is trying to make it so if certain modules are put together the configurations will change and be customized to fit the module pairings.

it'd be pretty interesting if FTB would create something similar to this, though I'm sure this kind of concept sounds great, but is a pain in the arse to create and maintain

BaxtorUK

Jul 29, 2019
Better devs: I'm not sure at this time, sorry/I can't disclose that at this time, sorry/I want it to be a surprise, sorry.

I've been developing professionally and casually for 20+ years, 15 of which where at least thousands of people are using my applications. One thing I've learned is that feeling "harassed" by questions isn't an excuse. And to be clear, this is addressing your point, not Reika or any dev specifically. Average devs will be curt. The best will rise to the top still conduct themselves like kind people no matter what.

You're suggesting that I want people to do things the way I do them. If the choice is between being kind and not being kind, then yes: other people are wrong, I'm right. Its that simple.

Well said sir , very refreshing indeed.

totalhamman

Jul 29, 2019
Wow I take the weekend off of internet browsing to focus on my family and come back to this.

For the record, Reika's response to my ETA request was the most entertaining response I have ever received. IMO if a dev does not want to answer and responds with a cryptic image, they are a successful troll. On the flip side, linking to a Rick Roll page, however "official", is the laziest way to provide a non-answer ever. Some people need to step up their game :p

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019

Exited fan has evolved in to Irate fan: Not good enough buddy! /rage /crackWhip
"Some" devs: .... Whatevs
Better devs: *cry* forgiv plz
Irate fan: NO FU! NOWNOWNOWNOW I has weekend to plan man!
Better devs: OK it will be done Friday (but it wont be becasue reasons)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Exited fan has evolved in to Irate fan: Not good enough buddy! /rage /crackWhip
"Some" devs: .... Whatevs
Better devs: *cry* forgiv plz
Irate fan: NO FU! NOWNOWNOWNOW I has weekend to plan man!
Better devs: OK it will be done Friday (but it wont be becasue reasons)
I'm....not sure what to make of that :p

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
*scratches head*

Responding to someone who makes a polite inquiry does not obligate you to respond similarly to someone who becomes "Irate".

Reika has demonstrated quite effectively what happens when people reach new highs (lows?) with their comments to him.

Pyure has maybe not suffered the same level of frustration yet with the user base, or has a higher tolerance level. Either way, each has their own (correct) way of dealing with their users.

How a mod developer responds to users is entirely up to them. Me? When I've got WAY less than 100 users for my mod, I'm happy to chat with everyone. When I've got orders of magnitude more users and have experienced even a fraction of what other devs have, I'll probably adjust that stance. I like to think I'll still be mostly the same. *shrugs*

ZephyrWindSpirit

Jul 29, 2019
-places nitor in the thread to lighten the mood-

For my personal Infinity client, I added Iguana Tinkers Tweaks and Storage Drawers. The random modifiers are a fun reward for putting in the work to level them. Plus, no half-hour portal to the nether, you have to work for it, and make a smeltery.

I'm a more magical/decorative mod enjoyer, as I do not have a long attention span for doing high tech mods. Get bored after a few weeks, and hop to another pack. Granted, I'm still living in a hill that I hollowed out and when I get a wand of equal trade, it will be made into a lovely wooden hobbit hole, after the lava pool in my basement is drained.

What I would like to add potentially for myself later

Morph
Bat mode for the win. No, I'm not addicted to flight... not at all. -hides wings-

Villager's Nose.
I've only found two villages in exploration, and that is a fun/villager humiliation mod to grow-your-own-villagers. I can't help wondering if any villagers in Villager's Nose will grow into werewolves...

Minecraft Comes Alive
Squidward villagers are boring. Adopt babies, and send them fishing. Never run out of fish again. Wish the adults could still do 'chores'.

Doggy Talents
I have not done hardly anything with this mod, but what apprentice witch can be without their own high powered superdog Bolt?

ExtraBiomesXL/Alternate Terrain Generation
Biomes o Plenty is so used, Its in practically every worldgen geared pack I've played recently. BORING. Granted, I dont' wish to start my world over, so next world.. Maybe.

Mob Drop Crops
You like dying a lot in the start and racing back for your stuff? No? Neither do I. Play peaceful and go get your own mob drop crops. That, and enable the ender lily seeds recipe. :D

Automagy
Because auto livingrock/smooth stone = YES with magical redstone. Block breakers are boring, but needed... which one does silk touch again?

Some mod that makes horses better
Someone please make a split-off of Mo-Creatures for solely the horses? Or something similar to Horsey Talents, where you can have a superhorse.

Tails
Dragon tail for the win.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I was actually surprised that hunger overhaul and iguana tweaks weren't added as optional mods...
though I would only use iguana tweaks if there's a way to remove modifiers and after that add the modifiers you want, because I really hate getting certain modifiers on my tools

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I was actually surprised that hunger overhaul and iguana tweaks weren't added as optional mods...
though I would only use iguana tweaks if there's a way to remove modifiers and after that add the modifiers you want, because I really hate getting certain modifiers on my tools
You were? I guess those would fit more into hardcore type packs.

ZephyrWindSpirit

Jul 29, 2019
I think there is an option to mess with modifiers in the iguana tweaks config.
Much as hunger overhaul is helpful/hell on earth, Harvestcraft gives the right click harvest for those modded crops. I'd turn off hunger and use Hunger overhaul otherwise.
Maybe if we suggest, they could be considered.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
What's that mod I see in Resonant Rise that messes with power and ore gen?

you'll have to be a bit more specific, because RR3 has alot of mods and with most mods you can change things as power requirements and world generation through configurations

ZephyrWindSpirit

Jul 29, 2019
Scarce Ore Gen, Plentiful Ore Gen, Easy power, Painful power... stuff like that? I don't see it in RR3, might have been in RR2.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Scarce Ore Gen, Plentiful Ore Gen, Easy power, Painful power... stuff like that? I don't see it in RR3, might have been in RR2.

RR3 does allow you to pick between several configuration packs, which affects all the configuration files from mods, which could make the game easier or harder and things like that