ftb infinity best power source?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
But there is also powering the rftools dimension. And they chew through energy

Depends. I have RFTools dimensions that take as little as 10 RF/tick. If done carefully you can actually make some pretty cheap dimensions that are usable for getting power out.

TheSepulcher

Jul 29, 2019
Depends. I have RFTools dimensions that take as little as 10 RF/tick. If done carefully you can actually make some pretty cheap dimensions that are usable for getting power out.
Can you give me a dimlet list for some kind of lava dimension.I have a ton of dimlets waiting to get scanned

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Well it all depends. The goal here is to use little RF/tick for the dimension but still have plenty of lava. Here are a few tips:

• First a Liquid or Material dimlet used in combination with a terrain dimlet will be more expensive compared to having the same dimlet with a feature dimlet. That's because you will usually get more of it if you use it for a terrain. On the other hand it is much easier to pump or quarry the liquid/material if it is an ocean or flat terrain as compared to having to get it out of liquid orbs or tendrils scattered through the sky. So that's a choice you have to make first.
  • A good feature dimlet that gives you a relatively easy way to pump out liquids is the 'shallow oceans' feature. This can be only used in combination with any of the 'island' terrain types. It will give a relatively shallow ocean but it is flat and thus easier to pump out then (for example) lakes or liquid orbs. And Shallow Ocean will incur a cheaper cost on the liquid lava dimlet.
  • Another nice way is to make sure you insert plenty of 'efficiency' or 'mediocre efficiency' dimlets at the end of your list of dimlets. An efficiency dimlet will reduce 20% of the cost and it is cummulative. If you have two it will be 40% less. With 5 you can bring the cost down to 10 RF/tick (which is the minimum). Efficiency dimlets are rare but using the dimlet workbench it is possible to actually create them.
  • The ideal lava world is thus a world where you have the following dimlets: <liquid laval> <terrain normal> <biome ocean> <biome single controller> <efficiency> <efficiency> <efficiency> <efficiency> <efficiency>. That dimension will use just 10RF/tick and has tons of lava to pump out.
So in summary: not easy but consider it a nice challenge :)
As a bonus in the end you will have a world that has guaranteed no instability.

tekkitan

Jul 29, 2019
To expand on this, unless you're VERY early game, I'd use a magmatic dynamo over a lava generator. Higher base power production and a less expensive and more versatile upgrade system. Plus it looks cooler by far.

Lava generator is for the ender-thermic pump. It provides it plenty of power to do it's job. Magmatic dynamos are for the overworld.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Raw power with visual impact and complexity in a single system? An oversized Big Reactor (beyond 11^3) feeding however many maxed out turbines.

Compact and sneaky for the most part? Get a Wither grinder going for nether stars and use the 64x Nether Star Generator. If you need more power after that, I'd love to hear what you're actually doing. :eek:

Vollder

Jul 29, 2019
For end game solar generators whould be the best i mean 64 x the 64x Solar generators from Extra Utitlies the Diamond Block's u can take from an RFtool world... :D but i guess it's up to you how you want it :D btw you don't need to power the world just use an ender pouch and the staff of power (but it's pretty expensive tho)

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe they have changed, but the XU Solar Generator couldn't generate and transmit power at the same time last I played with them. I find this to be less than a perfect solution, even if it is "set and forget" passive power.

I feel that a BR Turbine is easy enough to automate for considerably more power (24k RF/t without any outside input, if you build the self-sustaining system). Considering the costs, the BR Turbine might be just as easy (if not easier) to build mid game, especially since you can start off with a small Turbine and upgrade it as materials become available. You could do the same with solar (building base level gens, then compacting them as materials become available), I suppose, but the outputs would still be lacking.

Maybe I've just never been a big solar guy in MC. Real life, I love the idea. In MC, there are more fun systems to play with.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
They did change. Or at least the basic one. I always just set it up with a daylight sensor and energy cell. Day is over, it dumps power into the energy cell.

I've always been a fan of Railcraft steam into BR turbines.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
They did change. Or at least the basic one. I always just set it up with a daylight sensor and energy cell. Day is over, it dumps power into the energy cell.

I've always been a fan of Railcraft steam into BR turbines.

I used to do that, too. Then MFR added a Steam Boiler that puts out a reliable (non-exploding) 400mb/t. They take less fuel overall, and they reach useful temperatures in a much more reasonable timeframe. Slap five of them against your max sized Turbine and feed it with lava buckets with a Lava Fabricator/Fluid Transposer. Bam! Infinite power.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I used to do that, too. Then MFR added a Steam Boiler that puts out a reliable (non-exploding) 400mb/t. They take less fuel overall, and they reach useful temperatures in a much more reasonable timeframe. Slap five of them against your max sized Turbine and feed it with lava buckets with a Lava Fabricator/Fluid Transposer. Bam! Infinite power.
Suck on that, laws of thermodynamics :p

Reactions: Inaeo

Baaleos

Jul 29, 2019
Realise this is an old thread- but surprised no one has mentioned the lightning rod?
Immersive Engineering lightning rod captures 16 million rf per lightning bolt, put that in a lightning dimension, then pipe the energy out via tesseract.
Your rod is likely to get struck at least 4+ times per minute, assuming the rod structure is large enough, but it really is infinite free energy.
Just use chunk loader to keep the power flowing.

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
I've used most of the power gen systems available in Infinity and nothing can match big reactors for either cost per RF/tic or total output. I start with ender IO sterlings, and go straight to a 4x4x3 reactor that makes 1k/t to run a BC quarry. It will mine way more than enough to feed the reactor and start making parts for the bigger reactor and I rarely have to add fuel once I load a few stacks into it. After that a 9x9x5 that makes over 8k/t passive, and will eventually fuel 4 turbines making almost 100k/t that will get me to endgame unless I go deep in Draconic. The first turbine gets me to 24k/t. By the time I build it I am feeding it using ender chests from automated processing systems fed by an ender quarry and using a basic computer craft setup to regulate it. The ender quarry is producing at least 4x more yellorium than what the reactor burns without any speed upgrades. I walk by it once in awhile to look or restart the computer after rebooting game. Otherwise it is totally hands off with none of the quirks of feeding things with miles of ducts. I say this because I've spent inordinate amounts of time trying to figure out where the ducts are glitching for tree farm power plants or acres of dynamos fed by multiple ender pumps from the nether that have to be moved constantly. Yes, I have drained the nether. As much as I love TE that is just the nature of the beast.

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Advanced Generators thinks that's cute. For the same size as the reactor, AdvGen produces 200k. And runs on any liquid fuel you can pump into it. IE biodiesel, Forestry Ethanol, Buildcraft Fuel, all four Pneaumaticraft fuels, all three Magneticraft fuels. Or it has it's own fuel you can produce. And it can run on steam from anything that can make it.

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
If you feel like messing with the infrastructure to make those fuels sure. No thanks. Processing ore is way easier.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
You can even run it on straight oil if you're so inclined, it's just less efficient. Though Buildcraft is actually the easiest of the three since it's a single block to process it to fuel.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
It's kinda cheesy and a little expensive to build, but basically free to run. You can run big reactor turbines using MFR steam boilers. With one MFR lava fabricator, a fluid transposer, 10 MFR boilers, and 2 80 blade turbines. 5 boilers are needed per turbine(80 blades with enderium blocks). The lava fabricator feeds a buffer tank on top a fluid transposer set to fill buckets. Ender IO conduits pull full buckets, send them to the boilers, and then return empty buckets to the fluid transposer. Use a tesseract or super laminar fluiducts to move the steam. The lava fabricator only uses 4k rf/t so you end up with around 50k rf/t net gain in power.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I was playing with it in Modular Mayhem. Though a quick check shows FTB Inventions, FTB Unstable (1.9), and Horizons Daybreaker all have it as official packs.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
It's kinda cheesy and a little expensive to build, but basically free to run. You can run big reactor turbines using MFR steam boilers. With one MFR lava fabricator, a fluid transposer, 10 MFR boilers, and 2 80 blade turbines. 5 boilers are needed per turbine(80 blades with enderium blocks). The lava fabricator feeds a buffer tank on top a fluid transposer set to fill buckets. Ender IO conduits pull full buckets, send them to the boilers, and then return empty buckets to the fluid transposer. Use a tesseract or super laminar fluiducts to move the steam. The lava fabricator only uses 4k rf/t so you end up with around 50k rf/t net gain in power.

This has been mentioned above. A full tutorial is available both on the post above, and in my signature.

Infinity doesn't include Advanced Generators, although I'm excited to see how hard I can push them in Inventions.

Reactions: Greystoke