FTB Horizons: Daybreaker Discussion

Nonsanity

Jul 29, 2019
You know, @Gideonseymour DID ask if this was ok before doing it... There was some dissent, but not as much as right now. If you were going to get THIS upset, you should have done so earlier. :p

Had I seen that message at the time and the question about Java 1.8 in it—which I didn't—I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it or responded in any way. I'd never run Minecraft with Java 1.8 and had no inkling about all the problems it causes. I'm sure most readers of this thread, and all the players that don't read it, were similarly in the dark on this topic. But now I and others know that there are significant problems with 1.8—that can't be denied. If we're speaking up a little late, that's the reason. (Seems legit to me.)

Another problem with the update is that hosts—such as mine—are only running Java 1.7 and can't upgrade individual accounts. So I, and many others, would be suddenly in search of a new host for their server if the pack continues with Java 1.8 at this time. I'm not personally complaining here—I've switched hosts many times in the past for less reason. But when the decision is made, this needs to be taken into account. Not everyone that runs a server is going to find moving it an easy task. Not to mention those that are locked into a pre-paid plan with no recourse for a pro-rated refund.

FTB is a leader in Minecraft pack distribution with a very large user base of widely varying degrees of technical skill—probably not the right size of audience to turn into alpha testers.

I've played with Matter Overdrive before. I LOVED the phasers. But—and it's a big but—fun as it is, the pain of Java 1.8 (at this time) is worse. It's always a rough transition when a large body of work needs to convert all at once. There are so many individual mod developers and none of them are likely set up with a quality assurance department to test their code on different platforms and Java versions. It takes time and the concerted efforts of the community to track and report such things. I don't think there has been nearly enough time to even start tracking down Java 1.8 bugs in all those mods.

Matter Overdrive and homeless servers, versus a less buggy experience for all and no phasers... I'll turn in my sidearm and comm badge, thank you. (OR better yet: get the Matter Overdrive devs to check the installed Java version and adapt gracefully at runtime. When more mods are tested with Java 1.8, such politeness might no longer be necessary. But for now...)

Reactions: TDarkShadow

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Serious question here, but has anyone tested a version before the latest update with Java 8? Because I'm highly doubtful that Java 8 is the cause of all these issues; I've been running MC on Java 8 long before Horizons came out without a single issue. It is entirely likely the issues being reported come from other mods that were updated.

Kinnon21

Jul 29, 2019
Serious question here, but has anyone tested a version before the latest update with Java 8? Because I'm highly doubtful that Java 8 is the cause of all these issues; I've been running MC on Java 8 long before Horizons came out without a single issue. It is entirely likely the issues being reported come from other mods that were updated.
I have been using 1.8 since April (currently update 31) after discovering it might make minecraft run faster, and it did. I have had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Java 8 fixed more problems than it caused. Trust me on that.

If you'd like, copy the mods into MultiMC or something similar and try it on Java 7. I'd bet money that the issues still occur (with the exception of @Landstryder's legit computer crashes or whatever - that's a bug to bring to oracle haha). As well, we're not going to be going back to Java 7 with this - what the community wants isn't necessarily the best. For instance, look at the requested Mekanism - it's responsible for more than half of the current open issues in Daybreaker. I know this change isn't popular, but that's hardly a reason to boycott mods and entire packs. If you really hate me for forcing Java 8, go play a similar third party pack, or one on the ATLauncher, or the Technic Launcher. You have options, and I'm not stopping you.

eadmund

Jul 29, 2019
Current version.. Look at the recipe for a oil filled canister.. should be a canister with obsidian on top/bottom and both sides.

I can guarantee that doesn't work with an Empty Canister (4447:1001) surrounded by four obsidian in a cross or an X, or surrounded by eight obsidian. I've made no alterations to the pack.

EchoingZen

Jul 29, 2019
Experienced the complete loss of the contents of my Tome of Knowledge from EE3. Crushing. I see a few reports on the github for it and no response. Mod hasn't been updated since May. I wonder if it's a dead mod.

TDarkShadow

Jul 29, 2019
Experienced the complete loss of the contents of my Tome of Knowledge from EE3. Crushing. I see a few reports on the github for it and no response. Mod hasn't been updated since May. I wonder if it's a dead mod.
Nah, Pahimar is having some troubles in real life. You can check his blog and twitter. He shall return.

Reactions: EchoingZen

D4rkWulf

Jul 29, 2019
If you updated it can be your player data file has been overwritten in some way. saves/[world name]/playerdata/ee3. Just keep a backup somewhere or add them yourself

eadmund

Jul 29, 2019
I can guarantee that doesn't work with an Empty Canister (4447:1001) surrounded by four obsidian in a cross or an X, or surrounded by eight obsidian. I've made no alterations to the pack.

Ah-ha! I checked it out, and my server was somehow missing Crafting.zs

Last edited:
Reactions: Type1Ninja

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019

I have also been running Java 8 since it came out. I have played most of the packs on the FTB launcher the whole time with no issues. It helped minecraft run much better for me.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
side question: is it okay to have the entire post colored?

Avoiding the rest of the post as I can't answer it without making assumptions.

While there's no rule against it, I'd suggest not doing that simply because it can be extremely difficult to read on either the light or dark theme, as well as because forum mods here rely on colour and bold to get attention when we need to moderate things. That being said, if you want to go full colour, I'm not going to stop you so long as it isn't green or red as those two are used by mods.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Player API mod needs to be added to the pack to fix being able to go to the Extra utilities dimensions(Deep Dark, Last Millenium). After some research, it seems the Galacticraft gives the extra slots(space gear) by creating a fake player. This causes problems with EU dimensions. Simply adding the Player API mod fixes it. You do not have to change the dimension id's like some people suggested when I was researching the issue. I also have updated Galacticraft and EU to the latest versions and still had the issue without the player api mod.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Okay I got it. People don't like colors. People only like boring black&white... :(
I will just stick to this color then. I hope you're using the dark theme~
Please don't tell me you also don't like fonts.
Maybe there a way to change the text color just on my side? Like, a customizable theme?
Back on topic, EMC value of stained clay definitively shouldn't be 258. (Mesa biomes...) But since EMC is completely broken anyways... Why does this mod is even in this pack?
Also, please, don't speak about children to me. Please.
Well if you want people to answer your questions it needs to be readable on all formats.. meaning dark and light themes. And if you make your font tiny I won't even read it.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Just tested, it's still perfectly readable on the light theme.....
I use tiny fonts for what doesn't really matter, so it's okay if no ones read it. That's why it's tiny anyways.
But I will make sure to use no formatting whenever I will have to ask anything~
That would be best, I know a few people who frequent the forums are colorblind and one in particular is totally colorblind and only sees black, white and shades of grey.

PowerElite

Jul 29, 2019
Is it just me or does EE3 Chalk not work for me? It doesnt show the circle at all. I have tried pressing all EE3 Controls buttons without conflicting ones, but no thing worked. Any help?

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
I re-discovered an amazing power generation option. Basically free power in that once you set it you can not worry about maintaining it. Hydro-electric modules from Engineers Toolbox. I have 36 of them chained together to make a dam on a river and haven't had any issues keeping my elite energy cell up and running.

The hydroelectric turbine generates 10 RF per tick when installed on a socket which is in a river biome. The socket must be at a height inclusively between 40 and 64 and the module must be installed on a side of the socket which is adjacent to a water block. So I'm generating 360rf/t plus the top layer has solar panel modules on top of that producing 5rf/t which is another 60rf/t total free rf is 420 rf/t. That is the supplemental power to my biomass generators and those barely run anymore.