FTB Horizons - Applied Energistics Power Source

ScottDark

Jul 29, 2019
With the mod being new and all as well as a lot of older mods being updated...what's the most efficient way to power AE just starting out and in the late game? I've looked at the dynamos, particularly steam and magmatic dynamos however they don't seem really efficient in my current location ( I live 200 blocks in the sky with no access to water or lava). Is there any other mods that would power AE efficiently?

Yosomith

Jul 29, 2019
I've had good success running an AE system from geothermals, both early game and late game. Once you can build a generator it is a very very small step to upgrade it to a geothermal. Main thing that changes from early to late is the number of them used and an energy storage device (MFE, MFSU etc...).

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
I've had good success running an AE system from geothermals, both early game and late game. Once you can build a generator it is a very very small step to upgrade it to a geothermal. Main thing that changes from early to late is the number of them used and an energy storage device (MFE, MFSU etc...).
no ic2 in FTB Horizons
I'm pretty sure TE is your only option really so setting up a surface tree farm for charcoal may be a good way to supply those steam engines

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Well, how would you define as in no access to water and lava? As in, you're playing the skyblock survival map challenge? Or just that it isn't very convenient for you to travel to and from from your base to the surface to collect them?
If it is the former, well, working it out is the challenge. :p
If it is the latter, just grab 2 buckets of water so you can have a infinite water source. Then grab at least a bucket of lava.
As KhrFreak stated, have a charcoal farm up and running and you should be able to power gour AE and more.
Use an Igneous Extruder to make cobblestone. Use your excess (I hope you do) power to run your Magma Crucible to melt the cobblestones into lava so you have lava to make obsidian.
Pricey in terms of power but at early game, you only need a handful of obsidian anyway and not a boatload of them.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Yosomith

Jul 29, 2019
no ic2 in FTB Horizons
I'm pretty sure TE is your only option really so setting up a surface tree farm for charcoal may be a good way to supply those steam engines

Right, forgot about that (playing in the DW20 pack) in that case I'd go with the dynamos I think. Maybe look into engineer's toolbox, there is an interesting way to generate power there fairly early on, an Algae Farm. ReactorCraft might provide some late game options. Also Ender IO has an M/J producing generator and solar panels.

Last edited:

ScottDark

Jul 29, 2019
About the infinite water source though...I thought that the steam engine has to actually use water source blocks? I tried to set one up in creative mode just to test it out and I either had to set up a portable tank or right click the steam engine with a water bucket....Also tried surrounding the steam engine and water, but that didn't seem to work. So how would this infinite water work with just two source blocks?

Yosomith

Jul 29, 2019
About the infinite water source though...I thought that the steam engine has to actually use water source blocks? I tried to set one up in creative mode just to test it out and I either had to set up a portable tank or right click the steam engine with a water bucket....Also tried surrounding the steam engine and water, but that didn't seem to work. So how would this infinite water work with just two source blocks?

You have to pipe the water into the engine from something that gathers the water, like a tank, for it to work. But yes right-clicking with a water bucket manually puts the water in.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Aqueous Accumulator from TE3, needs 2 source block on 2 sides of it and it will start pumping out infinite water.

Also 2 buckets of water in a 2x2 block of space, one bucket on 2 opposing corners will make you a 2x2 infinite water pool.

Since you're going to use TE3's Steam Dynamo, you can attach Fluiduct to your Aqueous Accumulator to the Steam Dynamos and Itemducts from your charcoal supply to the Dynamos.

Just a heads up too, the latest iteration of TE3 requires you to insert a pneumatic servo into the fluiduct/itemduct in order to make them extract by itself.

Last edited:

ScottDark

Jul 29, 2019
Aqueous Accumulator from TE3, needs 2 source block on 2 sides of it and it will start pumping out infinite water.

Also 2 buckets of water in a 2x2 block of space, one bucket on 2 opposing corners will make you a 2x2 infinite water pool.

Ok thanks. I thought that with pumps it would use the source blocks, I knew that one source block can make a pool or whatever, but thought that the steam engines used source blocks. Meaning that if I dig a 4x4 hole and use two buckets there will still only be 2 source blocks even though the rest is filled with water doesn't make them source blocks. I understand that.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
No, 2 buckets in the 2x2 hole turns all 4 blocks into source block. No offense, but that is like, basic minecraft knowledge?

ScottDark

Jul 29, 2019
Try digging a small hole and use two buckets filled with water, then wait for it to fill up then use those two buckets again and the water will be gone instead of using say 8 buckets to drain the water.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Try digging a small hole and use two buckets filled with water, then wait for it to fill up then use those two buckets again and the water will be gone instead of using say 8 buckets to drain the water.
You're doing it wrong. Filling a 2x2 hole with two buckets of water should allow you to fill an infinite amount of buckets from it.

ScottDark

Jul 29, 2019
You're doing it wrong. Filling a 2x2 hole with two buckets of water should allow you to fill an infinite amount of buckets from it.

Well, I didn't know that I just tested it out myself, so it looks like water blocks become infinite in a 2x2 hole but anything larger than that and it doesn't become an infinite water source. Strange. Is it supposed to work like that though? Almost seems like a bug.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I didn't know that I just tested it out myself, so it looks like water blocks become infinite in a 2x2 hole but anything larger than that and it doesn't become an infinite water source. Strange. Is it supposed to work like that though? Almost seems like a bug.
The mechanic is is that any block that has two water source blocks horizontally adjacent to it will become a water source block. If you're removing a water source block that is not adjacent to at least two water source blocks, it will not regenerate into a new water source block.

ScottDark

Jul 29, 2019
One last question, what kind of pipes do I use to get the water from the tanks into the steam engine? Fluiducts or something? Nvm I figured it out. For anyone else that may be wondering just use the fluiducts with the Aqueous Accumulator connected by a fluiduct directly connect that to a steam engine.

Last edited:

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Can the same be done for lava?
If you mean the creation of lava source blocks, no. Your best bet for a constant lava supply is an ender-thermic pump from Extra Utils (that's in Horizons I think...), and T3's tessaracts to transport it from the Nether.