FTB fail after Windows 8.1 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitty

Jul 29, 2019
Operating System, bit type: Windows 8.1 Professional, 64-bit
Java version/update, bit type: Java 7 Update 51 (64-bit)
Launcher version: 1.3.4
Completed the troubleshooting guide (y/n): Yes
Console log, pastebin.com link: http://pastebin.com/76CiWp3g
Description of the problem: I made the mistake of "upgrading" to Windows 8.1 yesterday, and now FTB just won't launch the game. Shortly after hitting the Launch button it just crashes to the desktop without displaying an error.

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
It is either an lwjgl or trying updating your video card drivers. If windows installed it's own driver for your video card then that is most likely the problem.

Bitty

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the really quick response.

The driver was from AMD, but just to be sure I installed the latest stable version from their site. Still no luck.

The only instance of any lwjgl file on my system is in the FTB\<modpack>\Natives folders, created with this install. I've tried a few modpacks now with the same results.

Anything else I can check?

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
What gfx card does your system have?

Can you post a fresh log as well please?

Upon looking at a few threads on other forums it could also be that if your gfx card is old and is just not supported by windows 8.

Last edited:

lavarthan

Jul 29, 2019
You might want to read this from reddit. Found the link from gamefaqs forums. Be careful wary of trying any of those 'fixes' just downgrade the drivers to be safe.

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
Which driver did you download because I have looked on the amd support website and the latest driver for your card is over a year old. I would try using the auto detect option from the support page, link below, to see if it gives you a different driver than the one you installed.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

If it still does not work after this then I would suggest either going back to your previous version of windows or upgrade your gfx card.

Bitty

Jul 29, 2019
Got it working! I took a closer look at exactly what driver was being installed by the Catalyst installer, and Windows decided that nope, this one here driver is the latest, and screw you if you think you're going to install anything else. There was no warning of this from the installer aside from a painfully difficult to read XML file. Steps taken to beat Win8.1 into submission:
  • In Device Manager, expand Display Adapters
  • Right click on the card in question and choose Update Driver Software
  • Choose "Browse my computer for driver software"
  • Choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" (this is the key here, because manually selecting a location will give the I-know-what's-best-for-you response)
  • There were 3 choices: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series, ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1), and Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.
  • I selected the first one without the Microsoft tag and hit next
  • Wait a year and a half for it to swap out. Be patient here, it looks like it's looping with the screen resetting over and over, but it's not.
Yet another case of software trying to be too smart.

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
So I assume by that post that you are now up and running and the error is gone. If so, please let me know and I will get the thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.