FTB Direwolf20 1.16 Freeze

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Rom_whisky

Dec 20, 2020
When I launch the game everything goes well but after playing 5 min I reach 96% of ram and it freezes. Then the percentage goes down to 80% and when it reaches 96%, it freezes again. When I start the game I'm around 50% 60% ram.
The configuration of my PC is :
- 16 gb of ram
- AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
- RTX 3070
- the modpack is installed on the hard drive.
sorry if i made spelling mistakes... I'm French

Tormak

Dec 20, 2020
The same is happening to me, probably is a memory leak, i have 64 GB, dedicating 16 GB and still crashing.

Zinic

Dec 20, 2020
Had the same issue, removing naturesaura.jar fixed it. I'm assuming that it's agressively checking or updating chunk data causing the leak, but I have no way to confirm this.

But before deleting it, 30 minutes into a new world and the memory usage was so heavy I froze every two seconds, after deleting it no freezes, even after significant chunk generation over the course of about two hours.

Specs:
- 16GB
- Intel i5 9600K
- nvidia 1080

Manbeartooth

Dec 20, 2020
I am having the issue as well, running the latest 1.1 version seems to have started the issue for me. I was running the 1.0 previously just fine a few days ago.
I have 32GB on a 9700k with a 2080ti for reference.
I have tried the default 6GB and gone up to 10GB, still the issue persists.
I then downgraded back to 1.0 and it seems to be working better now, still has a hickup every know and then but at least playable.

Rom_whisky

Dec 20, 2020
Had the same issue, removing naturesaura.jar fixed it. I'm assuming that it's agressively checking or updating chunk data causing the leak, but I have no way to confirm this.

But before deleting it, 30 minutes into a new world and the memory usage was so heavy I froze every two seconds, after deleting it no freezes, even after significant chunk generation over the course of about two hours.

Specs:
- 16GB
- Intel i5 9600K
- nvidia 1080
Does'nt work for me

MoparDan

Jul 29, 2019
Does'nt work for me
Same here. I tried downgrading naturesaura to a previous version, and it did help, but after awhile the freezes return.
Things I tried:
Default ram and upto 8Gb ram settings.
external java version (set via in-game launcher, NOT ftb frontend.)
downgrading naturesaura

MoparDan

Jul 29, 2019
FYI - The memory leak issue seemed to be tracked down to Astral Sorcery per the github page. An updated pack has just been released to *hopefully* resolve the issue.

Zinic

Dec 20, 2020
FYI - The memory leak issue seemed to be tracked down to Astral Sorcery per the github page. An updated pack has just been released to *hopefully* resolve the issue.
Yeah, fixed it for me, so that seems to have been the issue

codydg

Dec 21, 2020
I'm hosting a server that was started in version 1.1.0, and it crashed once, I believe due to the memory leak mentioned above. Does anyone know if I would be able to upgrade to 1.1.1 without resetting the world?

Based on the changelog below, I'd expect it to work fine but I'm always hesitant to updating servers with a pre-existing world.
Astral Sorcery 1.13.7 -> 1.13.6
MineTogether 4.1.6RC6 -> 4.1.6RC7

As a more broad question, is there anywhere I could consistently go to find this type of answer? For example, if version 1.2.0 comes out tomorrow I'd have the same question again.

MoparDan

Jul 29, 2019
I'm hosting a server that was started in version 1.1.0, and it crashed once, I believe due to the memory leak mentioned above. Does anyone know if I would be able to upgrade to 1.1.1 without resetting the world?

Based on the changelog below, I'd expect it to work fine but I'm always hesitant to updating servers with a pre-existing world.
Astral Sorcery 1.13.7 -> 1.13.6
MineTogether 4.1.6RC6 -> 4.1.6RC7

As a more broad question, is there anywhere I could consistently go to find this type of answer? For example, if version 1.2.0 comes out tomorrow I'd have the same question again.
In short, the only time you would need to do a map reset is if a mod that was updated changed any type of world gen.

To be completely honest, even then, a map reset may not even be needed. This is the guideline I followed when I used to run servers....

1. Did the mod update add any *major* overworld changes like new buildings being generated?
Yes: Are the new generated structures required for any recipes or major mechanics to the mod?
-Yes: Either perform a map reset, or installing a mod for a 2nd world where the structures can be generated (prefered one that can be reset as needed).
-No: Then either ignore the change or install a mod for a 2nd world so the structures can be generated (prefered on that can be reset as needed).
No: Continue to 2...

2. Did the mod update add any *minor* overworld changes like ore generation?
Yes: The ores will be added when new areas are explored if the map wasn't pre-generated or....
Wipe and reset the mining map so the ores can be generated.
No: Continue to 3....

3. Did the mod update change anything *trivial* like new craftable items or crafting changes?
Yes: As long as it doesnt change world generation, then nothing needs to be done (except for checking for exploits)
No: Was just a bugfix/feature enhancements/etc. Then nothing needs to be done (except for checking for exploits)

Yes, No. 3 is kinda redundant, but A good reminder (expecially for public servers), that *ANY* change can cause an exploit to come up, and that exploit can range from item duping to bypassing protection schemes to causing a server to simply crash because a new undescovered bug came up because the mod changed.