FTB Departed Discussion

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
TiC does add the double ores mechanic, but i agree they are way to powerful for how easy they are to get compared to the others.
Thaumcraft adds x2 and x2 and a bit as well, Ztones adds x9 for vanilla ores for another. Other ore multiplying options are in the pack, just trickier to get or use

statphantom

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft adds x2 and x2 and a bit as well, Ztones adds x9 for vanilla ores for another. Other ore multiplying options are in the pack, just trickier to get or use

does thaumcraft add x2 for other dimension ores? haven't progressed in it yet.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
does thaumcraft add x2 for other dimension ores? haven't progressed in it yet.
No actually, you'd need either Witching Gadgets or AOBD for that. Although AOBD wouldn't go unappreciated anyway as it adds ores to the smeltery.

Crhymez

Jul 29, 2019
Hopefully starting up a discussion here, I don't think Tinkers Construct has a place in the pack.

AoA adds thier own items and even though a lot of work has been done to have the Nevermine 2 metals in Tinkers Construct, they are just too powerful.

Why make any other sort of sword if tinkers does better, in fact why even use a sword (unless the hunter mob has ranged immunity) when you can make a bow or crossbow that one hits all common mobs and takes bosses down in a few hits. The AoA guns and energy weapons are cool, but in comparison to any tinkers weapon, they're just obsolete...

I agree here, I love Tinkers but its way too strong in this pack. the Tools may be ok... but even those are a bit much, i got 100 forging in about 1hr.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
That's a ton of work though. I'd conisder making a recipe for knowledge fragments though.
Knowledge Fragments, as of the last time I used one which was only a couple of versions ago, only give you access to a research not the completed research. It's useful for very specific researches that require you to scan specific things, like the zombie brain for the Brain in a Jar research. My problem in thaumcraft with this pack is the lack of things to scan.

I agree here, I love Tinkers but its way too strong in this pack. the Tools may be ok... but even those are a bit much, i got 100 forging in about 1hr.
Tinkers' is really strong in every pack though. I really wish there were a "magical" alternative. Yeah, there's Botania and Thaumcraft, but all early game picks from those mods are fairly useless. Every ore from AoA seem to be diamond pick or better to mine which only leaves Diamond, late game botania and thaumcraft, or Tinkers' construct Alumite.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Tinkers' is really strong in every pack though. I really wish there were a "magical" alternative. Yeah, there's Botania and Thaumcraft, but all early game picks from those mods are fairly useless. Every ore from AoA seem to be diamond pick or better to mine which only leaves Diamond, late game botania and thaumcraft, or Tinkers' construct Alumite.
Actually both manasteel and thaumium picks are diamond tier mining and capable of mining AoA ores, so their early game picks work perfectly on them.
Knowledge Fragments, as of the last time I used one which was only a couple of versions ago, only give you access to a research not the completed research. It's useful for very specific researches that require you to scan specific things, like the zombie brain for the Brain in a Jar research. My problem in thaumcraft with this pack is the lack of things to scan.
You can consume knowledge fragments to get aspect points in the research table though, that'd be the method of countering a lack of things to deconstruct they're probably referring to.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Actually both manasteel and thaumium picks are diamond tier mining and capable of mining AoA ores, so their early game picks work perfectly on them.

You can consume knowledge fragments to get aspect points in the research table though, that'd be the method of countering a lack of things to deconstruct they're probably referring to.
Was the Manasteel and Thaumium mining levels changed for this pack? I haven't used them in a while, but last I did they were basically better iron tools.

Wow... that changes everything. Knowledge fragments became useful? wow. That's awesome. For the longest time, I've just been scanning them and leaving them behind. Wow... just wow.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Was the Manasteel and Thaumium mining levels changed for this pack? I haven't used them in a while, but last I did they were basically better iron tools.
If you use them in tinker tools, most definitely:

thaumiumstats.png manasteelstats.png

Keep in mind that neither requires a smeltery, as you can just use base patterns for them. If you are lucky enough with world chests, you can manage either fairly quickly, but they don't exactly have arduous requirements to make (remember that foraging Lv1 gives you gold nuggets; nine of those and you have your ingot for the mana spreader).

Reactions: darkeshrine

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019

Wow... that changes everything. Knowledge fragments became useful? wow. That's awesome. For the longest time, I've just been scanning them and leaving them behind. Wow... just wow.
No I tested it in a world first, they can mine them. They are just better iron tools though, however one of the better parts is the higher mining level, the others are basically just higher enchantability and durability. Knowledge fragments aren't that useful either, given their rarity unless you can setup a mob spawner they're just a minor bonus, right click with them to gain 1-2 points of every primal aspect.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
No I tested it in a world first, they can mine them. They are just better iron tools though, however one of the better parts is the higher mining level, the others are basically just higher enchantability and durability. Knowledge fragments aren't that useful either, given their rarity unless you can setup a mob spawner they're just a minor bonus, right click with them to gain 1-2 points of every primal aspect.
So... Diamond mining level tools with the durability of iron and the enchantability of gold. Whelp, I'll have a easier time in my next run through.

Verigen

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I got an easy alternative to an upgraded pick by having my stone tinkered pick level up to diamond addon which apart from giving it a ton of hp also leveled up it's mining lvl. That might warrant looking into as it skips the usual progression almost entirely.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I got an easy alternative to an upgraded pick by having my stone tinkered pick level up to diamond addon which apart from giving it a ton of hp also leveled up it's mining lvl. That might warrant looking into as it skips the usual progression almost entirely.
The "free" mods you get on a tool level-up are completely RNG and not something you want to rely on for your progression.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Hopefully starting up a discussion here, I don't think Tinkers Construct has a place in the pack.

AoA adds their own items and even though a lot of work has been done to have the Nevermine 2 metals in Tinkers Construct, they are just too powerful.

Why make any other sort of sword if tinkers does better, in fact why even use a sword (unless the hunter mob has ranged immunity) when you can make a bow or crossbow that one hits all common mobs and takes bosses down in a few hits. The AoA guns and energy weapons are cool, but in comparison to any tinkers weapon, they're just obsolete...
Playing myself, I'd have to agree with this. Just plain limonite gear is really powerful and incredibly cheap to upkeep. The tinker support is definitely getting a major nerf.

Also, getting a diamond-level pickaxe is really rather easy. It's fine that people get the diamond modifier from a level up. Also, getting a diamond on a pick is the intended progression step. Either that or crafting a diamond pick. Whichever floats your particular boat.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Playing myself, I'd have to agree with this. Just plain limonite gear is really powerful and incredibly cheap to upkeep. The tinker support is definitely getting a major nerf.
It could always be dropped in mining level, like mine-able with stone or iron and a mining level similar to iron. Essentially, just make it iron equivalent. It's certainly seems more common than iron and in bigger veins than coal.

statphantom

Jul 29, 2019
It could always be dropped in mining level, like mine-able with stone or iron and a mining level similar to iron. Essentially, just make it iron equivalent. It's certainly seems more common than iron and in bigger veins than coal.

I think that keeping diamond needed for limonite would be a good idea, it's very common but I think we need the stepping stone to get diamond or similarly rare material to make the transition from vanilla to AoA ores.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Actually, fun fact: there's more iron in your world than there is limonite. around 7% more to be more precise. Though if you're just talking about a mining area down at y level 6 or something, then yeah limonite is going to be far more prevalent. But I don't see what mining level has to do with anything. That part is golden. What I'm talking about is throwing knives that do ten damage on hit and are repaired with the second most common metal in the game. And that's just limonite. If you got sapphire knives with autorepair 2, then you're unstoppable.

is there a lightsource (decent looking) that I can attach to a roof (Nothing from Thaumcraft please) :)
There's the botania flash lens which goes really well on a mana blaster, and is dyeable to whatever color you want. It barely uses any mana to create a flash either. Seriously, the flash lens is just so amazing. there's a flat lamp in Ztones as well that you can use for a more industrial feel as well.

Reactions: Retec