FTB Beyond Crash on Startup

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.
P

Putrefax

Title FTB Beyond Crash on Startup

Launcher Type Twitch Desktop App

Modpack FTB Beyond

Modpack version 1.11.0

Have you modified the pack? No

Link to log file https://pastebin.com/EvC9ifyR

Details of the issue The modpack appears to download fine, but launching always results in these errors.
It's my first attempt at using this new Twitch launcher opposed to the old FTB client, and i'm not familiar with the launcher at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Ashcroft6019

I suffered the exact same problem. Occurred immediately after Twtich upgrade of the mod pack. I had the same result for SkyFactory 3. My solution for the second was to delete the entire profile and reinstall the pack. This problem is in my experience derived from pending windows 10 upgrades, twtich upgrades interfering with FTB modpack upgrades. I find that the only stable upgrade path is to apply windows 10, twitch updates then restart the machine, then attempt to run the mod pack upgrade. This is not always successful as the mod pack for me suffers numerous install roll backs and the only solution that works for me it to kill the mode pack installation entirely. Previously I have had to trash the entire suite of programs being Twitch, all mod packs, and minecraft and reinstall from scratch.

If my net connection fails for any reason then the install of upgrades ALWAYS fails. My only solution is to kill the installation profile for the mod pack. It is very frustrating when it happens and is one of the reasons that I will only play the mod packs off line.

It is high time that an effort was made to ensure that installation recovery actually works and that roll back should return the entire suite of elements to their original state or more effectively repair the broken installation by actually checking what was installed and continue to install what is missing instead of doing a stuff it up rollback. it is either the mod pack install is not good for the task or twtich making really stupid roll back and restore processes.

What I think is happening is that the roll back actually leaves a part upgrade in place and does not return the previously working environment back into its original state.

What really annoys me is the fact that installation fails because access to a webs site due to time latency issues and after this installation upgrades simply fail. As I type this I suffered this exact problem as I an reinstalling from scratch FTB Beyond and suffered a network disconnect. Install can't access some web component and the dull programmer assumes that everything stuffed because some was too lazy to check if the network was actually working and simply pausing the install until the problem is resolved.

These installs download the mod pack file from scratch every time they are run simply because the upgrade roll back deletes the down load file. 100 mb may not be much but do it 20 times and it becomes GB without much effort and on a cost basis I am sick of upgrades that work this way. Microfo$$il do the same thing and I wonder if the disconnects I suffer are not directly caused simply to make various telco profits higher.

A

Ashcroft6019

Back again, After 2 further network disconnects i think that I have finally reinstalled the FTB Beyond mod pack via Twitch install, and it looks like it is working by actually doing the initialisation load process for the mod. Previously this the play start would not even get this far. It would helpful if there was a mod pack installation repair feature under twitch, and a texture pack locator that works for the items used in various mod packs.

The install now works but the previous worlds have been bit bucketed.... Thanks for installation upgrade that worked so well...

A

Ashcroft6019

my "game cash on start" is now resolved.

Process experienced and recovery
1. Install upgrade fails (due network disconnection or failure to access mod web point).
2. After re-install retry (many times). pack finally fully installs.
3. try to play ==> game immediately fails to start (and some times mine craft launcher does not activate)
4. I delete the mod pack including all backups of the mod pack (purge the mod pack, loose worlds unless side wise copied)
5. Install mod pack (usually after many install attempts)
6. try to play game and is usually works. if not
7. if game fails to start go back to 4 and repeat.
8. if game still fails to start remove all mod packs, twitch, and delete the curse install directory entirely.
9 reinstall everything again, and it can take more than 24 hours to effect a successful install.

NO MODIFICATIONS have ever been applied to the minecraft suite of programs, twitch or mod packs.

Multiple reboots of machine required, and during this times windoze updates for windows 10 have been applied multiple times... these unstoppable updates definitely interfere with the mod pack installs using twitch.

In my professional opinion after 30 years as a IT programmer, designer and analyst is that a much more robust installation process is required that does not roll back the patch in the current manner. a better solution is to apply the update to a new profile and allow the update to complete in that profile by making the update process to detect the install fail and restart the install process and reapply the missing elements of the mod pack. I have experienced dual element installs when updates have failed and this directly caused by the update process not actually checking what is installed and making the correct installation decision, which may require replacing the elements already installed. There should be no need to re-download the mod pack file, and I do not understand why it is necessary to visit source points for every mod on the web when they are already in the mod pack that is down loaded.

Having wasted days resolving these installation problems I am less than impressed with the poor installation design and wonder if there is the attitude "that it is better to drink soft drinks through a straw stuffed up a nostril rather than through the mouth" in the mind of some software designer...

A

Ashcroft6019

The only solution I have found to work is to remove the twitch profile for the mod pack along with all backups for the mod pack.

Even then there are still problems and in the drastic solution I have had to eliminate twitch, minecraft and all associated data directories entirely and re-install everything from scratch.

I have not made any changes of any kind to twitch, minecraft or associate mod packs.

My problems occur due to network disconnections and latency time outs for mod pack source websites and the really stupid assumption (Ass-u-me) that the update has or is failing and a failed roll back of the install.

I think that the install process should apply to a new profile by default and if the install fails it should restart and re-apply components or refresh them on a re-start of the install. I have had occasions where the install of 172 mods of 172 works only to fail at the last step, suffer install rollback, then retry to install the upgrades over 20 times only to have to take drastic de installation to resolve the problem entirely.

After wasting days with these installation problems and having to by even more GB network access credit am beyond the point of being annoyed...

There is a need for those who develop the deployment packs to re-think and fix the install process so that a network disconnection does not result in a entirely stuffed up upgrade install, which is what I suffer every time I upgrade a FTB mod pack using twitch.