FTB Beta Pack A: Will it be Updating to 1.4.6 with its Current Settings?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ff255away

Jul 29, 2019
I'm looking at gregtech, mainly. Not because I want it removed- quite the opposite. I'm running a private server for family, and I'm aiming to keep gregtech as involved as it currently is. We've built a lightning rod, are processing ores through the centrifuge en mass and and are in the prep phase to build a fusion generator.

But, we're holding off on a lot of plans waiting for rp2 and tc3 to be added. We'd happily switch to mindcrack if it included mystcraft, but it doesn't. And Direwolf20's pack simply isn't hardcore enough for us.

So, question in title. Will the config files remain the same despite the complaints?

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's been stated (whether officially or not, I'm unsure) that the beta pack is not going to be updated, but the Ultimate pack will have have everything including Gregtech with the hard recipies disabled by default. They will just need switching back on in the configs.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
I think things will change, but apparently they're also working on converters. As for GregTech, I think in the "ultimate" pack (which I understand will be the successor of the Beta pack A) will either be off by default, or in "easy" mode as it is right now in the Beta pack by default.

Either way, I would wait for the ultimate pack if you want to stay close to the old Beta pack A, or go with Mindcrack when mystcraft is added (which I think will happen sooner or later, hopefully sooner :p). Afaik the only things you lose in Mindcrack are mystcraft and the portal mod.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
GregTech's config file has been changed significantly, so you're either going to want to use the Mindcrack configs for it (they have the settings maxed in Greg's favor), or you're going to have to set all the configs yourself. From what I've been able to piece together, it seems to be the only pack with GregTech AND its recipes enabled.

ff255away

Jul 29, 2019
Well thats immensely disappointing. I was favoring Feed the Beast because everything was supposed to update smoothly... this is just obnoxious.

Reactions: Vilmos

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
The pack you were using was a BETA pack, which means not everything had been figured out yet. It did not have the standardised configs, and was never intended to be a pack that was continuously developed. Once you have chosen a pack, it should be very easy to update

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
No matter what mod pack you use these types of issues will happen a lot especially for major minecraft updates. As mods are always being updated and reworked by their authors to add new features or even to fully revamp them in ways that can break backwards compatibility. Which is why it is never a good idea to get too attached to your world as you never know when it will need to replaced by a new one.

Vilmos

Jul 29, 2019
The pack you were using was a BETA pack, which means not everything had been figured out yet. It did not have the standardised configs, and was never intended to be a pack that was continuously developed. Once you have chosen a pack, it should be very easy to update

That is nonesense. If you are going to standardize your configs, and you already have a pack released then why would you not USE those configs and standardize around them! Too many people found out the beta pack was going to be abandoned after putting a lot of time into it.

Beta does not equate with abandoned, why would anyone assume it does?

Reactions: TheLoneWolfling

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
I think things will change, but apparently they're also working on converters. As for GregTech, I think in the "ultimate" pack (which I understand will be the successor of the Beta pack A) will either be off by default, or in "easy" mode as it is right now in the Beta pack by default.

Either way, I would wait for the ultimate pack if you want to stay close to the old Beta pack A, or go with Mindcrack when mystcraft is added (which I think will happen sooner or later, hopefully sooner :p). Afaik the only things you lose in Mindcrack are mystcraft and the portal mod.

The Beta A Pack is already using MOST of the ID'S we use now with the Magic World pack, mindcrack pack and DW20 pack. So if you update to any of those you might not notice any difference. The only problem is, that each pack has somewhat different mods included.

Atm if you want to update from Beta A i recomment the mindcrack pack as it is 98% identical (both mods and IDs)

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
That is nonesense. If you are going to standardize your configs, and you already have a pack released then why would you not USE those configs and standardize around them! Too many people found out the beta pack was going to be abandoned after putting a lot of time into it.

Beta does not equate with abandoned, why would anyone assume it does?

The FTB team have put a lot of work into this, probably more than you have done in your world. No one is stopping you from changing the Mindcrack or whatever other pack configs yourself. Also, beta is beta, it means its not done and expect to lose anything at any time. I never actually said that your world won't work anyway. It may do. But the OP was asking if Beta Pack A is being ported, which it is not, because it was always just going to be a temporary pack.

But, as SilvasRuin points out, you should just calm down and wait for all the packs to come out and have a look at conversion tools.

Darkstreaker

Jul 29, 2019
The Beta A Pack is already using MOST of the ID'S we use now with the Magic World pack, mindcrack pack and DW20 pack. So if you update to any of those you might not notice any difference. The only problem is, that each pack has somewhat different mods included.

Atm if you want to update from Beta A i recomment the mindcrack pack as it is 98% identical (both mods and IDs)
So if I wanted to port my Beta world to a different pack, I just have to install mystcraft and copy and paste the world folder into the mindcrack instance right?