Frustration in RF Transmission

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

singapore123

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, so the transmission of power is kinda frustrating. I am currently using Actually Additions Energy Lasers in conjunction with EnderIO conduits. The problem with them is that the AA lasers have power loss while the conduits have an energy buffer. If you have a simple system where:

[capacitor] [laser] - - - - - [laser] [one energy conduit]

The capacitor will transfer the energy to the conduit with a slight power loss, and the energy conduit will transfer the power back to the capacitor and again, with power loss. Rinse and repeat till zero power in capacitor. Furthermore, the lasers seem to be quite finicky. It's possible for me to connect two lasers together and have a capacitor bank completely drain, or have another machine (usually my Refined Storage core, making it worse) lose all power.

This is an issue as my power generation room is a bit further away from my main base. Although I can create the conduits needed to directly wire the base and the power generator, I'd prefer to wirelessly transmit the power. I could also change the settings of the energy conduit, allowing only one way transmission of power (extract/insert), which I have done for certain cables to maintain a somewhat stable transmission of power in my base. I might have to stop using the lasers if it starts to get worse.

So, I was wondering if there was any other way to fix this problem, or another means of wirelessly transmitting power (I believe ExtraUtils2 has one, but I'm not too sure) other than EnderIO transceivers as I am not at that point of the game yet. Sorry for the lack of pictures, I won't be having access to my Minecraft for another day so... If pictures are needed I'll get some once I get back. Thanks in advance!

Netherus

Jul 29, 2019
You could disable the power loss of the AA lasers in the config

@line 431 # If Energy Laser Relays should have energy loss
B:"Laser Relay Energy Loss"=true

I haven't played a lot in the 1.10 packs so other then the Dimensional transceivers i don't think there is anything else that can transmit power wireless.
You could however use enderchests and fill up batteries/capacitors and automate the refilling. Would be a fun build :)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Option A) Set your transmitting capacitor to output only. The power can no longer bounce back.
Option B) For the same distance you can use Immersive Engineering wires, which reach 16 blocks (same as the lasers) and only consume a single wire between those connection points. You have to go from connector to Relay and then back to connectors if you're going more than 16 blocks.
Option C) I believe Railcraft's RF carts are in the 1.10.2 version, which can transfer chunks of 2 million RF at a time. The loader/unloader buffer up to 4 million each, so...

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Didn't see what pack you were running, but Mekanism has Quantum Entangloporters (or whatever they called them) which are very similar to Tesseract of old.

AA RF and Liquid Lasers are not exactly as initiative as I had expected them to be. I'll be playing around with them more to see if it's user derp or system design.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I don't like the AA lasers because the power ones have a loss, and I'm not sure about the Liquid ones. It's got some good features, but those aren't among them.

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia
Extra Utils does have wireless energy. The related items are 'Wireless RF Battery', 'Wireless RF transmitter' and generators. Though to start doing anything in this mod, one will have to produce 'Grid power' first. I'm not sure what is the mod creator's purpose of creating 'Grid power' system, though.

Reactions: singapore123

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Balance, naturally. Some stuff was firmly over-powered without any sort of balance mechanic. As they go though, Grid power is one of the better ones.

singapore123

Jul 29, 2019

I haven't played a lot in the 1.10 packs so other then the Dimensional transceivers i don't think there is anything else that can transmit power wireless.
You could however use enderchests and fill up batteries/capacitors and automate the refilling. Would be a fun build :)

Well, that does help, thanks!

Option A) Set your transmitting capacitor to output only. The power can no longer bounce back.
Option B) For the same distance you can use Immersive Engineering wires, which reach 16 blocks (same as the lasers) and only consume a single wire between those connection points. You have to go from connector to Relay and then back to connectors if you're going more than 16 blocks.
Option C) I believe Railcraft's RF carts are in the 1.10.2 version, which can transfer chunks of 2 million RF at a time. The loader/unloader buffer up to 4 million each, so...

I have yet to go into Immersive Engineering even after I watched a mod spotlight, will try IE soon.

Didn't see what pack you were running, but Mekanism has Quantum Entangloporters (or whatever they called them) which are very similar to Tesseract of old.

AA RF and Liquid Lasers are not exactly as initiative as I had expected them to be. I'll be playing around with them more to see if it's user derp or system design.

Unfortunately, I am using the Direwolf20 modpack which does not contain Mekanism. Thanks though!

I don't like the AA lasers because the power ones have a loss, and I'm not sure about the Liquid ones. It's got some good features, but those aren't among them.

Power loss does make sense though, it is wireless after all.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
If like IC2, it was the only option for transmission, sure. But since other options are around, including IE, I fail to see why I'd use one that loses a chunk of my power over one that loses none.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Even if the lossy power option could generate more power, like megawatts as opposed to a lossless source that at maximum could generate the awesome glory of a fully charged 9v battery? :D

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
The somewhat cheaper solution I used (still using) for longer distances before the dimensional transceivers, are the Enervator and Energizer blocks from Actually Additions combined with ender chests. The Energizer pulls out fully discharged Single Battery (cheapest tier, but 1M RF capacity) from an ender chest, charges it and puts it back in the chest. I then use multiple Enervators to pull out the charged batteries when needed and putting back discharged ones. Both blocks are automation friendly, i.e. batteries only go to the output slot when fully charged/discharged, and seem fairly quick.

The only issue I encountered was that all the Single Batteries seem to be unique, in the sense that their NBT data somehow differs even though they appear identical. This meant that I had to add each battery in use (fully charged) to an Ender IO advanced item filter black list at the Energizer to prevent item loops.

Softwerker

Jan 24, 2017
My favourite wireless Energy system are actually the Powercells from RFTools. Give them all the same channel and they rock. Unlimited input, output depends on CellType and Infusion rate. Especially the first tier is really cheap and delivers a good amount of power for most machines.

I really do not like the lasers, since they take the loss at the receiving end. E.g. - a machine needs 1kRF/t - the Laser takes 1kRF/t but only delivers 950 RF/t - I would rather have it to deliver 1k and take 1.050 RF from the storage.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013

Rftools does I think. I got something on my world that does it. I'll post a pic when I get home.