Frozen in “prepare installation”

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

Jstarks

May 14, 2022
It freezes every time I try and download FTB direwolf20 1.18 it gets stuck. It would not let me launch any other packs I had downloaded either. Anyone have a way to help?
E42C6ABB-E8AB-4504-B87C-2FC4280F3927.jpeg

LMunoz

May 15, 2022
Try going to to the magnify glass(Browse) and install from there. For me it would not work if you do it from the home.

Dynpro

May 20, 2022
I've got the same issue on a Linux machine, so glad to know it's not an OS based thing.
Can you find where your logs folder is for FTB and check `latest.log`?
Mine always stops with the last log showing:

```
[19:50:31] [ForkJoinPool.commonPool-worker-3/INFO] [net.creeperhost.creeperlauncher.install.tasks.modloader.forge.ForgeV2InstallTask]: Starting processor with command '/home/dynpro/.ftba/bin/runtime/jdk-17.0.2+8-jre/bin/java -cp /home/dynpro/.ftba/bin/libraries/net/minecraftforge/jarsplitter/1.1.4/jarsplitter-1.1.4.jar:/home/dynpro/.ftba/bin/libraries/net/sf/jopt-simple/jopt-simple/5.0.4/jopt-simple-5.0.4.jar:/home/dynpro/.ftba/bin/libraries/net/minecraftforge/srgutils/0.4.3/srgutils-0.4.3.jar:/home/dynpro/.ftba/bin/libraries/net/minecraftforge/forge/1.18.2-40.1.20/forge-1.18.2-40.1.20-installer.jar net.minecraftforge.jarsplitter.ConsoleTool /home/dynpro/.ftba/bin/libraries/net/minecraftforge/jarsplitter/1.1.4/jarsplitter-1.1.4.jar --input /home/dynpro/.ftba/bin/versions/1.18.2/1.18.2.jar --slim /home/dynpro/.ftba/bin/libraries/net/minecraft/client/1.18.2-20220404.173914/client-1.18.2-20220404.173914-slim.jar --extra /home/dynpro/.ftba/bin/libraries/net/minecraft/client/1.18.2-20220404.173914/client-1.18.2-20220404.173914-extra.jar --srg /home/dynpro/.ftba/bin/libraries/de/oceanlabs/mcp/mcp_config/1.18.2-20220404.173914/mcp_config-1.18.2-20220404.173914-mappings-merged.txt'
```

If your log ends the same, then that could be indicative of the issue. My log was found in `/home/dynpro/.ftba/logs/latest.log` - not sure where it will be on Mac.

I can confirm other modpacks were working fine.

=== [EDIT] ===
I am running app version: 202205171618-14abefffbf-release which I recently upgraded to, to see if it fixed the bug on an older version, which it did not.
Enabling debug messages in the logs shows no extra info of use that can help me determine the cause.

Last edited:

Dynpro

May 20, 2022
Doing some further digging, I tried to install FTB Oceanblock, which for me observed similar behavior, getting stuck during "Prepare Installation", but in a different task. Closing the app and restarting the download moved past this issue for FTB Oceanblock, and successfully downloaded the pack.
However, doing the same for DW20 1.18 does not work - always getting stuck at the same stage.
Leaving the task for hours still does not progress.

Chronologist89

May 27, 2022
Hey all! I am having the same issue and would love to get it resolved. I run a super clean Arch Linux installation, only window manager and Java installed. The error occurs the same whether I install the FTB App from this website or use a packaged version from the Arch AUR. When I run it in the terminal I can see it downloading the client and then three steps after, while doing some setting up things just hang up. Since I got only the absolute bare minimum to even run any program and no other programs there should be no interference from conflicting installations of version problems. Let me know how I can give more input to help solve the issue!

Greets and have a wonderful day to all of you!

Dynpro

May 20, 2022
Hey @Chronologist89, can you confirm the version of Java you have installed and the log the installer hangs on? I want to see if it's the same as mine.

Chronologist89

May 27, 2022
Hey, thanks for you fast reply. I have the latest JRE 17.0.3 installed and set as system default. I tried also changing to Java 8 or Java 11 and it does not seem to have any effect. Attached is the log file of a typical crash and I consistently observe the app freezing at the exact same last step. I have tried different modpacks, fresh installs, many different possibilities and none seem to have any influence on the problem.

Greets!

Attachments

• latest.txt
    16.9 KB · Views: 126

Dynpro

May 20, 2022
Hey, thanks for you fast reply. I have the latest JRE 17.0.3 installed and set as system default. I tried also changing to Java 8 or Java 11 and it does not seem to have any effect. Attached is the log file of a typical crash and I consistently observe the app freezing at the exact same last step. I have tried different modpacks, fresh installs, many different possibilities and none seem to have any influence on the problem.

Greets!
Hey, thanks for providing the log! All of us here are facing the issue on Unix-like machines. To verify if it was just a Unix issue, I spun up a Windows machine and the Direwolf pack does indeed install perfectly fine using the Windows installer.

With that in mind, we are both using OpenJDK rather than 'typical' Java, so I wonder if it is that. Likewise, we both hang at the same stage that uses the JDK to extract the 'mappings-merged' file. This is odd, because packs other than Direwolf20's 1.18 pack installs fine... Any ideas?

Chronologist89

May 27, 2022
I feel like, we need someone who is actually able to tap into the process, by either tracing the Java calls or actually debugging the FTB App. The logging does not provide sufficient detail to figure out where to look for a problem and it does not even give a proper error. I made my system intentionally as minimal as possible to reduce the number of possible error sources and still have no idea where to look. Even if there was more info in the log, it's not like we could actually make any adjustments in the launcher or provide some special Java arguments. I am mostly hoping someone with more options reads this and is willing to invest the time to take a look at it!

Greets.

Reactions: Dynpro

Dynpro

May 20, 2022
Updated the FTBApp to version 1.3.0 (202206081143-2e021f8e74-release) and the pack downloads and installs fine for me now. However, launching the DW pack then gets stuck at the 'Processing work OBJECT_HOLDERS' stage when starting. I'd be curious to see if the same previously affected now face this issue also.

Dynpro

May 20, 2022
Not a fix but a workaround: try another launcher than FTBApp to play the modpack. I'm now using GDLauncher to play modpacks and Direwolf works perfectly fine on the same setup. This at least narrows it down to be the FTBApp's handling of UNIX based installations, rather than the modpack itself.