Fresh Infinity 1.11.2 Install on Ubuntu dual 2.26xeon 64GB Ram Server Lag (running behind)

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

The Lost

Jul 29, 2019
Title:
Fresh Infinity 1.11.2 Install on Ubuntu dual 2.26xeon 64GB Ram Server Lag (running behind)
Launcher Version:
FTBInfinity-1.11.2-1.7.10Server (1448)
Modpack:
FTB Infinity
Modpack Version:
1.11.2 (1448)
Log Link:
Details of the issue:
Issue: Server constantly complains it is falling behind. Server does not settle down from this behavior after any period of time. Server population is never above 6 people all working out of the same area, no complex machines, blocks or mods are used on the map as of yet. A fresh map was attempted to still no positive result. Navigating the world, server will complain approximately every 20 - 30 seconds that it is falling behind, even with only 1 player on the server.

Upon starting minecraft server all appears to load fine. Upon entering the world a bit of lag occurs as expected for the load. However allowing this to settle and allow all region chunks to load in does not alleviate the issue.

Fresh install of FTB Infinity on fresh install of ubuntu server 14.04.3 LTS. Server performs as expected and system is tested as working as intended. Java installed (both 1.7.0 and 1.8.0) however issue shows on both versions. Tried a variety of java arguments to little-to-no improvement. Details of java arguments are as below.

#nice -n -4 screen -dmS "dw20 1.7.10 1.3.1 The Void" java -server -d64 -jar -Xms6G -Xmx6G -XX:permSize=256m FTBServer-1.7.10-1291.jar nogui

#nice -n -4 screen -dmS "dw20 1.7.10 1.3.1 The Void" java -server -d64 -jar -Xms6G -Xmx6G -XX:parallelGCThreads=8 -XX:permSize=256m FTBServer-1.7.10-1448.jar nogui

#nice -n -4 screen -dmS "dw20 1.7.10 1.7.0 The Void" java -server -d64 -jar -Xms6G -Xmx6G -XX:parallelGCThreads=8 -XX:permSize=256m FTBServer-1.7.10-1448.jar nogui

#nice -n -4 screen -dmS "dw20 1.7.10 1.7.0 The Void" java -server -Xms4G -Xmx6G -XX:permSize=256m -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -jar FTBServer-1.7.10-1448.jar nogui

#nice -n -4 screen -dmS "dw20 1.7.10 1.3.1 The Void" java -server -d64 -jar -Xms6G -Xmx6G -XX:parallelGCThreads=8 -XX:permSize=256m -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC FTBServer-1.7.10-1448.jar nogui

#nice -n -4 screen -dmS "dw20 1.7.10 1.3.1 The Void" java -server -d64 -jar -Xms6G -Xmx6G -Xincgc -XX:parallelGCThreads=8 -XX:permSize=256m -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC FTBServer-1.7.10-1448.jar nogui

nice -n -4 screen -dmS "dw20 1.7.10 1.7.0 The Void" java -server -jar FTBServer-1.7.10-1448.jar nogui

Logs are available upon request however this is basically a completely fresh install and the logs to me don't appear to indicate any thing specific.

A /tps command shows under non-lagging circumstance averages of 20-21. When issue occurs, tps shows as low as 1.5.

Thoughts on how to diagnose and or improve the situation are welcomed. Sorry if I've left anything out.

The Lost

Jul 29, 2019
Upon further testing I wasn't able to locate any specific reason for this, however I did some additional reading and found that my CPU may be a bit low. Would anyone care to comment on this? Xeon's are typcially lower in MHZ as a pose to their mainstream counterparts because of their advanced instruction sets and shorter pathways. If there was any indication of an acceptable system spec or atleast some recommendations I'd love to see them.

Furthermore do I have unrealistic expectations that modpacks of this size should perform without consistent falling behind complaints from the console? I'm consistently seeing 3-5 second reports on falling behind with the occasional 20+ second fall behind. Once again this occurs twice a minute with only 1 person on and on a fresh map as the player navigates around the map. I realize there is additional strain on a server that is generating chunks for the first time, Is this all I'm seeing and nothing more? We began this line of testing however after getting timeouts consistently on a map where we had started to put down foundations and some advanced machinery.

Thanks for any advice you can give.