Frankly, why no 1.6?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019
The only counterargument that has come up until recently is that they need to refine the modpacks before distributing to a wide audience.

I have several problems with that:

1. NOT EVEN ONE modpack by FTB was ever stable, not totally bug-ridden and/or server/user friendly at all. The nature of minecraft modding forbids that and it was never achieved to begin with.

2. Waiting for single mods when there is tons more around is just extremly dumb, if you gonna continue that you customarily force people to stay at a lower version (server owners and admins most particular) and do no good at all.

So in synopsis:
Why don't you guys throw together a pack of decent 1.6 mods (can't be worse then unleashed by any means regarding lags/crashes/dupe bugs/map corruption/etc. It literally CANNOT BE WORSE)?

MaGriffw

Jul 29, 2019
If I've read correctly, it's because the actual FTB installer being tweaked is what we're waiting on. Not to crash the mental rant (I'm guilty of this myself behind the screen) but you could do like I've done and slap your favorite mods together on your own. The advantage of the installer is that ID conflicts gets solved easier, and most of the trouble shooting we'd do otherwise is taken care of in the initial install. Plus it adds things like customizing the RAM used, setting up separate .exe jar's of minecraft versions, and makes installing/disabling mods a breeze.
I don't have any official knowledge, but from all I've gathered, both from other posts, as well as ones where I've asked, it's just tweaking things so that the majority of users of FTB get what they wanted. Of course, I might be off my tree, and completely insane, but I believe this is what we're all waiting on. :D

Sincerely,
Griff ^..^/

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019
I could, can and have made modpacks for 1.6 myself, the problem is the players are usually way less smart and do not even comprehend setting up a pack with a launcher, usually. Most of them at least.
Its just a PITA for Server owners.

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
I could, can and have made modpacks for 1.6 myself, the problem is the players are usually way less smart and do not even comprehend setting up a pack with a launcher, usually. Most of them at least.
Wow. In this case, why not make your own launcher? They want to make sure the packs and the launcher are tested enough for us to have, and really, if the stuff now is "bug ridden, with dupes, glitches" and whatever else, I'm beginning to wonder why they even should release anything if all people are going to do is complain anyway. Go to another launcher or make your own pack, or wait.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
The only counterargument that has come up until recently is that they need to refine the modpacks before distributing to a wide audience.

Then you can't read or are not trying to. Until extremely recently(Last 48 hours) the current launcher we have could not launch 1.6. Thanks to LexManos they have a fix for it that will allow them to run 1.6 packs on the launcher. They have had packs that are in pre-alpha and alpha. They're being worked on quite rigorously but this is not these people's lively hoods.

I have several problems with that:

1. NOT EVEN ONE modpack by FTB was ever stable, not totally bug-ridden and/or server/user friendly at all. The nature of minecraft modding forbids that and it was never achieved to begin with.

2. Waiting for single mods when there is tons more around is just extremly dumb, if you gonna continue that you customarily force people to stay at a lower version (server owners and admins most particular) and do no good at all

1. FTB does not and cannot control bugs within mods but try their best to solve cross mod exploits as best they can. Not to mention every pack I've played thus far has been more user friendly than any other launcher I've used save for the ATLauncher which is only slightly better after being updated quite a bit.

2. No one is waiting for single mods. To assume they are; well you know what they say about assuming.

Then what exactly did server owners do prior to the FTB launcher; oh right, used a different one. If you're that eager for 1.6 there are plenty of ways to get it and easily for servers.

So in synopsis:
Why don't you guys throw together a pack of decent 1.6 mods (can't be worse then unleashed by any means regarding lags/crashes/dupe bugs/map corruption/etc. It literally CANNOT BE WORSE)?

So in synopsis:
Why are you still here? There are other launchers that have and support 1.6 packs quite well. For FTB it's not just upgrading to 1.6 it is a very large overhaul of just about everything.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I bet the Modpack team and testers loves hearing "feedback" like this when they have been hard at work for a long time trying to get you a good product :/

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
Hoff gave a good response. However, threads and posts such as these are a good example of the results of poor communication and even worse dissemination of information by the FTB staff to the general public.

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019
Judging by the amount of exploits, bugs, crashes and other stuff that are preventable by config changes but were left in to be turned on by default in previous packs (hello, unleashed), you either have no beta testers or you fail pretty miserably at what you do in this regard.

Necr0maNceR

Jul 29, 2019
Then you can't read or are not trying to. Until extremely recently(Last 48 hours) the current launcher we have could not launch 1.6. Thanks to LexManos they have a fix for it that will allow them to run 1.6 packs on the launcher. They have had packs that are in pre-alpha and alpha. They're being worked on quite rigorously but this is not these people's lively hoods.
So wait, does this mean they will be able to release the new packs before the new launcher is done? Or are they going to wait until the new launcher is done before releasing them, even if they are ready early?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Judging by the amount of exploits, bugs, crashes and other stuff that are preventable by config changes but were left in to be turned on by default in previous packs (hello, unleashed), you either have no beta testers or you fail pretty miserably at what you do in this regard.

Do you realize the sheer number of people that play FTB? The hours of iterations they perform to try and fix packs to their best ability is passed in a day with the combined number of people playing. The FTB team is not perfect and believe me; if they just threw the mods together and made it so the game started you would rather kill yourself than try and fix it yourself. Not to mention the definition of exploit is fairly loose and is generally on a by-case basis(Force Wrench type stuff) which at that point couldn't have been changed anyway. It is also not the FTB teams call to remove/disable items if it's possible to dupe with them as it would be stupid for them to tell you how to play when many people play on whitelisted servers where people simply agree not to exploit those types of things. Many of the crashes were due to 3rd party outside changes(MCPC+ and the like) and are not supported by FTB.

Please do though elaborate on the bugs you seem to see so many of that could have been fixed via configuration.[DOUBLEPOST=1386456295][/DOUBLEPOST]
So wait, does this mean they will be able to release the new packs before the new launcher is done? Or are they going to wait until the new launcher is done before releasing them, even if they are ready early?

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with the FTB team and cannot speak on their behalf.

It seems they want to be able to release 1.6 packs on the current launcher as a sort of intermediary step so that those that do want to play the 1.6 packs will be able to. This will allow them far more time to overhaul everything they want to and take off a lot of pressure on them.

Reactions: Necr0maNceR

Necr0maNceR

Jul 29, 2019
Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with the FTB team and cannot speak on their behalf.

It seems they want to be able to release 1.6 packs on the current launcher as a sort of intermediary step so that those that do want to play the 1.6 packs will be able to. This will allow them far more time to overhaul everything they want to and take off a lot of pressure on them.
Really? That's awesome! The wait won't be too much longer then I hope. They're totally right too. People wouldn't of stopped bugging them until the launcher was done, and in addition to the annoyance that would have caused them, more and more players would have gone to use other launchers and modpacks. This way the stress is gone, and the FTB user base will start growing again! This is possibly the best news I've gotten all day.

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019
Please do though elaborate on the bugs you seem to see so many of that could have been fixed via configuration.

Just a glimpse of what im talking about:

1. The Exp dupe bug serverside (changing dimensions) ---> disable keeplevels in tconstruct config
2. The turtles bug (everyone knows they are broken beyond repair in 1.5.2 at an administrative level) ---> disable mod by default
3. Computercraft dumps from outside sources (can be used to corrupt maps in ~10 min) ---> disable by default

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012

1. The Exp dupe bug serverside (changing dimensions) ---> disable keeplevels in tconstruct config
2. The turtles bug (everyone knows they are broken beyond repair in 1.5.2 at an administrative level) ---> disable mod by default
3. Computercraft dumps from outside sources (can be used to corrupt maps in ~10 min) ---> disable by default

Alright so the only one that seems legitimate is the first. Servers can choose to disable CC and clients won't have to do anything to be able to still join the server. Not to mention I'm not even sure what you're referring to with the second one other than them being able to go around Bukkit/MCPC+ plugins which again are not supported.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019

Could you expand on the turtles issue? I'm running a 152 server, should I axe computercraft?

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019

I use turtles in almost every build I do and they work flawlessly. The only bugs with turtles are the ones you make when writing code on them.

Also regarding this topic... Relevant Link

Reactions: SatanicSanta

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure there's plenty of legitimate points one can make regarding the lack of 1.6 FTB packs. But regardless of why, it doesn't appear that Slow or the other FTB staff are particularly proud of or happy about how long it's taken them to reach this milestone. Perhaps it was all merely an unfortunate confluence of events. I don't think anyone expected it really, such as Direwolf20, who probably would have just gone with a 1.5 series in the meantime. But you know what they say, hindsight is always 20/20. I'm sure there's lessons to take away from the whole thing, which is always worth something eventually.