FPS Spikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeltingCake

Jul 29, 2019
So, I've been playing FTB / Minecraft mods with a friend of mine for a long time. He's always been host as he has the better computer (Intel i7 960, 12GB RAM some 2x overkill GPU) and we've never had any lag issues, if anything it'd be the FPS lag on my end.

We ran FTB Ultimate fine albeit for a short period of time. However playing FTB Unleashed when hosting, and running his client he gets fairly bad FPS spikes. Like the game freezes every few seconds. We've tried allocating more RAM to the client ( like 3GB ) and it's no use. The FPS counter is stable and displays like 60+ fps but the spikes are apparently noticeable on the graph in the bottom right when you shift-f3. Optifine 1.5.2 is installed.

EDIT:
Found a solution!

I don't know how programs usually behave but it seems both the server and the client were running on the same CPU core. I have no clue how it decides it and whatnot, but I just used windows task manager and shifted the server off to it's own core that wasn't the first one, which I think the client defaulted to (or maybe the first 2?) and all the stutters were gone.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Please do this on both computers:
Please read below. Please be sure to read all of the info available in the 2 articles.
Please follow these steps exactly: http://desk.feed-the-beast.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/9/0/basic-troubleshooting
This is to rule out any issues with your setup. Please also read the extra info at the bottom of the guide, and apply all applicable suggestions.

Please post your complete client-side (launcher) console log in debug-mode to pastebin.com and link your paste URL here.
To find your logs and prevent them from expiring: http://desk.feed-the-beast.com/inde...29/1/what-log-do-you-need-where-can-i-find-it
Also provide the console log for both as well :)

I want to ensure everything is set up properly, then we can get on to increasing the FPS with other tricks ;)

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds almost as the same issue i encounter

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Tiwuno

Jul 29, 2019
I am having this problem as well. Ultimate runs at about 110 FPS, but on Unleashed I am experiencing FPS "freezing" which gets even worse at night.

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
I don't have optifine installed, and I don't get fps issues unless I go into the twilight forest.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
All of these "me too" posts, without a log or information about your computer are not helpful, or providing constructive information about the problem.

Tiwuno

Jul 29, 2019
All of these "me too" posts, without a log or information about your computer are not helpful, or providing constructive information about the problem.

That's a rather harsh response, I figured saying that the problem was worse at night was helpful information. Besides, why would you assume it has something to do with system specs when we all likely have different setups, and the only common denominator is us switching from Ultimate to Unleashed?

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
How much ram have you allocated? Those spikes might be memory dumps when your maximum allocation's reached. This usually happens if you have 1 or 2gb allocated.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
That's a rather harsh response
I believe you've misinterpreted. My statement was factual. The information isn't useful. Only you said your problem was when switching from Ultimate to Unleashed, the other 2 did not.
I cannot assume anything. You need to tell me, exactly what you're using, and provide your console log, as requested in my first response to the OP. Otherwise, I cannot make any connections, or provide any use to any of you.
why would you assume it has something to do with system specs

If you have a really crap computer, with really crap hardware, or the wrong software, then you're going to have a hard time playing.
Again, I'm not assuming anything. I'm asking for the information that is useful.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
If you have a really crap computer, with really crap hardware, or the wrong software, then you're going to have a hard time playing.

I'll vouch for this. My system is a veritable toaster that certain biomes in Biomes O' Plenty simply destroys if I encounter them in SSP, for example.

More details (logs in general, system specs when it's a performance thing, etc.) are helpful when trying to pinpoint issues because it gives us a basis from which to consider what could be going wrong. Vague responses just lead to early onset baldness for those of us who respond to this stuff. =)

Reactions: Ashzification

Tiwuno

Jul 29, 2019
How much ram have you allocated? Those spikes might be memory dumps when your maximum allocation's reached. This usually happens if you have 1 or 2gb allocated.

Like MeltingCake, I too have allocated 3gb.

I'll vouch for this. My system is a veritable toaster that certain biomes in Biomes O' Plenty simply destroys if I encounter them in SSP, for example.

I really hope it's not BoP, I've been growing tired of EBXL and was hoping for a change.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Be careful with RAM settings on clients though. Too much is even worse as java tends to shove things into the page file then. I have been runnng modded clients with just 512MB of RAM just fine as long as used in SMP. If playing SSP i wouldn't recommend more than 2-3GB unless you really know what you are doing.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
My initial response still stands for all other posts regarding lag on this thread.
By completing it, and providing the requested log, you save us all a lot of hassle.

Tiwuno

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Ash! Sorry about the delayed response, I messed around with some OptiFine settings myself and the lag is better but not resolved. Anyways, as asked, here is the link to my console debug. I did notice a few "java.lang.NullPointerException" (probably not the issue, but maybe still worth looking into?) as well as quite a lot of "Memory connection overburdened". Since the latter seemed to be the more likely culprit, I did a little digging on the interwebs and found that 1.5.x might have introduced a memory leak, which would explain why people are having issues with Unleashed and not Ultimate. Of course, if you have any thoughts/insights/suggestions, I'd love to hear it.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Lines 1645-1661:
Disable Voxel Mods, load the modpack, check for lag.

Also, is there any other program in your Games folder on the desktop?

Denster91

Jul 29, 2019
I was having the same issue on the Unleashed pack, and I decided to try disabling Optifine. It appears to work, and I now get no lag spikes, at the cost of slightly lower FPS (though it doesn't matter for me, I still get 100+).

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
I was having the same issue on the Unleashed pack, and I decided to try disabling Optifine. It appears to work, and I now get no lag spikes, at the cost of slightly lower FPS (though it doesn't matter for me, I still get 100+).

Lol 100+ is the result of fps reduced by not using optifine. I wonder how much fps by using optifine :p

Status
Not open for further replies.