FPS issues with Minecraft in general when Windowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDaveNz

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys.

This isnt as much of a bug/error as a question for those more knowledgeable than myself. Also It isnt FTB specific. It's Minecraft in general.

So recently I have noticed massive FPS drops not just in FTB but in minecraft 1.4.7 aswell, only when windowed. I use a dual screen setup and need to be able to access the second screen (so playing fullscreen isnt practical) I was wondering if anyone had any tips to increase windowed FPS other then the obvious.

I used to get 300+ fps on a new map FTB or Minecraft in 1.2.5 Windowed. Now i get 10. As always i play on max settings with a 128x texture pack.
When Fullscreen i get 90-200fps.

Ive been monitoring my CPU and GPU and It appears my GPU gets maxxed out. My CPU is always like 20-40%. When windowed i have ~96% usage of my GPU and when fullscreen its only ~70%.

When i first got my PC i was able to run ~100 mods + x512 texture packs + Sonic Ethers Unbelievable Shaders at Extreme Render distance with 30-40fps... Im wondering whether anyone else is getting these FPS issues or else if my graphics card is somehow failing.

The Console is outputting that the lag while windowed is affecting:

-root.tick.textures
-root.tick
-root

Which if i remember right is just general minecraft rendering/tick.

Things i have tried:
-Disabling Aero [Little Effect]
-Changing render distance [Little Effect]
-Changing to Default Texture pack [1-2fps difference]
-Disabling all animations/fog/clouds etc. [Next to no Effect]
-Changing windowed dimensions from 1080p to 720p to 360p [Little Effect]
-Going Fullscreen [Massive Effect]
-Changing Ram [No effect changing between 1gb - 6gb]
-Having the second screen connected to Motherboard Via HD4000 graphics instead of the GPU [Little Effect]

Applications Running while Minecraft/FTB is active:
-Spotify
-OBS/Xsplit
-Occasionally Google Chrome
-Steam [Background Process]
-Curse [Background Process]

Important Specs:

Motherboard: P8Z77v-Pro
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 OC - 1250mhz (Latest Catalyst Beta Driver)
CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge I7 3770K OC - 4950mhz
PSU: Corsair HX750
RAM: 16gb DDR3
CPU Cooling: Corsair H60

Screens:
Samsung SyncMasterS23B300 24inch - 1920 x 1080
Viewsonic VA905 - 1280x1024
Mode: Extended Display

As you can tell this is a fairly top of the line PC to get bogged down as easily as it is. Im thinking of doing a full restore of my system/upgrade to Win8 to see if that helps. Otherwise any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks,
BigDaveNz

EDIT: Just a note i have tried all the latest optifine versions A2,A3 and B2

Nessiroj

Jul 29, 2019
A simple thing with all games and windowed mode. As soon as your not running fullscreen your not able to use SLI or Crossfire (so the second GPU on your graphicscard won't be used at all). Your using Xsplit to stream i reckon? When your losing your second GPU your CPU just get hammered when your streaming no matter what game (but i guess i don't have to explain that ;-))

BigDaveNz

Jul 29, 2019
It's not even when im streaming. Even when playing and not streaming i get under 30fps... way lower then i used to. And im an OBS convert :p

Nessiroj

Jul 29, 2019
Will open Xsplit tonight when i'm home from work (1900 CET) with my DW20V4 pack see what happens FPS wise between Fullscreen and Windowed.
My system is a lil sister of yours (I7 2600K / 5970HD / 8GB RAM / Corsair H100)

Nessiroj

Jul 29, 2019
Just did a quick test with and without Xsplit (with optifine everything max X64 Texturepack) connected to my server (different machine @ locallan)

Without Xsplit:
Windowed mode 55+ FPS
Fullscreen 65+ FPS

With Xsplit (not streaming just open)
Windowed mode 40 - 45 FPS
Fullscreen 50 - 55 FPS

All above without moving, just watching in the distance @ night

I must say it's about time for me to reinstall my pc, it's full of junk meanwhile just CBA to do it

BigDaveNz

Jul 29, 2019
Im doing a full system wipe tonight and I will see what improvement I get :). SInce your "lil sister" setup is getting a higher fps then mine

Status
Not open for further replies.