Forum Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Basically what I said above :)
I may add on to this list, as I think of things.

1. Posted rules in something like a Rules Board at the very top of the forums. I, personally am a big supporter of rules, since it's the only real way to attempt to control chaos
2. A standard format for tech support. (Launcher version, OS version and bit type, Java version and bit type, Anti virus programs/firewalls, log box). It makes it significantly easier to try to help people.
3. With the server support section: a format where you can input server specs, plugins, etc.
4. A standard posting format for server promotions, that way the players who are searching can easily find the information they want
5. A posted FAQ for troubleshooting. Some people just need the instructions there, and it makes it easier to try to assist people.

Edit:
6. Staff (Web devs, pack devs, forum moderation) should each get a different color from the regular user. That way we know who is online when.

Reactions: warfighter67

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
1. I'll think about that but I am not 100% sure what kind of rules we would set to be honest other than be respectful
2. I'm going to be working on support in the next few days
3. The post is up to you, personally I wouldn't like to give out my plugins to all the other servers its kinda like the "secret" of your server IMHO as for the specs servers are welcome to include whatever they see fit in the post but I personally dont care if its running on a toaster as long as its good/lag free
4. The title for the servers contains most of the info you will need about the servers but I might look into a header you have to include in the post as well with a basic summery to speed up looking for servers
5. FAQ will be part of the new support system :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Forum rules suggestions:
*Avoid low effort posting, or making it against the rules entirely. Things like "help plz it broke!" don't help the people trying to offer help.
*No image leeching, give credit where credit is due.
*Don't be a jerk
*No visible "adult" images
*No racism, sexism, etc
*No speaking of illegal activities, this includes all pirating

Dependent on staff opinions, I suggest:
*No impersonating staff (modders, forums staff, web devs)
*No pay-to-play servers, that is, if the staff believe this is an unfair feature (I think it's unfair for those who cannot afford, but it's up to you guys and gals)
*No ads, ad.fly, etc. These are annoying, and I personally can't stand them
*If bans are used, no ban evasion.
*Don't abuse the report feature.

Rules on forum posts:
*If formats are used, enforcement of the formats should be strict
Remainder depends on how the forum staff want to do things.

Rhinehart_

Jul 29, 2019
i like these rules, though i have never even heard of a pay to play server, they probably wouldnt last all that long cause we minecrafters are a pretty cheap group

Reactions: Ashzification

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Another suggestion: maybe offering a place to share map ideas, seeds, skins, etc. A nice little creative alcove for those who are so inclined :D

Rhinehart_

Jul 29, 2019
alright heres one if you hover over the name of a thread it shows you the first few words of its post, how about the same thing for the last post? it would be nice to not have to load the whole thread just to see that some one had posted "k"

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
alright heres one if you hover over the name of a thread it shows you the first few words of its post, how about the same thing for the last post? it would be nice to not have to load the whole thread just to see that some one had posted "k"
Nice but very server intensive so that going to have to be a no, sorry

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Posting suggestions: I think comments on profile pages should be allowed (if possible) to be more that 420 characters. Also, shorten the time between postings from 30 seconds to something more like 15 seconds.

Also, I highly suggest adding a forum rule: don't PM forum staff/FTB staff for help, or post on profiles. This defeats the purpose of having a tech support section. Also, I would bet it will get annoying for you guys and gals once the pack comes along more and gains more popularity.

Edit: I'm working on a FAQ for the tech support section, maybe as an add-on to the one that is already in existence.

Edit 2: Also, found a bug reporting/tech support request format I think would be most helpful:
Launcher Version:
Minecraft Version:
Java Version, Bit Type:
Operating System, Bit Type:
Anti-virus Program(s):
Firewall(s):
Description/Recreation of the problem:
Error Log/Launcher Log (Pastebin or code box):

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Posting suggestions: I think comments on profile pages should be allowed (if possible) to be more that 420 characters. Also, shorten the time between postings from 30 seconds to something more like 15 seconds.

As somebody with some experience with the product, I'll speak to the technical aspect on this: The former (140 profile post size/420 profile post comment size) limit is hardcoded into XenForo; it's possible but it could cause issues in the future depending on what future patches will bring (you have to actually go into the existing code base and edit the parameters there; they didn't provide any hooks for it. Edited code is code that potentially won't match the diff when patching).

The latter is admin-configurable, but could present difficulties in scaling for the site (and gives automated spammers twice the output range before an account lock). If people are posting quicker than once every 30 seconds, it's generally not going to be terribly quality posting, and the exception of somebody pumping out formulaic copypasta is something that should probably be handled by designated volunteers, who can circumvent the limit (provided their usergroup includes the "Can Bypass Flood Check" permission).

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
I added in the time limit factor as a little extra bit. Mostly because I wasn't sure if it was pre-programmed for a post size, and a shorter time wouldn't hurt that much if the post size couldn't change.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
The format for errors is awesome but i hate it when people copy and paste it into the forum and you have to scroll all the way down to post.

So that gave me the idea and i looked into the forums BBcodes to see that is disabled so it wont allow the show/hide button on a forum. Thought it maybe something to point out and use when copying error logs onto the forums.

Jiggins

Jul 29, 2019
I would suggest adding sub sections to the texture packs section, for released texture packs and texture pack discussion. I imagine there will be a few people who make a post entitled something like "Sphax 64 for FTB" where the body of the text would be along the lines of "Can someone please make an FTB add-on for [popular vanilla texture pack]. This will make it difficult for people looking for actual texture packs to download as the forum will be flooded with requests and suggestions, causing the released packs to fall back to usually unread pages of the forum.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
I would suggest adding sub sections to the texture packs section, for released texture packs and texture pack discussion. I imagine there will be a few people who make a post entitled something like "Sphax 64 for FTB" where the body of the text would be along the lines of "Can someone please make an FTB add-on for [popular vanilla texture pack]. This will make it difficult for people looking for actual texture packs to download as the forum will be flooded with requests and suggestions, causing the released packs to fall back to usually unread pages of the forum.
This is similar to what my next suggestion was going to be: mod, plugins.
An area where people can suggest something be created, like a new mod, or a plugin.
As well as an area where people can discuss existing mods and plugins.

I like knowing everything has a place :)

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
This is similar to what my next suggestion was going to be: mod, plugins.
An area where people can suggest something be created, like a new mod, or a plugin.
As well as an area where people can discuss existing mods and plugins.

I like knowing everything has a place :)

Those are technicaly already in.

Mod section
Plugin section

Since most plugins are Server side, its seems for to be in server admin area.
Also just adding and adding main sections is gone make the forum way to huge. It is already a bit large on main forums for mmy liking.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
I was going more along the lines of offering a suggestions section as well. But not adding forum sections, more-so giving the Mod Section subsections, with one including requests/suggestions

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I was going more along the lines of offering a suggestions section as well. But not adding forum sections, more-so giving the Mod Section subsections, with one including requests/suggestions

If you want to make suggestions to the mod authors you will need to do so on their websites. The mod authors are not going to come here to read suggestion posts. So no we will not be dding a mod suggestion forum.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to make suggestions to the mod authors you will need to do so on their websites. The mod authors are not going to come here to read suggestion posts. So no we will not be dding a mod suggestion forum.
No, that's not what I meant, I meant like a suggestion for a mod. Like "Oh, this is a good concept, but I don't know how to do it" type thing. I think it's more applicable for the plugin idea though.

Status
Not open for further replies.