Forum Avatars need fixing(?)

343N

Jul 29, 2019
I try to upload this gif file (113x200):
halo3neat-113x200.gif

And the forum crops it into a square...
15725.jpg

Why is it like this, and is anything going to change?

Last edited:

343N

Jul 29, 2019
it should say that in the avatar upload page then. would be better if we could have custom dimensions though and have them retain their proportions

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
No, avatars IN GENERAL are generally square, as it's more compact and takes less space and looks better if you only make a short post.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

343N

Jul 29, 2019
uh yeah but on most other forums I go on (neogaf, facepunch) the avatar is not forced as a square. and being compact? that's what the image resolution limit is there for, to constrain the size of the avatar. (along with preventing people from uploading massive images)

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
uh yeah but on most other forums I go on (neogaf, facepunch) the avatar is not forced as a square. and being compact? that's what the image resolution limit is there for, to constrain the size of the avatar. (along with preventing people from uploading massive images)
You cannot have a forced-image resolution and allow it to be larger than standard at the same time.

343N

Jul 29, 2019
I know that. I never said anything about larger than standard?
Couldn't the avatar uploader at least resize it instead of cropping it? (and keeping the aspect ratio the same)
I know it's probably never going to happen and I shouldn'tve made this thread, i'm just curious, why forced squares?

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I know that. I never said anything about larger than standard?
Couldn't the avatar uploader at least resize it instead of cropping it? (and keeping the aspect ratio the same)
I know it's probably never going to happen and I shouldn'tve made this thread, i'm just curious, why forced squares?

I think this question should rather be directed towards the developers of XenForo, as I doubt the FTB staff has specifically coded the forum to handle the avatars like this...

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking