Forge and Nova

Apparently I own this thread now...Is NOVA a good thing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Okay, back on topic.
Will NOVA have multiple language support? So I could write a mod in, say, Ruby and it'll run just as well as if it was in Java, or C++, or some other language?
main = putStrLn "Ruby or C++ I doubt, but I could see Scala or Clojure.\nDisclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with the NOVA team, and do not know what their plans are."

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
main = putStrLn "Ruby or C++ I doubt, but I could see Scala or Clojure.\nDisclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with the NOVA team, and do not know what their plans are."
Okay, here's the issue here. If their goal is to be compatible with every (major) block-based game, they're going to need to have a lot more language support than just Java. Also, there's a Ruby interpreter that runs on the JVM.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Also, there's a Ruby interpreter that runs on the JVM.
main = putStrLn "Did not know that. Is it just a Java-based program that interprets Ruby code on the fly, or does it actually compile a Ruby sourcecode into Java bytecodes? In the former case, I'm not sure there's much you can do; but in the latter, I see no reason why it couldn't work. However, my disclaimer still stands: Neither do I know the NOVA team's plans, nor do I know what, exactly, allows Scala-based mods to run in Minecraft, or if that could be extended to Clojure or other languages that compile to Java bytecode."

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
main = putStrLn "Did not know that. Is it just a Java-based program that interprets Ruby code on the fly, or does it actually compile a Ruby sourcecode into Java bytecodes? In the former case, I'm not sure there's much you can do; but in the latter, I see no reason why it couldn't work. However, my disclaimer still stands: Neither do I know the NOVA team's plans, nor do I know what, exactly, allows Scala-based mods to run in Minecraft, or if that could be extended to Clojure or other languages that compile to Java bytecode."
Interprets on the fly IIRC, I don't know much about JRuby, I always used the C-based version.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Scala is, if memory serves, a Java derivative, hence why its useable for Minecraft modding. Theoretically, you could use most any language, so long as you had something that could compile it into JVM bytecode. If you've got either the tools or the time, you might could write mods in C++, C#, Pascal, Ruvy, Clean, or even Brainfuck, if you just wanted to. Again, just need to compile it into something the JVM can understand.

(Or, alternatively, make a hackpack that'd allow the JVM to run the code, anyway, even if its actually compiled. Though, you may need to release 3 versions of your mod for the 3 main operating systems. Or just do like I'd do and release for Windows anyway because the rest don't matter.)

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
(println "OO and FP are actually two sides of the same coin. In OO data is prioritized over code whereas in FP code is prioritized over data. (In LISP code is data, this makes it a good blend of OO and FP)")
So if I take a block of code, as an object, and pass it to another routine, is that FP for passing code, or OO for passing data?

And, while I can wrap code as an object in OO, is there any way to wrap an object as code in FP?

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
So if I take a block of code, as an object, and pass it to another routine, is that FP for passing code, or OO for passing data?
Passing functions as function arguments or as return values would count as FP. Which doesn't mean that it's not OO. These two are not exclusive.

And, while I can wrap code as an object in OO, is there any way to wrap an object as code in FP?
In the Lambda calculus everything is a function basically, functions are the "building blocks". I'm not familiar with any functional language but I guess it's similar there.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
BTW I'm starting to get into Clojures lazy eval to much...
Code:
(ns general-clojure.math)

(defn natural
[]
(iterate inc 1))

(defn of-natural
[func]
(map func (natural)))

(defn multiples
[num]
(of-natural #(* % num)))

(defn divided-by
[num]
(of-natural #(/ % num)))

(defn under
[num]
(of-natural #(/ num %)))

(def negatives (multiples -1))
(def whole (of-natural #(- % 1)))
Anyway I will be posting me learning clojure here

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Erm... Thread? Topic?
I can't say too much because normally I'm helping drive it off tangent; but I think you're overdoing slightly.

Considering that this was originally a highly inflammable thread I think having it drive off topic into pure un-combustable silliness is a good thing.

Charrizzard

Jul 29, 2019
Considering that this was originally a highly inflammable thread I think having it drive off topic into pure un-combustable silliness is a good thing.
funny-gifs-cool-guys-dont-look-at-explosions.gif

Reactions: Celestialphoenix