Forge and Nova

Apparently I own this thread now...Is NOVA a good thing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Considering BC would need a significant portion of the entire internet to store all its models in the current format, I don't see 'em moving for a while, at least until Forge comes up with a suitable successor to the Old Ways.

Reactions: 1SDAN and Padfoote

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
It should also be mentioned that new mods will most likely be created using the latest version. Even with mod devs using 1.7 keeping active and updating often things would inevitably get a bit stagnate.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
It should also be mentioned that new mods will most likely be created using the latest version. Even with mod devs using 1.7 keeping active and updating often things would inevitably get a bit stagnate.
Not really. Mods are created where the community is. Not where the latest version is. And if Nova is along we won't have to care about versions as it will handle that for us. Also. If we stay on one version Forge can optimize the core engine

pancakemaster24

Jul 29, 2019
Not really. Mods are created where the community is. Not where the latest version is. And if Nova is along we won't have to care about versions as it will handle that for us. Also. If we stay on one version Forge can optimize the core engine
Do you really think lex would stay on a single version especially since he already update to 1.8 and is about to end support for 1.7

luacs1998

Jul 29, 2019
Disclaimer: I was formerly Lex's forum hunting dog so my views may be biased and prejudiced.

I don't think staying on one MC version is good in the long term. Users are stupid - believe it or not, most don't even know how to change the version in the vanilla launcher!

While I may be repeating Lex's rhetoric here that we should be on the latest MC version at all times, I do it for different purposes. I've seen the kind of people that play Minecraft. People that go "Y NO HORSES HORSES ARE MINECRAFT" when I show them a version of MC without horses.

Are you willing to backport any new toys Mojang adds (and the corresponding frameworks around them)? It'll just result in more hacks all around, making work for people like NOVA leagues harder. And there's also the question of whether a backport violates Mojang IP. They have MS and the MS legion of lawyers behind them now.

Remember, whether a mod (or an API, for that matter) can make it or break it depends on the players. So you need to take into consideration the players' welfare, unless you want to be a small obscure mod catering to 10-20 people at the most.

Ultimately, I think the best way forward is to keep up with Mojang, but with enough discussion and dialogue surrounding the API so that we cal all survive the update together.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Do you really think lex would stay on a single version especially since he already update to 1.8 and is about to end support for 1.7
Doesn't matter where lex goes. There is MinecraftForkage at is called right now. And NOVA doesn't even care about versions
Disclaimer: I was formerly Lex's forum hunting dog so my views may be biased and prejudiced.

I don't think staying on one MC version is good in the long term. Users are stupid - believe it or not, most don't even know how to change the version in the vanilla launcher!

While I may be repeating Lex's rhetoric here that we should be on the latest MC version at all times, I do it for different purposes. I've seen the kind of people that play Minecraft. People that go "Y NO HORSES HORSES ARE MINECRAFT" when I show them a version of MC without horses.

Are you willing to backport any new toys Mojang adds (and the corresponding frameworks around them)? It'll just result in more hacks all around, making work for people like NOVA leagues harder. And there's also the question of whether a backport violates Mojang IP. They have MS and the MS legion of lawyers behind them now.

Remember, whether a mod (or an API, for that matter) can make it or break it depends on the players. So you need to take into consideration the players' welfare, unless you want to be a small obscure mod catering to 10-20 people at the most.

Ultimately, I think the best way forward is to keep up with Mojang, but with enough discussion and dialogue surrounding the API so that we cal all survive the update together.
I'd be willing to backport all major features to the modded version myself if I knew how to do it all. And we can't really get into legal trouble unless we straight-up copy the code. And I don't think we should do that because the mojang code is pretty bad. Really we should do a couple things if we stay on one version
  1. Backport important features
  2. Do not label Forge or whatever with the mc version it is for in the version number (don't do 1.7.10-[whatever])
  3. Optimize MC
  4. Actually communicate with Mojang/MS in a meaningful manner

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Gany has ported most of the 1.8 changes to 1.7

1.9 may be a good time to update. Every other seems to be a rule.

Reactions: RedBoss

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Gany has ported most of the 1.8 changes to 1.7

1.9 may be a good time to update. Every other seems to be a rule.

You might be right about that. The problem is every mod dev has there own opinions on which are the ones to skip odds or evens. :p

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is every mod dev has there own opinions on which are the ones to skip odds or evens. :p
Why_not_both.jpg

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
A lot of that is due to how "intuitive and user friendly" the vanilla launcher is. [it isnt]
(If they're confused by that, then they'll be confused by mod installing anyway)

Popularity isnt the only measure of success, if you're doing something only for popularity then you're a whore rather than a designer.
Also how long has 1.8 been released for now? How many modded users are on it? Oddly enough the players wanting modded content are still where the mods are.

Are you willing to backport any new toys Mojang adds (and the corresponding frameworks around them)? It'll just result in more hacks all around, making work for people like NOVA leagues harder
For game content it'll just be another mod to install; Prisimarine for 7-10 or whatever they call it.

Reactions: RedBoss and 1SDAN

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Popularity isnt the only measure of success, if you're doing something only for popularity then you're a whore rather than a designer.
Also how long has 1.8 been released for now? How many modded users are on it? Oddly enough the players wanting modded content are still where the mods are.

More of pimp Ide gues. Or any major corporation.

Last edited:

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
There's nothing wrong with wanting your work to become popular. I'd love it if my LP series became popular, but I will admit that it isn't my primary concern at the mo, I'm more just doing it for fun. Seriously, don't be a hipster, kids.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Wanting to be popular is fine, its a good ambition to have- and the positive feedback/achievement is very rewarding in itself.
If you can enjoy doing something you love and have fun, it'll show through and you'll inherently become more popular as a result.

Somewhat different to those who do the design equivalent of lying spread eagle in a wheelbarrow. If someone's constantly pandering to every whim it shows in the final product and very rarely in a good way.

Reactions: 1SDAN

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
The idea of skipping versions seems pleasant at first until you realize that updating to 1.9 from 1.7.10 isn't going to bypass the issues with 1.8 at all. It just going to throw two times the amount of crap onto the mountain that we as devs are going to have to climb over. People have tried this before... "oh xycraft is just going to skip 1.6.4 and be released for 1.7.10... well maybe for 1.8".
The end user also only ever sees the very top visible layer of content, and even then there's a lot you can get past them. If mojang implements a feature in 1.9 or 1.8 that we want to have in a lts version of 1.7.10 (MinecraftForkage) it wouldn't need to be the same foundation/framework at all. Lets say that mojang adds ducks in 1.9. It really doesn't matter what the equivalent in 1.7.10 lts gets added is as long as it looks, walks, and quacks like a duck. That way the end user would still be satisfied and won't say "Y NO DUCKS DUCKS ARE MINECRAFT".

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Who said we were planning to update to 1.9? 1.9 probably won't be that different from 1.8.
I would like to warn you/anyone from trying to speak for the collective "we". It's neither wise nor validated. That and looking through the last two thread pages will give you your answer.