[Forestry] The perfect bee?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
Greetings, I've been messing around with bees, trying to optimize each specie and to get all their stats to be pure instead of mixed. I was wondering, is it possible to get the best stats on all my bee species or is that just an impossible/too complicated task?

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
It's possible but it takes alot of effort and luck
And alot of rinse and repeat, metaphorically speaking.
YDmUZ.png

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Back in 1.2.5, I bred my meadows and forest bees to have fast worker, 3 drones, nocturnal, flying, cave dwelling, +/-2 for temp and humidity... pretty much the perfect bee. It was a royal pain to get it, then found out the 1/2 the traits of my perfect bees were lost when the bee mutated into a hybrid of a new strain. ugh.

After that, I found that it is only worth while to breed all the extra traits in when you move the bees from breeding and into automated production. (or unless you need the traits)

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
My current plan is to get all the princesses and at least one drone to have the same active and inactive traits. After that, I run them through automation. I've gotten most of my overworld bees to this point. I'm also trying to get Short/Fast traits onto my Meadow bees but of course I have to cross them with my nobles.

Now I'm trying to figure out what I should do for my Imperials.

Currently I have: (Lifespan, Speed)
Noble x5: Short, Fast
Majestic x5: Shortened, Normal
Imperial x1: Normal, Slower

No matter which one I choose, my new Imperial should have a better lifespan than what the Noble already had. Unfortunately the speed has a chance to get worse. So should I breed the Nobles with the Majestics to get the rest of my Imperials or should I breed the Nobles with the Imperial drones or should I breed the Majestics with the Imperials?

One other idea I was thinking about is to refine the Majestic first by breeding it with the Imperial. Hopefully I can get the Majestic to pure Normal, Normal. In the process, maybe I could do the same for the Imperial. Once they are both pure Normal/Normal, I could breed the Nobles with the improved Majestics or Imperials...

This stuff is so complicated. I wish Forestry would add more sorting machines into the mod for more automation convience other than just the Apiarist pipe. I'm assuming the only way to fully automate this is with some sort of complex computercraft or sortron setup, right?

btw, what 'ultimate stuff' do we actually get from these bees other than the backpacks that can carry 45 items? I've searched through the uses of all these combs and haven't really noticed anything.

Thanks

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Unless you're in an always daylight mystcraft age, nocturnal is better than any lifespan and unless you're in a no weather age or a desert, then flyer is a real close call as well.

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
Ultimate stuff:

Without extra bees, you can get bees which can make lava and glowstone (nether bees, natch), you can make an alveary (significantly faster, no frame replacing), you can make capsules to control the weather (!), and you can even get bees which get you neat effects like a beacon of regeneration.

WITH extra bees, you can also get metals and dyes from the bees (most ores, actually - even ruby dusts and uranium!)

KoreRekon

Jul 29, 2019
What do you want for lifespan? If your trying to breed a new species then it seems like you'd want short so you can get more attempts quicker. If you're trying to get the bee's honeycombs then it seem like you'd want a longer lifespan, so it can produce more before it dies. Is that correct?

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
Strictly speaking, once you get automation going, lifespan ceases to matter - you just wait for the new princess and drones to be installed and you're golden. In fact, if you want to play with extra bees machines, you'll want a shorter lifespan, so you can produce DNA faster. Pre-automation, though, going for longer lifespans is probably better for yields (and worse for breeding).

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
Another question: What is the pollin stat? I checked the forestry website and didn't see anything about it. Is it anything I really need to worry about when creating the master race? :D

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Another question: What is the pollin stat? I checked the forestry website and didn't see anything about it. Is it anything I really need to worry about when creating the master race? :D
I think it has to do with the rate at which a bee can multiply the flowers around its hive. So it only matters if you want to make a flower garden or breed the new trees (?) at a faster rate.

I assume your master race will be primarily for a certain comb/produce, so for that it doesn't really matter.

I'm not sure though, I could be wrong xD

SunnyDaze

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty sure pollination has to do with the new tree breeding mechanics, as you need bees to cross-pollinate trees. I haven't dabbled with the tree breeding at all though. But I suppose it might also have the added effect of how fast it makes flowers. So many bees, so little time.

No, more flowers in range have no effect whatsoever.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Lifespan is important.

Aim for short lived bees- makes breeding quicker and you get more drones for liquid DNA.
Automated beekeeping makes replacement less of an issue.​
Fast working is also something to aim for, as well as nocturnal traits.
I also recommend making your nether bees docile. (all the hostile traits can be removed with luck- then again explosive Imperial bees are fun)​

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
I've noticed that since arboriculture was added, flowers seem to spread in a far wider range around my apiaries than they did before (much more than the 9x6x9 area that the beealyzer reports). Just starting to get familiar with tree breeding myself, so I'm not completely sure what the numbers mean yet either.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I've noticed that since arboriculture was added, flowers seem to spread in a far wider range around my apiaries than they did before (much more than the 9x6x9 area that the beealyzer reports). Just starting to get familiar with tree breeding myself, so I'm not completely sure what the numbers mean yet either.

I noticed this as well. Also I only started with vanilla roses and dandelions- but got a whole spread of EBXL flowers.

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
I think the flower pollination behaves something like bonemeal - as long as the hive is active, you wind up with flowers everywhere inside the pollination range. It only seems to work for flowers that the hives recognize, though - I don't think Indigo works.