Forestry RF power drain on idle

zenkmander

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone know why Forestry machines constantly drain RF power when idle? It seems like a decent amount too, not something trivial. Is this intended? Makes me wonder about setting up a fermenter/still to feed biofuel to my compression dynamos. I'm worried that the drain will have a noticeable impact on overall RF production.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Power perdition (power loss) is hardcoded in BC and it's related addons now. So in order to conserve power, I would suggest having an energy cell in between your power source and the conduits to your Forestry's machines and have a high redstone signal requirement on it, so you can switch the power on or off whenever you need it.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jokermatt999

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhere over the rainbow.
Power perdition (power loss) is hardcoded in BC and it's related addons now. So in order to conserve power, I would suggest having an energy cell in between your power source and the conduits to your Forestry's machines and have a high redstone signal requirement on it, so you can switch the power on or off whenever you need it.

I agree with that, it makes for ugly and larger designs but I guess its the only solution unless Sengir choose to be more open minded about this, but he already did so much about his mod that we can't ask for this, I don't think he would ever add any redstone signal control on any of his machines, same thing goes for Railcraft rolling machine, don't be surprised it suck up power even when not needed (but I think its a lot less than Forestry machines)

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
The Forestry machines already have one type of control options with the help of gates. The machines can tell a gate whether or not it has any work and that in turn can trigger a redstone signal that turns on the supply of power.

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhere over the rainbow.
Problem with gates, you can't use them on any kind of TE conduit, so you have to either supply the power directly from Buildcraft power generation which is obsolete and unable to have any kind of cells to stock the extra power, or rely on those cobblestone structure pipes that works #1 and accept gates, but its makes it so ugly and take a precious side of the machine just to control its state of it while we may prefer to have a itemduct/fluiduct or AE system hooked to this precious side...

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
well we can have a work around with that chuck in a gate and a dynamo with a leadstone is fine too then have it set to redstone signal when work needed and make the dynamo redstone sensitive best used if you have red power alloy wires

if all else fail get mekanism and mekanism generators chuck in a wind turbine and use universal cable

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
BuildCraft power generation is obsolete only because you choose to make it so. ;)
That's simply not accurate; RF production is superior in every meaningful way. Some people enjoy tinkering with classic automobiles, that doesn't imply the Model T is not obsolete.

Back on topic, while the Redstone cell/redstone signal method is absolutely viable to avoid power loss from Forestry/RC machines, I would suggest that if that much power drain is noticeable, you simply aren't generating enough power yet. The answer is MOAR POWER!

Reactions: Padfoote