Forestry orchards

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Jaredus

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone messed with the new multifarms in Forestry yet? I can't seem to get the Orchards to work. I've tried using both dirt and humus, but with humus the saplings never grow, and with dirt, the saplings grow into trees but nothing happens after that. The multifarm won't accept energy and no apples get harvested.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
The orchard works fine. You plant them on dirt, not humus. The multifarm needs a gearbox block and will accept energy from it. You just replace 1 block that is not in the 3rd rows ring with a gearbox and input energy through that. There is also the hatch for output/input and a valve for water input.

Jaredus

Jul 29, 2019
Right, I've got all of that set up fine, but nothing is happening. Plenty of power, water, fertilizer, oak saplings, but nothing happens. It doesn't even place the saplings, I have to manually place them.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Well it is a manual farm. Once you place the trees and grow them it will harvest apples from it. The trees will stay there undamaged. The initial setup is that all is needed. The orchard should require no inputs but fertilizer and water. Everything else would be set up by you beforehand.

Jaredus

Jul 29, 2019
I'll try letting it go for awhile and see if it harvests anything I guess, after some of the saplings grow into trees.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Assuming you are using oak trees, did you put them in a treealyzer for them to become apple trees? Otherwise the machine probably won't recognize them. Once you do then it should start pulling apples from the trees.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Orchards to not harvest trees. Orchards harvest fruit from any tree that has been run through a Treealyzer, assuming that the Treealyzer says it will produce fruit. Orchards do NOT harvest wood or saplings, nor do they even damage the tree.

Jaredus

Jul 29, 2019
Correct, I understand that. I specifically went with the orchard as I just wanted to get a nice supply of apples to juice for my fermenters. I already have a railcraft tree farm set up so wood and saplings weren't necessary.

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
Can I ask how to make a treealyzer? NEI isn't showing how to make it and I can't find it on the forestry wiki...

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, question, I set up my farm and set it to manual farm. I laid the dirt for an apple orchard. Does the dirt need to be that whole pattern or can it just be a square around the farm and it will harvest it? Also how long does it take to get apples?

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
I think that there just needs to be forestry fruit-bearing trees within a certain radius (can't recall it right now) and it will harvest.

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know of any way to make saplings through tree breeding that make faster orchards? Right now it's DEATHLY slow, not worth pumping apples out to use as apple juice.

Ardor

Jul 29, 2019
Also, for anyone who is also wondering how to make a Treealyzer, it is the same recipe as the Beealyzer with copper instead of tin. The wiki page does not have this information, and I had to dig it out of wiki text from the new forestry website.

I hope this helps as much as it helped me!

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
I updated my forestry and am using plenty of power and fertalizer and its going fast. I am getting a ton of apples. The key is treealizing your oak saplings :D

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
If you use generic oak sapling in the NEW arboretum it automatically treealizes the saplings and turns those into apple oak saplings which can then be used in an orchard.

cloj63

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know if grass block is fine for Orchards? Or you need to prevent the dirt from turning into grass?