Forestry and Cotton

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Andrew Hazelwood

Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone!

Quick question if I may take a moment of your time. I really like the farm system that Forestry adds to the game. (I'm using FTB Unleashed btw.) I was wondering if there was some way to get cotton to be used by the automatic farms. I would use flax, but it doesn't seem to be in this mod pack as it is part of Redpower 2. (According to this, RP2 isn't part of FTB Unleashed.)

I've tried every arrangement with the circuits to no avail. Am I missing something? If I can't do it in game, is there a config file I can edit to force forestry to use cotton as a crop? I've picked through the files I can find but again, to no avail. I just wanted to see if I was missing something or if this is just impossible.

Thanks in advance!

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
the pink cotton seeds are treated as 'crops'. Unfortunately, it wont pick the cotton and leave the plant, making the grow cycle longer, but if you program the circuit board like you were using wheat, it will work for cotton. Note that you can't plant wheat and cotton on the same field as a result, and get a glut of cotton seeds that have zero use.

Andrew Hazelwood

Jul 29, 2019
I've gotten it to harvest the cotton, but it won't replant the cotton seeds. Does this mean I'll have to replant by hand every time?

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
i`ve heard that MFR`s machinery supports cotton. so if forestry`s is no good you should try MFR.

Andrew Hazelwood

Jul 29, 2019
Eh. Not a big fan of MFR. It's a nice mod and well done, but I like the more centralized setup of Forestry - it seems to synergize better with how I build. But if worst comes to worst, I might HAVE to use MFR.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
I've gotten it to harvest the cotton, but it won't replant the cotton seeds. Does this mean I'll have to replant by hand every time?

Use a managed, not unmanaged, wheat farm and prime the seed spot by placing a small buffer in the top right GUI after the whole farm is planted. I have it running so I can confirm it works.

Andrew Hazelwood

Jul 29, 2019
Okay. Something is going wrong here and I don't know what. I set it up in a creative world to test it out. I set up the 3x3x4 farm blocks and one gearbox powered with a Stirling Engine (for the sake of simplicity). I set up the dirt and planted all the cotton. I tried using bone meal and letting it grow naturally. I'm using an intricate circuit board, all 4 slots having used bronze tubes (for wheat). It still only picks the fully grown plant. It does collect both the cotton and the seeds, but it still does not plant. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: For some reason it decided to randomly work after ~12-15 plants had been picked. I changed nothing. -.-

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know if the straw golem will harvest cotton or at least knock it off the plant like he does sugarcane so the wood golem can gather it ? I haven't tried him yet.

I'm currently using MFR cotton.

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
I was about to make this exact same thread.

It sounds like the end result is that the multifarm will plant and harvest the cotton, but will harvest the entire plant, leading to an abundance of cotton seeds? So I guess my question is whether cotto seeds can be dumped into a fermenter or similar machine to be turned into...anthing? Plantballs or bio-mass or anything? (Side-question: has anyone else experienced lag and crashing related to harvesting cotton?)

While we're on the topic of multifarms, I guess I'll drop in a couple more queries...
What the deal with soil being converted to sand? I know that it's a byproduct of the process, but does it only happen with managed farms or certain types of farms or what? If I have a manual farm, does that mean I'll have to deal with the soil decaying into sand?

Also, I'm a long way off from exploring all the nooks and crannies of all the mods in FTB, but is apatite a truly exhaustible resource? My OCD for renewable recourses and self-sufficiency cringes every time I remember that I can't make fertilizer without it. So, in FTB unleashed, is there *any* way to get a steady supply of apatite? UU-matter? Some kind of alchemy or magic? I even heard that bees are an option, but haven't verified that, and I've disabled magic bees because it gives me lag (am I the only one?). And "you get so much apatite it's a non-issue" is not a sufficient answer.

Sorry to kinda hijack the thread, but my curiosity won't let me not ask :p

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
I am pretty sure you can put cotton seeds into a squeezer and get seed oil. A critical component of bee breeding.[DOUBLEPOST=1380079042][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh and to get renewable fertilizer just put the MFR fertilizer in a crafting table and it will turn into forestry fertilizer. You can make MFR fertilizer with a sewer and composter. FYI put an upgrade into the sewer.

Reactions: Larmonade

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
to get renewable fertilizer just put the MFR fertilizer in a crafting table and it will turn into forestry fertilizer. You can make MFR fertilizer with a sewer and composter. FYI put an upgrade into the sewer.

So I've been poking around with the forge lexicon, the MFR unifier, and the crafting table, and been attempting to get a transformation from anything to anything of IC2 fertilizer, Forestry fertilizer, and MFR industrial fertilizer...and nothing works. I've checked as many Config files as I can think to check, and there's been no settings there that I've seen that would change this, though I admit that it's very possible that I've overlooked something. So My question is: is there some way to actually make this work, does this require a mod that I don't have, or did this previously work but has since been disabled...? I'd really love to set up a fertilizer factory for my multifarms, but if there's no way to turn MFR or IC2 fertilizer into the Forestry stuff, then please let me know that I'm wasting my time :)

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
So I've been poking around with the forge lexicon, the MFR unifier, and the crafting table, and been attempting to get a transformation from anything to anything of IC2 fertilizer, Forestry fertilizer, and MFR industrial fertilizer...and nothing works. I've checked as many Config files as I can think to check, and there's been no settings there that I've seen that would change this, though I admit that it's very possible that I've overlooked something. So My question is: is there some way to actually make this work, does this require a mod that I don't have, or did this previously work but has since been disabled...? I'd really love to set up a fertilizer factory for my multifarms, but if there's no way to turn MFR or IC2 fertilizer into the Forestry stuff, then please let me know that I'm wasting my time :)
IIRC you need to have PFF(Plugins for Forestry) to do that.

Reactions: Larmonade

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
IIRC you need to have PFF(Plugins for Forestry) to do that.

That was, indeed, the problem! - I'd disabled that mod and a few others related to forestry because the crazy bees were wreaking havoc on my framerate for some reason.