Forestry Alveary Stabiliser Mechanics?

Agouti

Jul 29, 2019
Hi All,

Just trying to get a definitive answer on what the Alveary Stabiliser blocks do in the Forestry mod (bees).
The FTB Wiki (written in engrish) at this point says:

The Alveary Stabiliser is a block used in the alveary structure. It will prevent new species from appearing in the alveary output. Changing alleles is still permitted. (eg A diamond princess with wonderful speed and produce but has a high chance to revert to a lapis. )

From what I can read, that means it stops (for example) a Diligent Princess and Unweary Drone from producing Industrious offspring, which has very little use.

Then I thought, what if it lets you cross-breed traits from other strains without losing the Princess' strain? To test:

1x Industrious (pure) Princess + 1x Common/Noble Hybrid drone
which produced
Common/Industrious Princess
Common/Industrious Drone
Noble/Industrious Drone

So... not that - though the inactive side did stay pure.

I've never had a mutation from a nice, pure strain in any of the automated Apiaries so I can't see it doing anything there.

I'm not sure what other possibilities there are. Perhaps it is the other way around - it preserves traits when mutating to new species?

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
It prevents bees from 'de-evolving', basically some bees(Diamond bee is an example) will revert to a more basic bee this will prevent that.

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
It simply prevents mutations. If you put a Common Princess and a Cultivated Drone in an Alveary with a Stabilizer block the chance to get the mutations: Noble, Diligent, etc is zero. This is very useful if you want to transfer a trait from the drone to the princess. For example high fertility.

Remember that this might still produce a Cultivated-Common hybrids of some sort.

Agouti

Jul 29, 2019
It prevents bees from 'de-evolving', basically some bees(Diamond bee is an example) will revert to a more basic bee this will prevent that.
Thanks, I'm not far enough down the trees to have encountered this yet.

It simply prevents mutations. If you put a Common Princess and a Cultivated Drone in an Alveary with a Stabilizer block the chance to get the mutations: Noble, Diligent, etc is zero. This is very useful if you want to transfer a trait from the drone to the princess. For example high fertility.

Remember that this might still produce a Cultivated-Common hybrids of some sort.

I suppose it might be useful to remove that extra 10% or such chance, but I did feel there had to be more to it than that.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I can definitely see the use for this if you are using vanilla forestry breeding methods, especially when trying to make your breeding stock as good as possible before getting the mutation (my base stock is currently nocturnal, flyer, cave, long life, normal production, fast pollination all other traits are base ones) It's somewhat annoying when trying to breed in say x4 offspring from wintery bees to your base commons when the cultivated mutation has a very high chance to reset all the base traits. With this the mutation can't happen so you can stabilise your breeding stock lines before mutating allowing to breed back the good traits or at least it seems to work that way to me.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, I'm not far enough down the trees to have encountered this yet.

I suppose it might be useful to remove that extra 10% or such chance, but I did feel there had to be more to it than that.
It prevents the type of princess from becoming another type. If you have a imperial-majestic queen, and you put it in with a majestic-imperial drone, that princess cannot become a majestic princess. It prevents the main trait of a bee from changing. This helps with making purebreds faster or adding traits to bees that you've already bred.