For those of you crashing on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draconix

Jul 29, 2019
Try going to options > advanced options > additional java parameters and pasting this code:

Code:
-XX:PermSize=64M -XX:MaxPermSize=256M

I didn't come up with this, I just found it floating around. Hopefully it can help some of you before you need to start whining :D

Laslon

Jul 29, 2019
Try going to options > advanced options > additional java parameters and pasting this code:

Code:

I didn't come up with this, I just found it floating around. Hopefully it can help some of you before you need to start whining :D

Hey cheers for the help thought you'd cracked my problem, however when I use that cod, the console says could not create virtual machine any ideas on a solution. Cheers either way.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019

Code:

Do you mind if I link this solution as a fix on the Help Desk or make a Knowledgebase article using it?

Asone

Jul 29, 2019
hmm really? I've tried it a few times I just get the virtual machine fail stuff good to know

Draconix

Jul 29, 2019
Hey cheers for the help thought you'd cracked my problem, however when I use that cod, the console says could not create virtual machine any ideas on a solution. Cheers either way.
That's odd... Could you post a crash report?

hmm really? I've tried it a few times I just get the virtual machine fail stuff good to know
Could you upload your console?

Do you mind if I link this solution as a fix on the Help Desk or make a Knowledgebase article using it?
Of course!

Azgult

Jul 29, 2019
^ this fix is for mac's only btw
It isn't. 'Nuff said.
Just an idea: try removing the first part, i.e. leave just "-XX:MaxPermSize=256M" or try lowering the amount from 256M to 128M or so. Also ensure you are running the latest java.
Of course!
You mean you don't mind - right? That is rather ambiguous :p

Draconix

Jul 29, 2019
You mean you don't mind - right? That is rather ambiguous :p
Haha yeah. I just want to get the info out there, from what I've seen in the chat, too many people are having this problem.

Just an idea: try removing the first part, i.e. leave just "-XX:MaxPermSize=256M" or try lowering the amount from 256M to 128M or so. Also ensure you are running the latest java.
Why would you want to remove the PermSize? I was under the impression that it is typically a bad thing to set Permsize but not the MaxPermSize.
I'm no coder though, just looking to learn :p

Azgult

Jul 29, 2019
Why would you want to remove the PermSize? I was under the impression that it is typically a bad thing to set Permsize but not the MaxPermSize.
I'm no coder though, just looking to learn :p
I meant set MaxPermSize only. I don't really know how java manages memory allocation, but as far as I know the initial amount allocated to anything doesn't really matter as it will just resize when needed. So the PermSize option doesn't really matter. It could however potentially cause problems, for example if it is set to a too large amount (which admittedly 64k shouldn't be) or on the off change that the java version doesn't recognize the option or rejects it (As all option which start with X are already technically unsupported and XX even more so. Still, if it were regected, maxPermSize probably wouldn't work either). So honestly it probably doesn't matter whatsoever, but hey, it's worth a shot.

Draconix

Jul 29, 2019
I meant set MaxPermSize only. I don't really know how java manages memory allocation, but as far as I know the initial amount allocated to anything doesn't really matter as it will just resize when needed. So the PermSize option doesn't really matter. It could however potentially cause problems, for example if it is set to a too large amount (which admittedly 64k shouldn't be) or on the off change that the java version doesn't recognize the option or rejects it (As all option which start with X are already technically unsupported and XX even more so. Still, if it were regected, maxPermSize probably wouldn't work either). So honestly it probably doesn't matter whatsoever, but hey, it's worth a shot.
Sorry, I just ignored you! I've been pretty darn busy.
But thanks for that description, it was fairly interesting, although you completely lost me :p

Status
Not open for further replies.