Fluxuating Memory Usage…?

Menoch

Jul 29, 2019
Greetings,

I've been looking for an answer to this situation, however can not seem to find one, or I have been looking in the wrong place. If there is a solution/answer I have missed, please forgive.

I am running a Mac Mini 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5 with 8GB of Ram, HD4000

I have run 1.4.7 and 1.5.2 modpacks without any problems in the past, However when playing on the new 1.6.4 Direwolf20, Horizons, and/or TechWorld2 "Recommended" versions (after upgrading Java6 to Java 7.45), I am getting strange Ram fluctuations I have not before noticed running prior FTB Modpacks.
I have no outside mods added, I am using the default texture pack.
I have 3G of Ram allocated via the Options in the FTB launcher.
The only Advanced JVM argument I am using is -XX:permSize=512m (added after initially encountering this RAM usage predicament)

What I am seeing:
When I press F3, I see that out of the 3G Ram allocated, 56% is allocated Memory Usage (upper right hand corner), and the line above that is a percentage of that Ram currently being used (I think).
The % starts at 21%, and with each second that passes, increases by 1% up to about 50-56%, then pops back down to 21% again after causing the game to lag for about half a second.
This appears to cause lag spikes within the world as it takes a second for blocks/struck mobs to catch up.
I understand that at varying times the game will use more or less Ram depending on program demands, however this is like clockwork. The Ram usage always increases and never decreases until it reaches the 50-56% mark.
I am not sure if this will eventually cause a crash or not, as I have been trying out of sheer frustration to find any remedy (besides giving up altogether), and thusly haven't been running a mod pack for more than an hour or so… the lag makes me want to pull my chin hair out.

I have deleted and then re-installed the launcher. I have deleted and reinstalled "X" mod pack.
I have checked my MAC's Ram and the system reports my Ram is fine.
I have tried varying JVM arguments found here and there.
I have even checked the air in my car's tires….not really sure what else to do.

Any advice or pointers would be welcome, and I thank you for your time.

Menoch

EDIT: Damn Emotes.

Menoch

Jul 29, 2019
The 1.6 packs are brutal on the system.
I highly suggest trying Eyamaz's arguments here: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/jvm-arguments-for-modded-minecraft-updated-11-11-13.28994/

Thank you, Ash.
I have tried this, however the same thing is happening. I am unsure why and am, frankly, baffled.
On a whim I downloaded and am running Solitary Craft from the AT Launcher. I wanted to see if it is maybe just Java7, Minecraft 1.6.4, Mountain Lion… the color socks I am wearing…. I don't know. I am grasping for answers… anything.
I loaded every possible mod I can for SC, and even threw in Underground Biomes, and the game is running smoothly between 21% and 27%, and bouncing between these numbers. No lag, no problems.. even with Optifine running. I, again, am out of ideas.

Menoch

Jul 29, 2019
I do appreciate your help, Ash. If it is any help, I notice when I play FTB on any of the 1.6.4 mod packs, NEI is VERY late on the input. I can type something in the search, and it takes anywhere from 3 to 5+ seconds for NEI to pull up items I search for… just a very slow experience altogether.

progwml6

Launcher Dev
Launcher Developer
Mod Developer
Nov 15, 2013
what launcher build is this on? we have tweaked things to further improve performance recently

TheSandwichMakr

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure, but it might be that it's using more and more ram until it realizes that there's too much being used and that maybe it should do something about it; then it cleans a bunch of stuff up, taking a bunch of power to do this. You could try adding the flag -Xincgc which enables a garbage collector that from what I understand cleans up the smaller stuff; this reduces gc efficiency, but will do it more often so there's no huge lag spike. This is java's garbage collector though, and it may be some mod or the launcher cleaning up its stuff in which case this will have no effect. Again, I'm really not sure this will work; it's worth a try though :/ You can also try adding -Xmn512M which may use more ram, or it might take some from the overall max heap size. From what I understand; this creates a space for newer thingys where the gc works more often. The older thingys that aren't cleaned up quickly are then moved to another space. Again, not sure if it'll make much of a difference, but it's worth a try.

TL;DR: Add "-Xincgc -Xmn512M" and it may do something cool.

Menoch

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, SandwichMaker. I did try your JVM Parameters, but received an error message in the Console… something about the Heap being too small for the memory. Either way it stopped the Loading Process in its tracks.

However….

I did notice I had, in my Applications folder, Java Preferences with Java SE 6 x64 and Java SE 6 x32 both check marked. Beneath them it said "Whenever you launch a Java application, it will check for these Java settings in the Order you have them".
Java 7 wasn't listed, though Java 7 was shown in my system preferences panel as the one being used. I am not sure if that was the problem or not. It is, perhaps possible that there was a conflict between Java Preferences and the way Java was being handled. My tiny Man Brain does not know these things. But I deleted the Java Preferences application, and upon launch of Direwolf20 1.6.4, I was met with quick loading, smooth framerate, freshly baked goods and scantily clad women….. okay maybe not the last 2 things, but Holy Smooth FPS, Batman! I did notice that the memory counter in the upper right hand corner is doing the same thing, but I am not experiencing lag spikes or loss of Framerate.

I am utilizing Eyamas JVM Parameters Argument, but instead of keeping used Ram at 2.0, I kept it at 3.0. FTB DW20 is at 64% of Allocated Ram, yet still starts at about 29%, and increases to about 56% at a 1% per second rate. But again no lag as of yet (20 minutes). My chin hairs are safe thus far. I will post more here if I notice that it begins again.

TheSandwichMakr

Jul 29, 2019
Yay :D If you do ever need to use those parameters though you could try it without the xmn option or try making the xmn option 1024M. Glad you figured it out :)