Flat challenge, anyone?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

solidity

Jul 29, 2019
So, I really like playing Minecraft (and FTB) with self-imposed limitations. I did stuff like turtle-only mining, energy only by renewable sources etc. One thing I started recently was a Flat challenge for FTB. There's only two rules: no Twilight Forest portals or Mystcraft Ages, since it would trivialize the whole thing and (obviously) play on the standard Flat map. I'm loooking forward to finding out what can and can't be done within these limitations.
In terms of progress, I've made an Iron Golem Farm, Rubber Farm, a Thaumcraft Crucible, a IC2 Recycler and started breeding Bees. Currently, I'm hunting for a village with at least 4 pieces of tin, so I can make a battery to finally build a Generator, since powering the Recycler from traded Redstone has proven somewhat slow.

This is obviously a pretty tedious way of playing FTB and not interesting for everyone, but some people may enjoy the challenge.

Edit:
Further updated the screenshots, advancing in the techtree, yay :)
Imgur Album

Edit2:
fun fact: flatlands spawns about 1 village per 500x500 square. (empirical result of my currently 3x3k explored map)

AKamiKaziKat

Jul 29, 2019
I love survival games and survival maps, i recently created (and now uploading/posting) a scrap challenge.
Wouldnt mind seeing this created :)

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Couldn't you just create a mystcraft world for ores? You could find a village with bookcases, get a chicken (for feathers) and you're set. In fact that's easier than getting a diamond for twilight forest, so you might want to disallow that as well.

Also, maybe make a rule about only making UU matter for iridium, since that can make virtually anything... that might be a way off on a superflat world though :p

solidity

Jul 29, 2019
I'm playing on the Mindcrack pack which doesn't have Mystcraft, so it didn't occur to me. I would agree that Mystcraft ages (and any other similar "fully featured" alternate dimensions) would be considered off limits, too. As for UU-Matter, if you can get there, by all means use it. I'm still stuck on getting sand, glass or diamonds to broaden the materials I can make. At least the Cobblegen is automated now and I'm getting a somewhat reliable stream of scrap for scrapboxes ;)

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
The main problem is I don't see any way to renew Tin or Copper. Iron's renewable with Iron Golems. Redstone I think you can trade with Villagers for.

Otherwise, I've played superflat before, just not superflat with FTB.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, that's right! Though I still don't know how to get bees past a couple basic breeds. Do ExtraBees bees turn up in Village Apiaries?

MadDogTen

Jul 29, 2019
Get some Thaumcraft started, You can turn Iron into Tin, Copper, etc. Well, If you can get the Crystals somehow.

Seems like it could be fun, and I'll deff have to try it sometime. May I suggest editing the Flat Land a Bit, and adding some stone so you have a few things spawning on like 1 or 2 layers? It will still be hard, but a little less so.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
You just need to travel widely a hit up every thaumcraft dungeon you can find. I find tin, copper, gold.......in them all the time. I even found 5 diamonds once between 2 of them.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
True, but higher-level machines need tonnes of metals, dungeons are finite.

To edit, I think Extra Bees or Thaumcraft might be the way to go for Tin/Copper.

solidity

Jul 29, 2019
So, a quick update: Tin and Copper can drop from Scrap Boxes, so they are pretty much renewable, Redstone can be traded for with villagers. I got a Thaumcraft shard from a Thaumcraft Villager, but I can't research because I'm missing Ink Sacs. Made a 2 deep pond, but no luck with squid spawning so far.
The idea with the Rockcrusher is nice, but since you need 12 diamonds to build one, I think I'll go with a Macerator. It still needs 3 Diamonds or a Wolframium Grinder, but it's probably easier to obtain ;)

Edit: Ha, just read up on Squid, they only spawn in water between level 45 and 62, so that's why I didn't get any... Let's build a squid-tower then ;)

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
In Vanilla, the main challenge I set for myself was to get to the Nether. It takes a long time, because I'm nomadic. I take what I need, stay in the village for a day, and I run off when it's morning. You have a "home base", it seems? Farms tend not to be all that portable.

solidity

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, in vanilla Flatlands, I tend to be nomadic myself, just pick a direction to walk in, raid each village you find and slowly upgrade the equipment. Before starting this, I thought about how it could be accomplished to tech up and there's no way to carry all the necessary stuff around. So I made camp at the village closest to 0/0 and am currently on my 1k round, after doing the 333 and 666 round. Those rounds refer to exploring the world up to the respective corners, so the 1k round goes from +1000/+1000 to -1000/-1000. I raid every village on the way for stuff (need diamonds atm) and once the inventory is full, I either drop off less important stuff or head home.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, in vanilla Flatlands, I tend to be nomadic myself, just pick a direction to walk in, raid each village you find and slowly upgrade the equipment. Before starting this, I thought about how it could be accomplished to tech up and there's no way to carry all the necessary stuff around. So I made camp at the village closest to 0/0 and am currently on my 1k round, after doing the 333 and 666 round. Those rounds refer to exploring the world up to the respective corners, so the 1k round goes from +1000/+1000 to -1000/-1000. I raid every village on the way for stuff (need diamonds atm) and once the inventory is full, I either drop off less important stuff or head home.

Flax seeds. Use string to make canvas bags.

solidity

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I'm on that already, but there's still the fact that if you want to use your machinery you need to reassemble and power it which is a lot of time and effort. So I think I'll abstain from the nomadic playstyle this time

solidity

Jul 29, 2019
The problem being, that you need glass to make one, which is what I'm lacking at the moment. And neither glass or sand can be obtained from any loot chests (blacksmith, TC tower) or trading. It also looks like I won't be able to rely on bees for metals, since all the ore-bees are based on the Rocky branch and the Apiaries in the villages only had the basic Forestry bees. Although once I get some BC and IC2 power going and manage to run a Magma Crucible and Industrial Centrifuge, the ressources should be coming in steadily.

One of the funny things is the abundance of steel. I'm almost decked out in steel armor and most of my tools are steel as well. Steel in all its forms seems to be a pretty common blacksmith chest item.