Fixing 1.6.2 Crashes

TheBaconator

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm building my own 1.6.2 modpack basing it off of IC2 Experimental builds with addons and everything else, but I keep on getting crashes. So I redid everything, doing one mod at a time to find where the crash was and to just remove it.

Everything was going good until I decided to install Modular Powersuits and its two other mods required to use it. I installed them into the mods folder and I ran Minecraft and I loaded up to the main menu. I created a new world as I have been doing every time I installed a mod. It created it and instantly went to "Saving World Server" or whatever it says when you leave a world. I knew it messed up, so I went to the folder and deleted the three worlds. I reopened Minecraft and went to make a new world to make sure it would play smoothly like before and it did the same thing as before: Instantly went to closing the world. I have checked thoroughly and I left no traces of the mod in the folder. Also, it didn't leave a crash log. I've disabled all IC2 mods (since it's the experimental one) and it still crashed. Is there a way to fix this or do I have to completely redo the whole process? I've had to before and I really don't want to do it again. Any help is appreciated.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
It may not have left a crash log, but you can check in the other client, server, and Forge logs. Sounds like it might be the internal server having the issue (hence why the whole client didn't crash), but that's just a guess.

TheBaconator

Jul 29, 2019
It may not have left a crash log, but you can check in the other client, server, and Forge logs. Sounds like it might be the internal server having the issue (hence why the whole client didn't crash), but that's just a guess.

Alright, I'll do that. What should I look for? There's probably not going to be a big line saying "This is why you crashed" is there? :p

Edit: I somehow got a crash report. Does this help? I can't make sense of it.

Attachments

• crash-2013-11-03_20.54.25-client.txt
    21.3 KB · Views: 42

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
The crash is happening in NEI, but this doesn't necessarily mean it's NEI's fault (other than him not range-checking in his code, but that's forgivable). I remember having some NEI-related crashes with some of the later IC2 development versions (before the new experimental ones). I can't help but suspect that considering your pack is IC2-oriented.

Other than making sure NEI is up to date, all I can suggest is to try different versions of IC2. It's still experimental, after all, and they could easily be breaking things from build to build.

TheBaconator

Jul 29, 2019
The crash is happening in NEI, but this doesn't necessarily mean it's NEI's fault (other than him not range-checking in his code, but that's forgivable). I remember having some NEI-related crashes with some of the later IC2 development versions (before the new experimental ones). I can't help but suspect that considering your pack is IC2-oriented.

Other than making sure NEI is up to date, all I can suggest is to try different versions of IC2. It's still experimental, after all, and they could easily be breaking things from build to build.

Alright thanks, I'll try. I tried to do that last time, jumping from build to build but it didn't do much. Could it vary with the build number or is there a specific number of builds that could work? For now, I'll just keep trying builds, I guess.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
It might be worth saying that your crash log might even be unrelated to your initial problem.

Something you could try is installing everything, leave NEI out, and see what happens.

TheBaconator

Jul 29, 2019
I removed NEI, NEIPlugins, and NEIAddons and it works. I can move around in the world!

Now, what do I do to add it back? Without NEI, it's like I'm making a cake without a recipe -- it just doesn't work out.

Edit: And also, does that mean that even if this was an NEI problem, could I still not have Powersuits?

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
I've actually played with mods without NEI before during times when it hadn't updated yet. It's possible, thanks to wikis, just not as handy! There'a also mods like Craftguide, which aren't bad, but no NEI.

Anyhow, just add NEI back by itself without the plugins. Maybe one of them is the culprit.

TheBaconator

Jul 29, 2019
Well the culprit is NEI itself. No workaround, I assume? I have to wait for an update? I'll look into Craftguide.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
You might send that crashlog to Chickenbones at his NEI thread on the Minecraft Forum, because he could still potentially fix it with some range-checking for future versions. I honestly can't tell you if it's another mod causing it, because there's just not enough to go by in the log. It's just one of those annoying things that will hopefully work itself out with future versions.

TheBaconator

Jul 29, 2019
Alright well I reverted to the 1.6.2 non experimental versions of IC2 so that I could just carry on with my life and have NEI but now whenever I look at a recipe, I crash. I try to make sense of it but I suck at it. If you could possibly help again, it'd be great. I have NEI, NEI plugins, and NEI addons. Everything is 1.6.2. I don't have any addon mods to IC2 that are for the experimental version. I really don't know what to do anymore haha.

Attachments

• crash-2013-11-04_18.08.26-client.txt
    30.8 KB · Views: 49

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
It's one of the NEI add-ons causing the crash, related to IC2. This is probably the same thing which was getting me before. I remember looking for certain things would crash me. See if removing one of those helps (NEI Plugins, most likely), and if so, you might have to live without it. And/or maybe try a different version of IC2 like before.

TheBaconator

Jul 29, 2019
I removed Plugins and it still happened. Removed Plugins and Addons and now I'm getting the same "closing server" thing as before. This is so frustrating :/ I'll try a lot of different versions I guess.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Just a bit of a question: why are you sticking with 1.6.2? I find that many mods have made updates and bug fixes that are only available to 1.6.4. Like I'd guess that your current problem is fixed if you built a 1.6.4 version of your modpack.

TheBaconator

Jul 29, 2019
Just a bit of a question: why are you sticking with 1.6.2? I find that many mods have made updates and bug fixes that are only available to 1.6.4. Like I'd guess that your current problem is fixed if you built a 1.6.4 version of your modpack.

Mainly because IC2 is still 1.6.2, unless I'm mistaken.

Edit: Just tried out the experimental build on 1.6.4 and it worked! Maybe this will solve all of my problems.

TheBaconator

Jul 29, 2019
Well I tried out 1.6.4 NEI with IC2 Experimental and it still crashes. Try it without IC2 Experiemntal? Still crashes. Looks like NEI just doesn't work in 1.6.X. What other alternatives are there besides CraftGuide? I really don't like CraftGuide to be honest.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Well I tried out 1.6.4 NEI with IC2 Experimental and it still crashes. Try it without IC2 Experiemntal? Still crashes. Looks like NEI just doesn't work in 1.6.X. What other alternatives are there besides CraftGuide? I really don't like CraftGuide to be honest.
I've had absolutely zero issues with NEI in 1.6.4; and this is in three separate modpacks that I've toyed around with. One of them even has the latest IC2 Exp build in it. The only issues I've had was with Compact Solars; I could never get it to work without crashing, but simply removing it fixed any issues it caused.

TheBaconator

Jul 29, 2019
I guess it's just my luck. Anything special you did in those packs? Am I forgetting a step or something? Install Forge for 1.6.4 and then put mods in mod folder. I installed Chicken Core for NEI plus addons and plugins. I don't even know anymore lol.