First ME Encoded Patterns

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
What do you do with your first few patterns in the Molecular Assembly Chamber? Points for laziness, bonus points for creative laziness (since that's really the point of the MAC).

And... GO:

My first pattern is always to make more blank patterns.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
I make a MAC that's at least 10x10 with 5 pattern providers. I proceed to add recipes for all wooden things, all stone things, all iron things, etc. Some things like gears get special treatment and get done before the other patterns because I need them more.

You never know when you'll need a stack of boats and a few bowls. Or a bunch of wooden shovels.

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
I make a MAC that's at least 10x10...

Gah! I would certainly have made a 3x3 first, with patterns for Assembler Containment Wall, Heat vents, and substeps for pattern providers. You sir, seem to be the sort that buries his proverbial tech tree the long hard slow way using a spoon so as to start at the top after all that effort.

Honestly, just the time spent collecting your quantity of materials, I'd have made so many gears, boats, and bowls that auto-crafting them would be pointless. My last game I powered my ME storage and crafting with the first 3 MJ producers I made so I could make more.

Props for going big and not going home, though.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
planks, sticks, torches, gears, me storage disk items, all AE items, then things as I need them. Once I have my MAC up, everything I make gets put into a pattern/automation process.

apemanzilla

Jul 29, 2019
I make a tiny 3x3 one, teach it how to make gears and logistics pipes and such, then use a linked logistics pipes system for autocrafting. (I never have enough quartz!)

Reactions: bigtwisty

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
I always start with any of the AE stuff I'll need often. First blank patterns, of course, then all of the buses, interfaces, conversion matrices, stuff like that. Then it's basic crafting stuff that I'll need constantly, like sticks and things

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
Put in every uu crafting recipe
That begs an interesting question: When you have multiple methods to create something, like say, smoothstone, how would your AE system decide which programmed method to use? I'd hate to end up with all my UU burned up when it just needed to send cobble to my cooker. (Sure, you could just exclude the UU>Stone recipe, but it seems like there ought to be a way to prioritize which patterns (or ME interfaces with patterns) get used first, just in case I manage to use 124k cobble. I'm sure it could happen.)

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I usually start with the basic AE components, I don't usually make patterns for the "finished products" until I have plenty of spare quartz. So the Pattern Encoder, the ME Interface, Import Bus, etc. these I make in the Crafting Terminal using NEI. Fluix Dust, Silicon, Basic and Advanced Processors etc. are the first things I make the patterns for. Then a few basic items like cobble->sand, sand->glass, glass->panes, and then I consider filling out the placeable AE components as my quartz supply increases.

The chances are, you're using up your last few quartz crystals to make as many blank patterns as you can afford. Why would you want waste one of them on a pattern to make something that you can't afford to make?

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
I made the first with the empty pattern. Very fast I made for my powersuit - its good when you drown in the middle of the ocean and can have a new suit within a few clicks :D

I have also made Ultimate solar panel with patterns. Then its very useful.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
That begs an interesting question: When you have multiple methods to create something, like say, smoothstone, how would your AE system decide which programmed method to use? I'd hate to end up with all my UU burned up when it just needed to send cobble to my cooker. (Sure, you could just exclude the UU>Stone recipe, but it seems like there ought to be a way to prioritize which patterns (or ME interfaces with patterns) get used first, just in case I manage to use 124k cobble. I'm sure it could happen.)

The MAC creates items in the order they are put into the pages.

Put all of your Minium/UU recipes on the very last page, and if you have other recipes for the same item that don't use this, it will use those recipes before it uses minium/uu recipes.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
The MAC creates items in the order they are put into the pages.
Put all of your Minium/UU recipes on the very last page, and if you have other recipes for the same item that don't use this, it will use those recipes before it uses minium/uu recipes.
Really? I thought it would give up if it can't use the first recipe.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
First thing I do: Teach it how to recreate itself.

And thats how humanity ends.... the birth of the replicators.

My first pattern is the blank pattern pattern (obviously), the next few are import/export/storage buses (since im always automating at that time) and then TE machines and machine pieces.

Reactions: Loufmier

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
How do you make the MAC prioritize external processing patterns in the ME Interface over patterns in the Pattern Provider(s)?

(Interesting project idea, Juanitierno: make a full MAC that makes more MACs that make quarries or turtles and scripts for turtles to dig more materials to produce more MACs... I don't know enough about turtles to know if that's possible or the best way. *scurries to the wiki*

Reactions: JunpakuKarasu

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
For some reason my first pattern is always a piston. Kind of silly, I could just make 256 pistons at once and leave them there instead.

Reactions: casilleroatr

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
How do you make the MAC prioritize external processing patterns in the ME Interface over patterns in the Pattern Provider(s)?

(Interesting project idea, Juanitierno: make a full MAC that makes more MACs that make quarries or turtles and scripts for turtles to dig more materials to produce more MACs... I don't know enough about turtles to know if that's possible or the best way. *scurries to the wiki*

Known universe jammed with MACs! No vacancies!

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
I doubt that a turtle could program an ME Blank Pattern.[DOUBLEPOST=1379942425][/DOUBLEPOST]
For some reason my first pattern is always a piston. Kind of silly, I could just make 256 pistons at once and leave them there instead.
The first time I built an AE system, I did just that. The second time, I was too low on redstone to waste that much, as I'd used a ton of it buffing up my TiC tools.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I doubt that a turtle could program an ME Blank Pattern.[DOUBLEPOST=1379942425][/DOUBLEPOST]

No, but if all AE functions were supported in OpenPeripheral, things could get *really* scary !

My first ME Patterns are always more AE stuff, such as ME cables, buses, storage chips, etc.,.

As for pattern pages, the first time I used AE, anything and everything I crafted went into AE. I filled up about 9 pages. These days, however, I just encode the stuff I know I'm going to make 10+ of. 5 pages is more than enough.