Firin' mah lasarz

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well it's not unheard of, I just don't really think anyone could require that much processing power. If they worked in a large group, where all members used the same AE system, I would imagine this to be practical then, but not for a single person.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Well it's not unheard of, I just don't really think anyone could require that much processing power. If they worked in a large group, where all members used the same AE system, I would imagine this to be practical then, but not for a single person.

*shrug*

What else am I supposed to do with all my materials?

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Though, it is useless to say "don't go overboard" with things in FTB, choose a project that is challenging in the sense that it would require a lot of resources, but would do something very useful to you. An over-sized AE system would do nothing for you. It would be similar to buying a super computer to run tetris. That would be an example of "because I can", rather than "because it is useful to me".

Similarly to my situation, where I choose to build 12 steam boilers to power, 216 engines, into 60 magma crucibles, to power 96 thermal generators. I've vamped up my matter fabricator energy input to about 2k EU/t on average. It peaks at 3.5k during the day and when my legacy lava system is in purge status. This project required a vast amount of resource/time, but provided me with something incredibly useful. I am generating UU at twice the rate I did before.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I'm all about because I can.

If I only built useful things, then I'd have been done on this map already.

Reactions: YX33A

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Expand your imaginations/limits then. There is always something more you can do. Find an effective way to expand your current systems. Discovering how to integrate my v2.0 lavagen system into my existing legacy network took a very long time for me. That process in itself is very rewarding. That is unless you do not take pride in the work you do.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Expand your imaginations/limits then. There is always something more you can do. Find an effective way to expand your current systems. Discovering how to integrate my v2.0 lavagen system into my existing legacy network took a very long time for me. That process in itself is very rewarding. That is unless you do not take pride in the work you do.

None of that would be "because it's useful to me". Every next step is towards a bigger vanity build, as such it's "because I can" that's all I was saying.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, well I usually design my systems around them being expandable. I usually expect my capabilities to grow, so I plan ahead for those kinds of things.

Best of luck I supposed =).

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I challenge you Poppycocks. Find the AE MAC max.

Try not to break your server. :p

Now that might be over my current supplies, I reckon I could do a maximum of 32x at the moment, half patterns, half cpu's.

that would look great though...

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019
Dude, count the lasers in that pic man there's 18 of them to me 18 lasers is about as "more" as you can get.
I find 9 is a reasonable amount for a laser array.
Well,but each table only uses 9,and I like to have things super-fast
Back in my 1.4.7 DW world,I nearly died of boriness waiting for the table(9 lasers at the time)finish doing 30 basic processators :(

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well it's more about the system fitting the use. I don't request single items from this, rather I check my gate inventory and request them in bulk. I realized that an on-demand/ala carte system for assembly tables would be a function of speed. The only factor effecting speed is the number of lasers and more lasers = more space.

I had settled/compromised for a system where I would have to be aware of my inventory. It made more sense for me, simply because I don't mind planning ahead. It saved me materials & space. The latter being the most important, since my base is located in a mountain.

The fundamental principle of design isn't to make just the best system. It's to make the best system to meet your needs. That is to say you must compromise and make adjustments according to the unique design situation you are in. It is why I have almost stopped building things in creative, unless testing, simply because of my space requirements. Though I could technically survey the area before, it is always much easier to build it where you wanted it and go from there. You catch serious design flaws almost immediately and can make adjustments before you waste too much time.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Now that might be over my current supplies, I reckon I could do a maximum of 32x at the moment, half patterns, half cpu's.

that would look great though...
I saw a vid of you taking down a giant sequoia with a power saw. I think you're up to the challenge. :D

I might suggest though, iterative layering bigger and bigger alongside no network connection until a server backup each cycle so it won't break the time/space continuum... :eek:

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
That's cool and all, but I just don't get what sort of setup requires that many lasers/chipsets/gates/whatever it is.

This is FTB, what does need have to do with it? More lasers means faster production. That is the only justification I need to build more of anything. If I could dual-wield Vajras I would.