Filling a non-square shape with turtles

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jof16s

Jul 29, 2019
Dear all,

I need a program, for turtles, that will fill/flatten a non-square shape. I could write one myself, but I'm not familiar enough with lua to be able to do it in a reasonable time. Could anyone help?
The shape I'm trying to fill is an octagon. Each side is comprised of 64 blocks and I'd like to not have to fill/flatten it manually.

Also, other useful programs for octagon shapes welcome.
Thanks in advance.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Programming shapes is really easy. The turtle API is designed to move the turtle in steps. Just draw out the shape that you want, then move it down one, do it again. Diagonals can be done by going right, then up or right, then down. (Obviously). Make sure you have it doing the turning towards the inside of the shape or it'll be too big.

I thought you were asking for a program to scan a premade shape of any dimension/shape, read it to memory then dig from that. That'd be difficult. This you can do by yourself with maybe 30 minutes of reading. It'll be more valuable that way too. Look up CC Turtle API and go from there.

You don't need to know anything about Lua. If you know anything about programming that should be enough.

Jof16s

Jul 29, 2019
Programming shapes is really easy. The turtle API is designed to move the turtle in steps. Just draw out the shape that you want, then move it down one, do it again. Diagonals can be done by going right, then up or right, then down. (Obviously). Make sure you have it doing the turning towards the inside of the shape or it'll be too big.

I thought you were asking for a program to scan a premade shape of any dimension/shape, read it to memory then dig from that. That'd be difficult. This you can do by yourself with maybe 30 minutes of reading. It'll be more valuable that way too. Look up CC Turtle API and go from there.

You don't need to know anything about Lua. If you know anything about programming that should be enough.

I sort of am. I have the octagon already built. I just need to fill it in and, in one area, flatten it.
I already have extensive experience with Python, so I'm good for programming. But I seem to be hitting a block and always make a mistake or 200 with lua. It took me half an hour to program the octagon builder I currently have. :\

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
It's a matter of syntax then. If you know what an API is, then knowing that writing APIs for a lot of commercial grade software is done in python might be of use to you.

Just use the API. Built-in commands. It's the same as including <cmath> when you program in C.

Jof16s

Jul 29, 2019
It's a matter of syntax then. If you know what an API is, then knowing that writing APIs for a lot of commercial grade software is done in python might be of use to you.

Just use the API. Built-in commands. It's the same as including <cmath> when you program in C.

Oh god. I did not like the C family when I had to do them.
But I get what your saying. I just can't seem to get the basics down in lua. I'm great with python (IMO, of course), but for some reason the syntax change is tripping me up. Maybe it's a mental block.

I'll look into creating one. I have an idea right now for how to do it. I'll just need to get familiar with the crafty turtles first (never used them before)