Few questions about youtubeing

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MRHeavyMetal_SIR

Jul 29, 2019
I want to be a youtuber but have a low upload speed what steps could i take to have good quality video's but also not spend 8 hours uploading them?

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
Someone created something that you can so your computer shuts down after a set amount of time, so you could leave it uploading over night?

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty much what's said above. The guy who made this one, Vechs, made it configurable however so you could set it to how long YouTube says its gonna take

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
imo, 360-720 is the sweet spot. When I did some youtubing I uploaded in 480, and the only people who complained I couldn't give a rats ass about anyway.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

kynapse

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't want to download a utility to do it and you're running Windows, you can use the command line to set a delay on the shutdown command:
Code:
shutdown /s /t xxx
Where xxx is time in seconds.

This will give you hybrid shutdown (faster startup) but only works in windows 8.
Code:
shutdown /hybrid /t xxx

If you run a mac, there's an option in System Preferences -> Energy Saver to shutdown at a certain time.

And lastly, if you work on Linux, you should know this already. But for the sake of completion, the command is
Code:
shutdown -h time
Where time is hh:mm absolute or +m for the number of minutes.

As for actually speeding up uploads... smaller size is my recommendation. I don't specifically know how Youtube rendering works, but perhaps a lower framerate would work too.

tindin

Jul 29, 2019
I want to be a youtuber but have a low upload speed what steps could i take to have good quality video's but also not spend 8 hours uploading them?

make it 420 and compress it really good and dont make it to long ...it'll still take time to upload though

where did the shut off computer answers come from?

wow

Jul 29, 2019
he never asked about shutting off his damn computer. to OP go look up render settings. its all about codecs and bitrates. fuck .avi use mp4 always

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
windows movie maker can convert to mp4, and is hiiiiighly reccomended to do so. That will generally cut your filesize by 75% in some cases.

Reactions: wow

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I find that HD minecraft isnt' more enjoyable than SD minecraft.

Some people will bitch about it, but that might be one in a hundred, if you can get that viewership.

The beauty of this game is that graphics aren't the main point. It's the content. Win your viewers over with content. Don't worry about the definition. That's secondary =).

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
Don't upload in HD then, it doesn't matter what quality of video you have, 720 is actually perfectly fine, as long as you upload good content then you'll get plenty of views :) direwolf had bad video quality and audio quality way back when and look where he ended up.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019

Let's just be clear; regardless of which option you choose, smaller resolution equates to a reduction in quality, and anything involving a lot of motion isn't likely to get much compression regardless of which codec you use. The end result is that smaller file size for faster uploads defeats the idea of "good quality...not spend 8 hours uploading" if you've got a slow connection.

The thing you have to remember with youtube right now is that they're pushing hard for full and proper mobile access. Joe might not mind watching a 480p video on his desktop monitor at default player size, but someone on their iPad who maximizes a video only to be confronted by a wall of blotchy pixel vomit is not going to speak highly of your content and thus, your channel. People spend sometimes large sums of money on display hardware and they feel frustrated when they try and take advantage of it only to be rewarded with unwatchable content because the resolution of the source is inadequate. In other words, if you can't upload in HD, you can't upload in HD, but keep in mind that it's not something to be indifferent to. Despite what others might suggest, it doesn't matter what people got away with a couple of years ago. If you want to draw a viewership based on Minecraft content, every little detail will work against you. Fact of the matter is, the vast majority of people who declare they want to be a youtuber realize within about 3 months that it's hard as hell and bail, so if you can tough it out for four months at 480p you're already ahead of the pack.

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
he never asked about shutting off his damn computer. to OP go look up render settings. its all about codecs and bitrates. fuck .avi use mp4 always

The point of having an automatic shut off means you can leave it uploading while you do something else. If you don't have great Internet the uploading becomes a massive hog and limits what you can do. If you can leave it going overnight, and even make it a private video so you can choose when to "upload it", then you don't have to worry about compressing it further.

FtbBossWhoIsAw3s0m3

Jul 29, 2019
i can say one thing NOT to do, though, !!DO NOT!! CALL YOUR ISP. You will get "please restart your router" then "would you like a technician to come and help you at the cost of $150?" then the technician will say, "sorry, cant help you" or "there we go, fixed" (30 seconds after he leaves) upload speed dives straight down. You after the process, "FUUUUUUUUUUUUU". I know this from experience.